Bullying topic - Character Development

Started by Walkman, November 22, 2016, 02:25:57 PM

Walkman

One of my cadets is currently dealing with some bullying issues at school that I just found out about. Tonight is our CharDev night and I'd like to do the session on that topic. Has anyone ever presented the topic and can I use your notes?

Thanks
-KW

THRAWN

Hey, kid...gimmie your lunch money and I'll tell ya.....

My lovely bride is a high school teacher and I pinged her on this. She sent me this link and said that the resources there are useful for addressing the topic:

http://www.educationworld.com/a_special/bully.shtml

Good luck! Let us know how it goes or if you find more gooder stuff....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SouthernCross

Check CAPP 265-2 Flight Time: Values for Living, which is the official curriculum for the character development sessions. It has several  lessons dealing with abusive language, hazing, etc.

Spam

Respectfully suggest that we follow the program of record and not just pick stuff off the street, but rather to use the materials made available (which does in fact seem to directly address your need. See FLIGHT TIME: Values for Living, Character Development for CAP Cadets via the following paths:

https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/
to
https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/character/
to

Volume 4, NOV14:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P265_002_91CF616EC6FAD.pdf
She's Mine - Abusive Relationships Lesson Plan, p.48
No Joking Matter - Cyber bullying Lesson Plan, p.138

If that's not enough, then try the Chaplain Corps library search tool, which has "bullying" as a term:
http://capchaplain.com/chaplain-corps-library/
It turned up a module from the older Values for Living discussion plans as well:
http://pcr.cap.gov/hc-docs/values-for-living/Abuse-1986.pdf

Not that there are not some great resources out there, but... start with the CAP stuff first.

V/r
Spam

Eclipse

This is a mine field that could cause as much harm as good - tread lightly at best. 

With that said, strongly concur that if you are going to run at this head-on, you only use materials in 265-2,
with the possible exception of the "Becoming a core Values Leader" session from the encampment curriculum:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Becoming_a_Core_Values_Leader__Less_CF976AA8F1371.pdf
(Note this has external links and a opener quiz, so you need to get to those in advance).

You might also touch base with mom or dad to see if this is a good idea at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

I wonder how many CD sessions occur each month that are based on home-grown materials and not the official publications.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on November 22, 2016, 06:14:15 PM
I wonder how many CD sessions occur each month that are based on home-grown materials and not the official publications.

Far, far too many.  Further to that, how many are presented by staff who are not authorized to present them?

A lot of experienced CP members still think it can be "anyone".

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Good points on using official CAP materials. That said, I've used the ones mentioned already and wanted to come at this from a different angle than those.

The parents are cool with this lesson and no one will be called out or named in any way. No one but the family and I know who the specific cadet is, but I'd bet that we have more than a few cadets who deal with this issue regularly.

(For the record, I mix lessons from Flight Time and the Medal of Honor curriculum (authorized for our use) in my CD lessons and I'm authorized to teach the session.)

etodd

What of outside "experts"?  Nurses and doctors can give presentations on drugs for example.  Our Squadron has brought in many guests to talk on various topics to the Cadets. And many times we will make it a combo meeting with Seniors if its a topic of interest to both.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 22, 2016, 11:28:38 PM

What of outside "experts"?  Nurses and doctors can give presentations on drugs for example.  Our Squadron has brought in many guests to talk on various topics to the Cadets. And many times we will make it a combo meeting with Seniors if its a topic of interest to both.

The CDI program has a very specific and intentional format and is in tended to be a discussion among peers, not a presentation by outside people.  That's why
facilitators should stick to CAP-approved topics and materials, primarily 265-2 and the MoH resources.

"That Others May Zoom"

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2016, 11:37:08 PMThe CDI program has a very specific and intentional format and is in tended to be a discussion among peers, not a presentation by outside people.  That's why
facilitators should stick to CAP-approved topics and materials, primarily 265-2 and the MoH resources.

It doesn't seem like this is a should:

Quote from: CAPR 52-16 para 1-7d(2)(b)Character Forums. Unit commanders will provide a character development program for cadets, using the resources found at capmembers.com/character. A CAP chaplain or character development instructor (CDI) will coordinate the program. In units without a chaplain or CDI, the commander may temporarily lead character forums, but must endeavor to recruit a chaplain or CDI as soon as possible. During character forums, cadets examine moral and ethical issues, but the forums are not religious meetings.

There's no "such as" or "including" or "based upon" listed there. It says commanders will provide CD sessions using the resources found at the specific website listed. Period.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on November 23, 2016, 03:42:19 AM
There's no "such as" or "including" or "based upon" listed there. It says commanders will provide CD sessions using the resources found at the specific website listed. Period.

