Wearing Contact Lenses at Encampment?

Started by lisaitoc, June 08, 2015, 02:25:21 AM

lisaitoc

Hello everyone,

I am planning to go to the California Wing encampment this summer, and I wear glasses and contact lenses. Does anyone know if I am allowed wear contact lenses during encampment? I was told that when you wake up in the morning at encampment, you are given very little time to get ready, and putting on contact lenses properly usually takes me some time. Additionally, I was told you cannot get up early before the actual time you are supposed to be up to get ready. So for those who wear glasses or contact lenses and have experienced encampment, do you think I should just stick to glasses, or wear contact lenses? Also, if glasses are worn, do you recommend wearing a glasses sports strap? Thank you!

Cadetter

I've seen cadets who wear contacts without issue at encampment. How used to putting on contact lenses are you?

I wear glasses and have never used a strap of any kind.

Also depends on the wing, but at my encampments cadets have usually had 5-15 minutes to get ready (depending on the day, uniform, and cadet staff). Often closest to 5 but with 10-15 scheduled. Seems way more rushed as a cadet student than it does as staff.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MIKE

I would recommend you bring your glasses as time and conditions may not always be suited for contacts.
Mike Johnston

a2capt

The key is communication. Inform the staff that you need to be able to see to get the most benefit from encampment .. ;-)

That said, I'd figure on glasses at least the first morning for you to see what the flow is.

PHall

Bring your glasses, you will not have time in the morning to safely put them in. You should have time after you get back from PT.
You are not allowed to get up early because you are getting the required minimum amount of sleep required by the regs and getting up early would eat into that.
Wearing your glasses during PT in the morning and during activities such as the obstacle course is probably the best way to go.

PA Guy

Bring glasses. Camp San Luis Obispo=wind and dust. Also little prep time in AM.