Custom-embroidered polo shirt?

Started by foo, January 06, 2015, 08:58:08 PM

foo

It's already time to replace my faded, not-so-old polo shirt for the Corporate Working Uniform. I really don't want to buy another one from Vanguard if possible, so I'm looking into getting something of much higher quality and having it custom-embroidered. I own a couple of these Vertx "coldblack" polo shirts (http://wearvertx.com/Vertx-coldblack-Mens-Short-Sleeve-Tactical-Polo.aspx), and they are fantastic. I stay cool even in the hot sun, and the shirt stays fresh for two to four wears between washings. And it never fades, not even a little bit.

Couple things I'm wondering about...

The Vanguard shirt has a pocket. Is that required? I think not, since a pocket isn't specified for that shirt in 39-1.

Does it matter which CAP seal is used? Again, in 39-1 it's not specified for that shirt. When I search for "CAP seal" in eServices, this is all I find:

http://capmembers.com/cap_national_hq/public_affairs/cap_pao_toolkit/seals-emblems-and-patches/

Nowhere else other than on the polo shirt can I find an image of a CAP seal with the light blue field and navy blue stars. If that version is required, it's going to be difficult to give a clean image of it to the place that will do the embroidering. Even if it's not required, I do prefer the seal to look as close as possible to the Vanguard shirts.

Has anyone actually done this? Can you share a picture of the embroidery work and provide any other good tips for accomplishing this? Better yet, does anyone have a high resolution image of the seal used on the Vanguard polo?

Eclipse

The only "seal" CAP has is the round one found here:

Nothing else is referred to as the "seal".

Considering the various materials, age, and poor embroidery quality over the years (not just a VG issue)
no one is likely to notice, other then anything you do yourself will probably be much clearer and adhere to
the actual image.

The only other issue is that as a 1-off, the setup for a complex insignia like that will probably cost 2-3x's the
cost of the shirt.

I've considered tackling this myself, but I have a fried with a 16-needle embroidery machine.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Does any one have any good pictures of the specialty track badges on the polo shirts?  I know there is an image of a man with the administration badge (I think) floating around, but was hoping for a clearing image.  I was thinking of getting one with the historian badge on it, but do not want to spend the money on something that is going to look horrible. 

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2015, 10:18:31 PM
Does any one have any good pictures of the specialty track badges on the polo shirts?  I know there is an image of a man with the administration badge (I think) floating around, but was hoping for a clearing image.  I was thinking of getting one with the historian badge on it, but do not want to spend the money on something that is going to look horrible.

The only ones I've seen look ridiculous - the specialty badge is as big or bigger then the seal.
They shouldn't be any larger the the actual badge.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2015, 10:20:18 PM

The only ones I've seen look ridiculous - the specialty badge is as big or bigger then the seal.

Really? I've seen people with specialty track badges embroidered on the polo that were the same size as the metal badge and looked pretty decent, considering all the other low quality stuff Vanguard has been known to put out. Of course that was about 3 years ago, so maybe they've gotten worse.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

winterg

I purchased a new polo from VG a few weeks ago and the first thing I noticed was that the ES badge was much larger than I expected.  It is more than 1.5 inches tall.  In comparison, the CAP seal is only 2.5 inches tall.  But I have no complaints about the embroidery.  The CAP seal looks like the CAP seal and is recognizable from 10 feet away and everything looks professional.  My only only heartache is the cost of the things.  Otherwise I might have a few to rotate out.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: jeders on January 06, 2015, 10:31:20 PM

Really? I've seen people with specialty track badges embroidered on the polo that were the same size as the metal badge and looked pretty decent, considering all the other low quality stuff Vanguard has been known to put out. Of course that was about 3 years ago, so maybe they've gotten worse.

I ordered a polo from VG about 3 years ago with the Cadet Programs badge and had to returned it because the badge was ridiculously big. They were nice about it, but there seems to be a lack of consistency (or standard) when it comes to these.

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 06, 2015, 11:16:19 PM
I ordered a polo from VG about 3 years ago with the Cadet Programs badge and had to returned it because the badge was ridiculously big. They were nice about it, but there seems to be a lack of consistency (or standard) when it comes to these.

Was it embroidered with your name on it?

