CAP cadets on missions and in school.

Started by Paper Machete, December 17, 2016, 09:18:53 PM

Paper Machete

If cadets are in school when a mission alert goes out, how do they respond? Not go until school is out? Don't sign up for those certain hours on the mission availability tab on e-services? Thank you.

Spaceman3750

It depends and is up to the parents. When I was coordinating a team from my group to go to NC for Matthew, I had parents who were more than happy to write their kids a note to miss school for a week. Those cadets went with and did great work. YMMV based on local schools, relationships with parents, and cadets.

Eclipse

+1 - Not all wings, probably very few, use that eservices module.

Generally the call goes out through some proprietary alerting system or other, those that can, respond.

I would also say that the general assumption is that cadets are not available during school hours,
and in fact even senior members with the exception of a small number who are usually known
either to the wing or the unit, depending on how the alert(s) is done.

Nothing long-term is going to go out during a work day with an assumption people drop everything
and run out the door.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shawn W.

When I was a Cadet, through my parents, we had an understanding with my high school that I could be excused whenever my Squadron got the call. I only had to use it once and it was an overnight mission so I was allowed to miss school that day to catch up on rest. This however is not the standard. As I stated above, it was an understanding that I had made with my school and they were gracious enough to honor it.

Thanks,

Shawn W

SARDOC

I've never really seen or done this done with Civil Air Patrol Cadets.  I remember growing up in a rural community it wasn't unusual for my fellow high school classmates leave in the middle of class because they were Volunteer Fire and EMS.  Sometimes they'd be back...sometimes not so much. 

I'd check with your local school district over what constitutes an Authorized absence.

https://www.babble.com/parenting/highschool-9-1-1-emt-services-darien-connecticut-run-high-school-students/