Main Menu

Re-Joining as a Sm

Started by CAP_Marine, August 29, 2017, 01:30:47 PM

CAP_Marine

Howdy all, it's been quite a while since I've been here. With everything happening all around me in the Houston area, I know that the ops tempo is going to build for local squadrons. My membership lapsed due to life reasons back in 2011, but I had just gotten promoted to Captain, was a GBC, NASAR Sartech III, AO, etc. and feel I can probably be of some help once tasking comes down. I tried to do a search but didn't come up with much on this, and I know that a lot has changed since I was a member as well.

My question is if anybody has any suggestions on re-joining and whether there are any fast or fast-ish tracks to membeship. Basically, what should I do or what can I do to expedite the membership process and be mission capable? I realize that some of my skills may have perished, but I am also an operations guy by profession so confident I can spin back up quickly.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP_Marine on August 29, 2017, 01:30:47 PMBasically, what should I do or what can I do to expedite the membership process and be mission capable?

You can't.

You'd have to find a squadron to join, pass their membership board, and the fingerprint & background check.
Odds are normal meetings and day-to-day are going to be suspended for the near term, so even the first part will
be a challenge.

You're also at a bad part of the FY curve as a lot of agencies, including the FBI slow down this time of year.

If you sent your app in today, you'd probably not be fully approved until sometime in October, and then you'll
need to restart work on your quals.

If you want to get into this game, you'll need to find another organization.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP_Marine

Thanks Eclipse, good to see you're still around. I figured that was the answer but thought I'd at least go fishing for a glimmer of hope. I don't remember it taking that long to get membership when I first joined!

Eclipse

Quote from: CAP_Marine on August 29, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
Thanks Eclipse, good to see you're still around.

Well, that makes one of you!   :)

Quote from: CAP_Marine on August 29, 2017, 02:07:12 PM
I figured that was the answer but thought I'd at least go fishing for a glimmer of hope. I don't remember it taking that long to get membership when I first joined!

The last BGC I sent in took about 2 weeks, without EOY pressures at play.
Assuming you've got a unit to go to, you'll need the fingerprint card and to get those done, too.  I generally budget about a month from "signed app" to new member,
absent the FP cards being in a cabinet which is underwater, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

GaryVC

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 01:59:59 PM
Quote from: CAP_Marine on August 29, 2017, 01:30:47 PMBasically, what should I do or what can I do to expedite the membership process and be mission capable?

You're also at a bad part of the FY curve as a lot of agencies, including the FBI slow down this time of year.

That hasn't been our experience recently. SM applications have been processed quickly. That said I understand the Red Cross is looking for volunteers.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: CAP_Marine on August 29, 2017, 01:30:47 PM
Howdy all, it's been quite a while since I've been here. With everything happening all around me in the Houston area, I know that the ops tempo is going to build for local squadrons. My membership lapsed due to life reasons back in 2011, but I had just gotten promoted to Captain, was a GBC, NASAR Sartech III, AO, etc. and feel I can probably be of some help once tasking comes down. I tried to do a search but didn't come up with much on this, and I know that a lot has changed since I was a member as well.

My question is if anybody has any suggestions on re-joining and whether there are any fast or fast-ish tracks to membeship. Basically, what should I do or what can I do to expedite the membership process and be mission capable? I realize that some of my skills may have perished, but I am also an operations guy by profession so confident I can spin back up quickly.

1. Have your fingerprint card and application filled out in advance, and start going to meetings now.
1a. Get the CPR/AED card renewed while you get through the 3 meeting period, and review any FEMA IS courses you need to get out of the way if you haven't done so from your last stint.
2. Figure out which guy in the squadron is SET qualified in what you want to do.
3. Review the task guide for the job you want to do.
4. Convince that guy to give up a weekend to run you through all the tasks to validate them.
5. Make sure you are in the loop for any COMMEX/SAREX activities in the near future.

stillamarine

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 01:59:59 PM

Lol, according to my wife (who also LOL'd) there is no slow down at the FBI at this time of year, maybe a little between Thanksgiving and Christmas and that's because of people being off, including for backgrounds. This is actually her busiest time of year.  The delay is in Montgomery period. She gets backgrounds back in about two hours. Now.....if there's a shutdown...........
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

Commo

Howdy all, it's been quite a while since I've been here.

Welcome back, Marine.  As a CAP Veteran, I'm sure you're aware that by the time the paperwork's finished and you've polished the rust off, the current emergency will [should] be over.  I hope that doesn't discourage your urge to re-upping in CAP.  The community, cadets, and CAP will still be here.

Commo

CAP9907

Your basic Ops Quals terminology is out of date; I suspect that some of your other training may be also. Not to say that you are not capable or a whole lot has changed, but perhaps an 'eased-in' refresher should be on deck prior to charging out there? Best of luck,

DK
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

MSG Mac

In addition to all the above your Captaincy may not be reinstated. Minimum PD for Captain is Level 3, not Level 2 as it was in 2011.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MSG Mac on September 08, 2017, 08:15:46 PM
In addition to all the above your Captaincy may not be reinstated. Minimum PD for Captain is Level 3, not Level 2 as it was in 2011.

But former grade can get reinstated, not based on PD but the grade.

etodd

Start today! Maybe you've missed Harvey and Irma ... but Jason is on the way. There are plenty of disasters in the future (unfortunately).
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

LSThiker

Quote from: etodd on September 08, 2017, 09:58:42 PM
but Jason is on the way. There are plenty of disasters in the future (unfortunately).

I do not think Jason falls under DR work by CAP, more like the actual police.  >:D

But no, Jason is not on the way.  There is no Jason in that list.  Rather:
Jose, Joyce, Jerry, Josephine, Julian, and Julia

Also, no Jose is not on the way, the models show it swing NE in the mid-Atlantic.

Luis R. Ramos

Maybe Jose will not hit mainland US but my info was that it will hit some of the lesser Antilles. Which were already devastated by Irma. Disclaimer: this info is from about 1400 EST. It could have changed.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

MSG Mac

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 08, 2017, 09:47:34 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 08, 2017, 08:15:46 PM

But former grade can get reinstated, not based on PD but the grade.

As long as you meet the current criteria
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member