Eclipse

Quote from: jeders on January 06, 2015, 10:31:20 PM

[attachment deleted by admin]

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

Wow!  My ES doesn't look so bad now.  Thanks.  I feel much better.  :)

LSThiker

Quote from: winterg on January 06, 2015, 11:33:27 PM

Well at the same time, the CP metal badge is larger than the metal shield badges.  Hmm, perhaps I will just order it to see depending on whether or not I can return with my name on it.  Has anyone called Vanguard to ask if they can send a picture before production?

Eclipse

In your case the seal looks too small, which is the other issue I've seen, and of course has the infamous blue field.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2015, 11:20:36 PM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on January 06, 2015, 11:16:19 PM

Was it embroidered with your name on it?

Yes, it had my name.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: LSThiker on January 06, 2015, 11:36:50 PM

Well at the same time, the CP metal badge is larger than the metal shield badges.  Hmm, perhaps I will just order it to see depending on whether or not I can return with my name on it.  Has anyone called Vanguard to ask if they can send a picture before production?

My shirt's embroidered badge wasn't proportional with the metal badge. I'll see if I can post a picture later.

winterg

If I had a magic wand, I would make the seal on the polo the same as the 3" seal they used to sell.  I just checked and I don't even see that one on VG anymore.

foo

Quote from: Eclipse on January 06, 2015, 11:42:37 PM
... and of course has the infamous blue field.

And the solid dark blue stars, and dark blue shield, and dark blue lettering. Also notice the lack of detail on the eagle. I wonder how well an image of the official seal will translate to embroidery.

I'm tempted to cut the seal out of my old shirt and sew it on a new one. I'm not too bad with a sewing machine and I could probably make it look pretty good.

Or not...

Eclipse

Quote from: winterg on January 07, 2015, 12:04:12 AM
If I had a magic wand, I would make the seal on the polo the same as the 3" seal they used to sell.  I just checked and I don't even see that one on VG anymore.

It would look a darn sight better if a patch were allowed instead of the direct embroidery.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: neummy on January 07, 2015, 12:33:14 AM
And the solid dark blue stars, and dark blue shield, and dark blue lettering. Also notice the lack of detail on the eagle. I wonder how well an image of the official seal will translate to embroidery.

It all depends on the machine, the stitch count, and the vendor, the shirt material is an issue as well. 

I have seen incredibly detailed insignia rendered beautifully, and relatively simple designs that look like
they were done by hand with a pitchfork.

The nice thing is that these days the embroidery kisok at the mall can probably do it while you
wait for your Cinnabons.

"That Others May Zoom"

foo

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2015, 12:45:00 AM

It would look a darn sight better if a patch were allowed instead of the direct embroidery.

Well, technically, creating a patch must involve some embroidering. I don't see the term "direct embroidery" anywhere in 39-1.  >:D

Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2015, 12:49:27 AM
The nice thing is that these days the embroidery kisok at the mall can probably do it while you wait for your Cinnabons.

Say, that's just about all the motivation I need to take a trip to The Mall tomorrow! It's going to be -38° F wind chill here, so maybe there will be few people out and about.

Eclipse

Quote from: neummy on January 07, 2015, 01:13:58 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 07, 2015, 12:45:00 AM

Well, technically, creating a patch must involve some embroidering. I don't see the term "direct embroidery" anywhere in 39-1. 

More wonderful proof reading...

The definition of the CWU is twice on the same page, written differently.

"5.2.2.1.1. Dark blue knit shirt (long/short sleeves) with embroidered CAP seal on
the right breast. An embroidered name (first and last name) in white thread, and one‐service badge,
aviation badge, occupational badge, specialty track badge or duty title on the left breast is optional. A
female version of this shirt is available without a pocket; females may wear either the male or the female
version. "

By the above text, the badges could well be actual badges.

5.2.2.3.1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal. First and last name
may be embroidered in white thread on the left breast. No rank designation is authorized. One CAP
aviation, occupational badge, specialty track, duty title badge may be embroidered ½ inch over the name.

By this it's clear everything needs to be embroidered, but I agree, there's nothing prohibiting a patch
instead of direct embroidery.

But why is it needed twice on the same page, and with different verbiage?

The proportions and alignment are clear, though.  To my eye the seal is too small, but KAY-SARA on that.
The badges are clearly supposed to be approximately the same size embroidered as their metal counterpart,
and I have personally seen a shield type badge the same size as the CP one, which is also absurdly large.

[attachment deleted by admin]

"That Others May Zoom"