Promotion processing time

Started by bma21, November 09, 2015, 06:43:49 PM

bma21

Anyone know how long after submitting paperwork it takes for promotion to Capt or Maj? I know these are not done at the squadron level so I didn't know if there is a lag or not?

LSThiker

Quote from: bma21 on November 09, 2015, 06:43:49 PM
Anyone know how long after submitting paperwork it takes for promotion to Capt or Maj? I know these are not done at the squadron level so I didn't know if there is a lag or not?

However, long it takes for Wing, and if applicable Group, to process the paperwork and get the Commander's signatures.  If the wing does promotion boards on specific weeks of the month, then that will also add time.  Do not be too surprised if it takes a month or two to get the signature.  Bottom line, there are a number of variables.  It is best to check with the PDO in your area or wing to verify.

Alaric

The promoting authority for Captain is the Group Commander (if your wing has groups), otherwise the Wing Commander; Promoting authority for Major is Wing Commander.  Therefore I would expect it at least a month (depending on how often promotion boards meet)

Al Sayre

If it is a duty performance promotion, it's done on-line. You may need to remind the approving authority to check the inbox in eServices...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JeffDG

Quote from: Alaric on November 09, 2015, 06:51:24 PM

The promoting authority for Captain is the Group Commander (if your wing has groups), otherwise the Wing Commander; Promoting authority for Major is Wing Commander.  Therefore I would expect it at least a month (depending on how often promotion boards meet)

I can tell you the Promotion Board for my wing meets "as required", and generally get a reco to the Wing Commander within a couple days.

That said, squadron and group also need to do their bit before it even appears at wing.

jeders

I've seen Capt to Maj take less than a week if everybody is doing their job right. I've also seen it take more than a month if you have someone who "does eServices" whenever he feels like getting around to it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MSG Mac

Most Promotion Boards appreciate the fact that there is a time factor and send the package out via e-mail for comment to lesson the wait time. Then they submit it to the Approving Authority electonically.

A few hints to make the promotion fly.

Make sure the member is still a member. Yes, It happens quite often.

Attach a seperate letter of recommendation. The comment area in the on-line form is not big enough for the neccessary recommendation. (If you can't say something nice about someone, why would we promote him)?

Tell the Promotion Board why he/she should be promoted and what we can expect from him in his new grade. Use Verbs, minimalize adjectives.

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

CAP_truth

In our wing we try to go from receiving promotion package to board within 2 days and replies back from board within 7 days and to wing cc within 2 days. Should go from receiving to final 2 weeks.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

kwe1009

Quote from: MSG Mac on November 09, 2015, 09:33:55 PM
Most Promotion Boards appreciate the fact that there is a time factor and send the package out via e-mail for comment to lesson the wait time. Then they submit it to the Approving Authority electonically.

A few hints to make the promotion fly.

Make sure the member is still a member. Yes, It happens quite often.

Attach a seperate letter of recommendation. The comment area in the on-line form is not big enough for the neccessary recommendation. (If you can't say something nice about someone, why would we promote him)?

Tell the Promotion Board why he/she should be promoted and what we can expect from him in his new grade. Use Verbs, minimalize adjectives.

Those are all great points.  All too often my Wing receives promotion recommendations for Maj and Lt Col with little or no documentation of the member's value to CAP.  One thing I tell people is that they should write promotion (and award) recommendations for an audience that does not know the individual at all as that is often the case anyway.  Too many commanders fail to realize that the person they are putting in for promotion may know be know by the members of the Board or the Wing CC.  Promotions are not automatic either.  The person must meet the minimum requirements and then also show that they deserve the promotion based on their performance and value to CAP.

SARDOC

For my duty performance promotion to Major, I think that it took a grand total of about 9 minutes because of the online process.  It really depends on those in their chain of command and when they happen to see it come into their queue for approval.

JeffDG

Quote from: SARDOC on November 10, 2015, 09:18:49 PM
For my duty performance promotion to Major, I think that it took a grand total of about 9 minutes because of the online process.  It really depends on those in their chain of command and when they happen to see it come into their queue for approval.

Also depends how well they know you.

For example, as a Captain serving as a Wing CS, I expect the approving authority (Wing/CC) is quite familiar with my work and both my current contributions, along with my future potential in the organization.

On the other hand, a Captain from the other end of the state who rarely pokes his head up above squadron level, may involve some back and forth for the Wing/CC to make a determination that the member is "performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade
recommended."

SARDOC

^^ i would image that has a lot to do with it too.  I'm almost an IC and currently work as Deputy Group Commander...so there is that.

bma21

Reason I am curious is it has been nearly a month and haven't heard anything at all so I was wondering how it all worked. Thank you for all the input.

JeffDG

Quote from: bma21 on November 11, 2015, 09:29:35 PM
Reason I am curious is it has been nearly a month and haven't heard anything at all so I was wondering how it all worked. Thank you for all the input.
Inquiries would go back down the CoC.

For example, I'm on the Wing Promotion Board.  If the members there (Wing CV, DP and CS) don't know someone, we'll ask the Group, and they'll check in with the Squadron Commander.  Sometimes folks with specialized jobs (for example, we recently did a Major for a unit Chaplain), I'll ask the wing staffer over that area for input.  All of that goes on without ever talking to the person up for promotion!  In most cases, it ends there once the relevant standard ("performing in an exemplary manner meriting promotion to the grade recommended.") is met, we'll simply recommend approval and present what we have gathered to the Wing Commander for final determination.

JeffDG

Quote from: SARDOC on November 11, 2015, 08:29:13 PM
^^ i would image that has a lot to do with it too.  I'm almost an IC and currently work as Deputy Group Commander...so there is that.
That was me before the most recent Change of Command at wing!  (Well, I was qualified as an IC, but close enough!)

MSG Mac

Your Personnel Officer should be following up on this. He or your Commander can check on E-Services to see where the promotion is sitting.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JC004

Mine took a day.  Very inconvenient.  Spent my birthday sewing.