The use of FaceBook jobs wanted as a recruiting tool!

Started by OldGuy, August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: Gunsotsu on August 28, 2017, 07:39:41 PM
No.

Just no.

Why?

Just why?

If done correctly, skills learned in CAP can be the fist in the door into some professions. It may attract people with skill sets that your unit needs. Not any worse than some of the "recruiting" (read "fishing") techniques that some units use.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NC Hokie

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Update: Facebook "Jobs" Feature a SUCCESS!

You gave us links to three jobs posted on your squadron's Facebook page.  What makes this a success?
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

OldGuy

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 28, 2017, 09:50:08 PM
Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 28, 2017, 05:11:58 PM
Update: Facebook "Jobs" Feature a SUCCESS!

You gave us links to three jobs posted on your squadron's Facebook page.  What makes this a success?

In two weeks, three senior member volunteers with skills, and a cadet officer volunteer new in the community.

OldGuy

PReeves

I feel like it is a nice and legitimate way to get the word out to the community. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, it probably will work better than using flyers and other conventional recruiting tools due to the online outreach and networking aspect of it. I also like how you have tailored the posts to feature specific specialty tracks to target a more specific audience than just asking for "members". Well done!

OldGuy

Quote from: Lt. Blues on August 29, 2017, 02:08:02 AM
I feel like it is a nice and legitimate way to get the word out to the community. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. In fact, it probably will work better than using flyers and other conventional recruiting tools due to the online outreach and networking aspect of it. I also like how you have tailored the posts to feature specific specialty tracks to target a more specific audience than just asking for "members". Well done!

Thank you. Wing PAO gets the credit, they demonstrated the tool and how to customize same. It is doing well!

etodd

Great job! FB can get the word out quicker than most any other method. People that know someone, who knows someone else that knows the perfect candidate for the job, will share the posts within hours, if not minutes. Fantastic use of technology. :)
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

You'd be better off spending a few shekels on Adsense placements with clear targeting.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:17:29 AM
You'd be better off spending a few shekels on Adsense placements with clear targeting.

Free is getting results. Why would spending money be a better plan?
4 adds, two weeks, four new members. O'd say that works.

Eclipse

Well, if it works, it works - how do you get three new senior members through orientation meetings and
membership boards in two weeks?

If the cadet is already an officer and moved to the area, he/she would have found you through
normal channels, but if you're getting results, so be it.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 04:17:51 AM
Well, if it works, it works - how do you get three new senior members through orientation meetings and
You don't.
If the cadet is already an officer and moved to the area, he/she would have found you through
normal channels, but if you're getting results, so be it.
We are, thank you. And maybe, maybe not, but he responded to this after being here for months.

Eclipse

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 29, 2017, 12:44:13 PM
You don't.

Well, then they aren't "members", they are potential members, and anything from setting incorrect
expectations, loss of interest, to BGC issues may preclude their joining.

Anyone in the door is better then an empty doorway, but don't assume a 100% hit rate on inquires.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 02:05:26 PM
Well, then they aren't "members", they are potential members, and anything from setting incorrect
Really? Maybe we should use your method. Tell us all what tool you used to bring three prospective seniors and a cadet in the door over the last three weeks? And tell us your onboarding process and experience, please. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge of why people drop out of your pipeline. Maybe we can all learn from that experience!
Anyone in the door is better then an empty doorway, but don't assume a 100% hit rate on inquires.
Great advice, thank you very much!

Eclipse

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 29, 2017, 02:12:16 PM
Really? Maybe we should use your method. Tell us all what tool you used to bring three prospective seniors and a cadet in the door over the last three weeks? And tell us your onboarding process and experience, please. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge of why people drop out of your pipeline. Maybe we can all learn from that experience!

Random chance and an active program are all the recruiting the unit currently does.

As to on-boarding - the organization has policies and regulations which sloe the roll on new members, and the reality of experience is that "potential members"
join and stick at a rate of under 50%, probably closer to 25%, with a lot of variables in the mix.

People are well-intentioned and enthusiastic in the recruiting, and less so when it's check-writing time.

You might try being a little less defensive.  Your OP was touting a "success" with no explanation, and there are legit concerns
about recruiting this way since you don't have "jobs" to offer, you have volunteer opportunities.

This is no different then when the military, especially the Navy, used to post "help wanted" ads in the classified sections of
local papers and you had to call the office to find out it was a recruiter.

It's also possible you found the only 3 people in your area who will go for that type of ad.  If I was looking for a job in
finance and you wasted my search time, you wouldn't get a call for a joiner.

Sales people know it's conversions, not discussions that generate revenue.
people

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 02:56:39 PM
Random chance and an active program are all the recruiting the unit currently does.
Hmm, we do that too. But thanks for the idea!
You might try being a little less defensive.  Your OP was touting a "success" with no explanation, and there are legit concerns
about recruiting this way since you don't have "jobs" to offer, you have volunteer opportunities.
Defensive? Moi? Nope, just responding to questions asked.
This is no different then when the military, especially the Navy, used to post "help wanted" ads in the classified sections of
local papers and you had to call the office to find out it was a recruiter.
Really? Maybe you missed the whole VOLUNTEER part of the jobs post. OTOH all FOUR respondents indicated they were excited at the VOLUNTEER opportunity.
It's also possible you found the only 3 people in your area who will go for that type of ad.  If I was looking for a job in
finance and you wasted my search time, you wouldn't get a call for a joiner.
Well sure, with the attitude you appear to approach these ads with, I have little doubt you'd be upset. OTOH all FOUR of the respondents were excited at the volunteer opportunity.  Again I appreciate your advice and wish you the very best of luck with your program.

Eclipse

Not to pick a nit, but all that happened with the cadet was he remembered he was still in CAP and needed to
explore a transfer, which of course would also be pending the required membership board. The ads didn't recruit him.

The others, time will tell.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:08:06 PM
Not to pick a nit, ...
But you did anyway!
....but all that happened with the cadet was he remembered he was still in CAP and needed to
explore a transfer, ...
That actually is contrary to what he told me at the squadron picnic last night, but OK.
The ads didn't recruit him.
He disagrees.
...which of course would also be pending the required membership board.
Really? Our DC told me that there is no membership "board" for a transfer. But I am sure you know what you are talking about.

Again, really appreciate the positive feedback and advice. Good luck with your "random chance" efforts.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: donaldfmorgan on August 29, 2017, 03:23:54 PM
Not to pick a nit, ...
But you did anyway!
....but all that happened with the cadet was he remembered he was still in CAP and needed to
explore a transfer, ...
That actually is contrary to what he told me at the squadron picnic last night, but OK.
The ads didn't recruit him.
He disagrees.
...which of course would also be pending the required membership board.
Really? Our DC told me that there is no membership "board" for a transfer. But I am sure you know what you are talking about.

Again, really appreciate the positive feedback and advice. Good luck with your "random chance" efforts.

Wow, you're not going to last here too long with an attitude like that.