ICS Courses

Started by isuhawkeye, April 26, 2007, 02:39:54 AM

SARMedTech

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on May 04, 2007, 12:57:10 PM
Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 28, 2007, 01:51:44 PM
just a point for this thread

The national registry is simply a testing entity.  this entity is very widely recognised, but not all states accept national registry status. 

Secondly the national registry certification does not allow you to practice medicine.  All states require a state issued licenser or certification in order to function.

These are mutual aid procedures in most states which allow out of state health care providers to function during times of emergency

Not so...
In IL, for example the National Registry IS the test, certification/ licensing body.
The reason behind this is because we had a problem with the Chicago FD stealing the answer keys to the old state tests and passing them out to new hires.  So, we no longer have a state test and just go through the NR

... I hate Chicago.. and all it stands for...
Needs to be a seperate state. lol
i kidd I kidd....

UPDATE: the state of IL reinstated its EMT-B state test in January of 2007 and I believe it has also put the other level (I and P) examinations back since then. At this time, EMT-B license candidates may take either the NREMT exam or both.  SUMMARY: IL does have a state test again.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

isuhawkeye

shall we take bets to see how long until it is compromised again?

SARMedTech

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 22, 2008, 01:14:42 AM

Given the current state of EMS in general here in the Land of Lincoln, that is a bet I would not take.

For example, we currently have no State level director of education and questions and decisions concerning EMS education are most often left to regional EMS directors, many of whom got their jobs through political means and have NO EMS TRAINING OR EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER. The coordinator in my region cannot even correctly determine how continuing medical education credits are to be recorded in order to maintain one's license. When I questioned my regional co-ordinator as to who her immediate supervisor was, I was told "You just try to f****ing find out" and had the phone slammed down in my ear. That was over a year ago and I still cannot get anyone to confirm that any of my submitted CEU's have been approved and applied to my license currency.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SAR-EMT1

The I test already was compromised in 2007. The redesign was released at hte beginning of '08 and pulled a month later due to the fact that the test had an 85% failure rate. ... The P isnt even that hard.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SARMedTech

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 22, 2008, 08:43:52 PM

The I test already was compromised in 2007. The redesign was released at hte beginning of '08 and pulled a month later due to the fact that the test had an 85% failure rate. ... The P isnt even that hard.

One of the reasons for initial failure rates on the newly re-implemented state exams is that since 2004, students have been taught the needed information to pass the NR exam. Now that the state exams are back, we don't have to rely on the NR, but we also need to re-vamp the IL curriculum so that it more closely reflects IL EMS protocol.  I mean after all, how many coal mine questions are there on the NR. I know it wasnt covered in my class.  ;)
"Corpsman Up!"

isuhawkeye

First of all Illinois EMS does not have standardized protocols  you have regional medical directors who implement their own.  Second of all Illinois has several Coal mines. 

SARMedTech

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 23, 2008, 11:28:53 AM
First of all Illinois EMS does not have standardized protocols  you have regional medical directors who implement their own.  Second of all Illinois has several Coal mines. 

You're arguing semantics as far as my wording about protocols goes, though IL is considering adopting the NHTSA's standardized protocols for EMT, AEMT and Paramedic. Also, if you read my post more carefully, you will see that I am saying that it would be good to have an IL based curriculum instead of the NR since the NR does not reflect the EMT-Coal Mine designation nor the education or training it requires. And, as a resident of IL, I am well aware that we have coal mines, just as much as I am aware of how our protocol system works,  but thanks for the dose of condescension.  ::)
"Corpsman Up!"

isuhawkeye

I apoligise for not reading your post more thuroughly.  I grew up outside of chicago..  I held an EMT basic liscense ther for several years.  I currently live and work in a national registry state which does maintain several aditional cert/endoresment levels outside of the registry system.  I have always been bafeled at IL's intention to go it alone, and have their own test.  which seems to get either compromised or sewed every time it rolls out.  I would love to continue to discuess EMS with you, but we should probably do it over pm.  I'm sorry of I derailed this thread.

SARMedTech

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 28, 2007, 05:29:15 AM
While all 91W's attain the National Registry at the Basic Level, they have the option of retesting for The "D" / Basic-Extra tag...
Also Combat Lifesavers  can certify at  Nat. Reg. First Responder -Extra
- I keep saying "extras" because thats the common term I hear at the station or in the ER. The cards Ive seen actually Say "D" - but thats IL.

I know we have EMT-B/D here in IL. When I got my card, I knew a lot of EMTs who classified themselves as B/D's meaning that they were qualified to use the AED. We have one whole service in my area that has EMT-B/Ds. But does the D stand for defib as in AED or manual defib certification?
"Corpsman Up!"

isuhawkeye

emt D has traditionally stood for AED.  that is a legacy certification in iowa and does not meet minimum staffing requirments.  this cert was lagasied becaause Basics learn how to use an aed, and aeds have become public access in nature.

SARMedTech

Quote from: isuhawkeye on April 23, 2008, 07:24:42 PM
emt D has traditionally stood for AED.  that is a legacy certification in iowa and does not meet minimum staffing requirments.  this cert was lagasied becaause Basics learn how to use an aed, and aeds have become public access in nature.

Though, as you might imagine, we still have EMS regions in IL that do not allow EMT-Bs to use AEDs in the field.
"Corpsman Up!"