Agreed.

FWIW we did "Open to All" tonight.  I like the sessions, but man it's like pulling teeth to get the cadets
going sometimes.

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

Gee...   I wonder how many of the materials in the cap pubs started out as home grown materials...

srsly...

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 23, 2016, 04:08:14 AM

Agreed.

And I wonder how many people will read this thread and think to themselves, "I didn't know that about the CD program" and keep doing what they've always done, which is of course their own thing.

Brit_in_CAP

Agreed.

FWIW we did "Open to All" tonight.  I like the sessions, but man it's like pulling teeth to get the cadets
going sometimes.

CDI here..yep, pulling teeth would be much, much easier!

I've used the lesson quoted here, and they are good vehicles.  Personally, the older lessons don't work for me as they were written and vetted in a different time but they are good material to use with one of the current lessons; my cadets got great value from seeing what was presented to their predecessors in the 1980s.  That actually did generate a good discussion, without the usual teeth yanking!

Best advice: stick with the lessons available, heavily depersonalize it and (having been in the OPs place) do talk with the parents at some point.  The cyber bullying lesson is a very good talking vehicle, and it was a subject that resonated with the cadets, so much so that it allowed the discussion to move into other forms of bullying. 

We've touched on this subject several times in different lessons and the cadets are realizing that they are their own best defense against bullying; I did end up talking with a cadet who was having this type of issue at school, and we reinforced the Wingman concept.  Once the bully realized that the youngster had friends - good friends - he left him alone.  A quiet word with the parents resulted in an equally quiet word to the school and that was followed by appropriate action by the school.  Case closed.

Someone noted that all of the lessons started as someone's personal experience.  True, for the most part.  Those ideas are then vetted through a formal process before they can be included as lessons in the pamphlet.

If you've got a CDI who never seems to move off the same few lessons or who seems to be 'doing their own thing" as opposed to supporting a lesson with research or illustration then you've got a problem.

Walkman: I don't have the lesson notes but I might be able to add some value for you; this isn't a one-lesson fix, sadly.  PM me if you think I can help.

Chappie

Quote from: Spam on November 22, 2016, 03:38:52 PM
Respectfully suggest that we follow the program of record and not just pick stuff off the street, but rather to use the materials made available (which does in fact seem to directly address your need. See FLIGHT TIME: Values for Living, Character Development for CAP Cadets via the following paths:

https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/
to
https://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/character/
to

Volume 4, NOV14:

If that's not enough, then try the Chaplain Corps library search tool, which has "bullying" as a term:
http://capchaplain.com/chaplain-corps-library/
It turned up a module from the older Values for Living discussion plans as well:
http://pcr.cap.gov/hc-docs/values-for-living/Abuse-1986.pdf

Not that there are not some great resources out there, but... start with the CAP stuff first.

V/r
Spam

Great advice  :clap: :clap: :clap:

The regulations state that Chaplains and CDIs must use curriculum approved by the Chief of Chaplains.   This is for the protection of cadets and senior members from abuse and proselytizing.  Each lesson has been vetted for publication.  In recent weeks, we have endeavored to make the library more user-friendly.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: Fubar on November 23, 2016, 06:22:57 AM

Agreed.

And I wonder how many people will read this thread and think to themselves, "I didn't know that about the CD program" and keep doing what they've always done, which is of course their own thing.

It is an educational process which takes time.

Chappie

Quote from: coudano on November 23, 2016, 04:46:53 AM
Gee...   I wonder how many of the materials in the cap pubs started out as home grown materials...

srsly...

That is true. Members of the CAP Chaplain Corps have been encouraged to submit material to the Chief for review. Currently there is a task force that has began evaluating the repository of lessons to see which ones should be updated, revised, merged or eliminated.  They also review any lessons submitted from the field.

etodd

Quote from: Fubar on November 23, 2016, 06:22:57 AM

Agreed.

No allowances for regional differences? Teaching inner city kids in Chicago can be different than beach kids in CA and different than good old boys in Texas. ;)  Same basic materials ... but much different approaches at times.

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

Eclipse

Quote from: etodd on November 24, 2016, 12:58:50 AM
No allowances for regional differences?

No.

part of the fallacy of your assertion is that the CDI isn't supposed to be "teaching" anything - they are supposed to
facilitate a discussion among cadet pers based on a problem presented, therefore any "regional differences" would be self-correcting.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Eclipse on November 22, 2016, 06:24:18 PM

Far, far too many.  Further to that, how many are presented by staff who are not authorized to present them?

