How to go from idea to mission?

Started by Holding Pattern, May 23, 2017, 12:57:04 AM

Holding Pattern

Ok, so I've got an idea. I've got a funding source. I've got a plane. I've got a pilot. I've got a set of locations to be flown over.

How do I take these things and translate that into an approved mission?

(I intend to make a flowchart out of the answers once enough good data is received.)

Eclipse

It's going to be different in every wing, so asking here probably won't help much.

Generally it's going to involve the Wing DO or DSO.

Also, at this point most wings have an A12 proficiency sortie plan running so funding isn't necessary,
just a good idea what to do to justify burning the dinos and the time.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Flown over?

er, flown over and photographed?

Flown over during a general assembly of employee/students?

The answers will dictate things like whether you can get approval.

Ultimately, it will probably be a call to the National Operations Center, but I agree use your wing ops as a first stop.

Panzerbjorn

Are you talking a CAP funding source or outside of CAP funding source?

Just from what you mentioned, it could be interpreted that you have someone that will pay for you to fly in a CAP plane over their house and take pictures.  If this is what you are saying, we can't do it that way as it is too close to "For Hire" which is placarded in the aircraft that we can't do that kind of thing.

If you're talking a CAP source, then it has already come from an approved mission, and you're just making use of those funds to come up with a Sortie and fly it.  In my Wing, we have a dedicated mission that is for ES training.  It doesn't specify exactly what that entails.  So, you could grab an aircrew, develop an AP Sortie, go fly it, and it doesn't require special approval from higher up as long as it fits within a pre-approved 60-1 profile.

Need a little more info than what you've offered in your OP to give you good guidance or help keep you from being 2B'd.
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

Ed Bos

Quote from: Mordecai on May 23, 2017, 12:57:04 AM

(I intend to make a flowchart out of the answers once enough good data is received.)

Like the flow chart(s) in the Capabilities handbook published by NHQ?

https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/CAPabilities_Handbook_HighRes_046ADDF6591BC.pdf
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001