Hurricane Harvey 2017

Started by Eclipse, August 25, 2017, 04:35:02 PM

Eclipse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Harvey_(2017)

Seems like with all the non-news in the news lately, this came out of nowhere...

"That Others May Zoom"

Laplace

And heading straight toward San Antonio and next week's National Conference.....

LSThiker

Quote from: Laplace on August 25, 2017, 05:14:07 PM
And heading straight toward San Antonio and next week's National Conference.....

That depends on which model you are following.  Some models show that it is going inland to hit San Antonio.  However, other, and more recent, models have it going inland, swinging east, following the coast line, and hitting Houston as a TS. 

NIN

Yeaaaah

My wife and I are flying out on Sunday for San Antonio to make a few days before the conference as vacation.

Apparently no plan survives first contact with the enemy. And by enemy I mean hurricane.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

zippy

Below is from the CAP Facebook page. Who here is preparing for Harvey? What is your squadron doing?

QuoteCAP members across the country in Communications and Operations stand ready to help as the Texas Gulf Coast braces for what is now powerful Hurricane Harvey.

[Merged from another topic.]

Holding Pattern

Sounds like we should get everyone into CAP planes and fly them in early and have them help!

sardak

Radar reflectivity 2217z

Radar velocity

Metar

Coastal weather station wind readings

Mike

SarDragon

Well, aren't y'all just rays of sunshine.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Well, it's officially Deep Doody Time in Texas now - Jim Cantore is in Corpus Christi. Live as we speak on The Weather Channel.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on August 25, 2017, 04:35:02 PM
Seems like with all the non-news in the news lately, this came out of nowhere...

No, not exactly a priority in IL.  In the Gulf, the storm has been watched since it crossed the Yucatan.  The management agencies had been watching it when the storm appeared to be reforming.  The surprising factor, at the time, no one expected it to get higher than Cat 1.

MSG Mac

The latest Accu-Weather forecast for the dates of the Conference show sunny and partly cloudy.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Matthew Congrove

Quote from: zippy on August 25, 2017, 10:02:50 PM
Who here is preparing for Harvey? What is your squadron doing?

I was informed they relo'd a lot of planes out of the Houston/Corpus area, last I heard was to somewhere around SA/Austin; still in an area getting pounded, though not as bad, so I don't think they'll be moving any time soon. They may have moved them further away as the track moved inland, but I've seen no indication of that.

I know we have folks at the State/Nat'l Guard HQ in Austin working liaison, and I presume we have someone at the Texas SOC (statewide EOC) in Austin as usual.

They've put out calls for availability of air and ground crews starting early next week, lasting up to 2 weeks. Ops staff is doing lots of prep work during this holding period. No taskings yet, anticipating that to start around Tuesday (but I'm guessing not until later as Harvey should still be in the area at that time).

Mostly we're all just making plans and waiting to see when we can go and how bad things are.
Lt. Col. Matthew Congrove, CAP