A lot of experienced CP members still think it can be "anyone".

The current requirements for CD instructors (at least here in NY) is a little too narrow.  I went years without being qualified...but as soon as I assume command...POOF....I'm somehow now immediately qualified?  Here in NY, unless you are affiliated with a church, and have held a leadership position in a church, you aren't allowed to do CD work regardless of any professional or educational background.  It just makes no sense to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: SAREXinNY on November 28, 2016, 01:51:27 AMHere in NY, unless you are affiliated with a church, and have held a leadership position in a church, you aren't allowed to do CD work regardless of any professional or educational background.  It just makes no sense to me.

Based on NYWG's history of "interpretive dance" with the regulations, few reading the above are surprised, however
regardless, absent an NHQ-approved supplement would clearly violate both the spirit and the intent of the applicable regulation.

The requirement is TLC and a "goodfella" letter, nothing more.

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:20:34 AM
Based on NYWG's history of "interpretive dance" with the regulations, few reading the above are surprised, however
regardless, absent an NHQ-approved supplement would clearly violate both the spirit and the intent of the applicable regulation.

The requirement is TLC and a "goodfella" letter, nothing more.

I've tried to inquire...I was told "that's the way it is" and gave up. I have bigger battles...but I don't agree with it.

Eclipse

"Making an inquiry" is where these wives tales thrive.

It's understandable to not deal with another CAP windmill, but the only way these things see the light of
day is by challenging them.

Submit the paperwork through proper channels to the Wing Chaplain, and if it's denied, file an IG complaint
based on "failure to follow procedure" or "violation of CAPR 265-2".

Considering the current climate of inclusion, diversity, and the clear intent of the Chaplain Corps / NHQ to build
a robust CDI Cadre, I can't imagine they would be all that excited about a Wing arbitrarily denying a CDI for "reasons".

"That Others May Zoom"

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:43:35 AM

It's understandable to not deal with another CAP windmill, but the only way these things see the light of

Submit the paperwork through proper channels to the Wing Chaplain, and if it's denied, file an IG complaint

Considering the current climate of inclusion, diversity, and the clear intent of the Chaplain Corps / NHQ to build
a robust CDI Cadre, I can't imagine they would be all that excited about a Wing arbitrarily denying a CDI for "reasons".

+1...follow the process.  It is no longer mandatory for a CDI to receive a religious endorsement.  CAPR 265-1, Section 7 (Character Development Instructor Appointment) contains the detail.  In brief: Be a Senior Member and have completed (as a minimum) Level 1 plus TLC and Basic Instructor Course.  Then submit CAPF35a plus a letter of recommendation "..from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor. This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application...."

I also agree with Eclipse - challenging these apparent inconsistencies is the only way to bring them to light.  Often its a simple misunderstanding, which is easily cleared up.  When it isn't, that needs to be dealt with robustly and correctly.

Chappie

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on November 28, 2016, 02:26:49 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2016, 02:43:35 AM

+1...follow the process.  It is no longer mandatory for a CDI to receive a religious endorsement.  CAPR 265-1, Section 7 (Character Development Instructor Appointment) contains the detail.  In brief: Be a Senior Member and have completed (as a minimum) Level 1 plus TLC and Basic Instructor Course.  Then submit CAPF35a plus a letter of recommendation "..from a member of his or her local community attesting that the member is morally and emotionally qualified to serve as a character development instructor. This letter will not come from the unit commander since the commander's recommendation is implicit in the commander's signature on the application...."

I also agree with Eclipse - challenging these apparent inconsistencies is the only way to bring them to light.  Often its a simple misunderstanding, which is easily cleared up.  When it isn't, that needs to be dealt with robustly and correctly.

^^^What he and Eclipse said   :clap: :clap:   The CAP Chaplain Corps has seen significant changes and progress under the current Chief of the CAP Chaplain Corps - Ch, Col Jay Hughes.  From what I am reading from SARX in NY -- this is really an anomaly and not the norm.  There is not a month that goes by where we have not seen appointments of CDIs and Chaplains.

I would add -- contact the Region Chaplain: Ch, Lt Col Matthew Wissell  (mjwissell@gmail.com) 

SMWOG

The Acting NYWG cc stated that we are not going to make people jump through hoops. He said follow the CAP regulation. If you are hitting a road block due to unapproved supplements to the prescribed regulations, the wing cc needs to know.  I would start with the wing chaplain,get him on the phone.

VR

xinemae

Quote from: Spam on November 22, 2016, 03:38:52 PM

Volume 4, NOV14:

V/r
Spam

Exactly what I needed. Thank you.

Spam