Ham Radio contacts for Puerto Rico?

Started by OldGuy, September 24, 2017, 08:46:47 PM

OldGuy

Anyone know how to get in touch with Ham Radio contacts to get messages back and forth from PR?

NY015COMMS

First suggestion: Go on to the website of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), and search for the Puerto Section of the ARRL. The leadership is listed for that section. Also, if you are a ham radio op, or know someone who is, pass traffic to who it is you are trying to reach, into the National Traffic Net, or your local traffic net. Now, the relarity is that it's going to take quite a few days to reach the destination, because of the widespread outages, and, if a ham there has back-up power, they are going to be on the air only when needed. As a member of ARRL, let me know if you need some assistance.

Capt. Barry A. Schwartz
NYC Group Communications Officer

OldGuy

Quote from: NY015COMMS on September 24, 2017, 09:29:24 PM
First suggestion: Go on to the website of the ARRL (American Radio Relay League), and search for the Puerto Section of the ARRL. The leadership is listed for that section. Also, if you are a ham radio op, or know someone who is, pass traffic to who it is you are trying to reach, into the National Traffic Net, or your local traffic net. Now, the relarity is that it's going to take quite a few days to reach the destination, because of the widespread outages, and, if a ham there has back-up power, they are going to be on the air only when needed. As a member of ARRL, let me know if you need some assistance.

Capt. Barry A. Schwartz
NYC Group Communications Officer

Thank you!

PHall

May take the PR Hams awhile to get their antennas back up too. 120mph winds are not your antenna's friend.

JoeTomasone

Right now hams in Puerto Rico are not taking inbound traffic since there's essentially no way to pass those messages - roads are impassible, fuel is scarce, phones are down, power is out.    They are, however, taking messages from locals informing loved ones about their status and passing them to stations on the mainland.   I have passed a number myself.

If you are a ham, monitor the SATERN net (14.265) and there is a ham (KK4DCX in San German) passing lots of traffic on 12.270. 

Spam

We've got a member in the unit closest to me who has been passing operational traffic with PRWG for the past week.

It is happening, with the same caveats mentioned above. Operationally necessary at this point (limited hours due to fuel/genny issues).

V/r
Spam

PS Hey wait, Cicero - thought you weren't going to post again? (grin) You sound like Cyborg!  ;D

OldGuy

Quote from: Spam on September 25, 2017, 01:29:48 AM
We've got a member in the unit closest to me who has been passing operational traffic with PRWG for the past week.

It is happening, with the same caveats mentioned above. Operationally necessary at this point (limited hours due to fuel/genny issues).

V/r
Spam

Thanks!
Quote from: Spam on September 25, 2017, 01:29:48 AM

PS Hey wait, Cicero - thought you weren't going to post again? (grin) You sound like Cyborg!  ;D
Nope, what I said was "Probably will not post much again..." and I mean that. Appreciate the good stuff here, do not need the negatives here or because I post here.