Main Menu

Tracking Awards

Started by Devil Doc, July 18, 2014, 01:12:41 PM

lordmonar

Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 19, 2014, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 19, 2014, 01:51:26 PM
Now for all previous awards prior to the rollout of the decorations module... will the personnel officer/director of personnel be able to manually input previous awards - of course, if the proper proof is submitted (award certificate, personnel authorization, etc.)?
Last I heard, there will be a window in which certain personnel could enter old awards.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

It would be nice if NHQ would allow say the wing Personnel Officer to just go in and click / date awards
substantiated locally without having to push a lot of paper up to NHQ.

"That Others May Zoom"

James Shaw

Quote from: Eclipse on July 20, 2014, 10:31:17 PM
It would be nice if NHQ would allow say the wing Personnel Officer to just go in and click / date awards
substantiated locally without having to push a lot of paper up to NHQ.

That would be a great idea.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: Eclipse on July 20, 2014, 10:19:12 PM
Quote from: Tim Medeiros on July 20, 2014, 10:06:41 PM
Quote from: capsafety on July 20, 2014, 09:53:37 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on July 18, 2014, 01:12:41 PM
Hello,

Does anybody know which awards are tracked on Paperless Wing, or eServices? Also, Why are certain ones tracked, and certain ones are not?

The SMV, BMV, and DSA are tracked at NHQ but not online.
With the online decorations application, those, plus Exceptional, Meritorious , Commanders Commendation (all levels), Life Saving, Achievement, and Unit Citation Awards are all tracked.  There is also a field for "other".  Hopefully items on the CAPF2a will follow suit later on.

How do we get historical awards into the system?
Unfortunately I haven't been able to be on the last two calls due to work scheduling conflicts, so those details (if shared) are not yet known to me.  I'll ping some people and see what I can find out.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

jeders

Bump.

Is there any news on the awards module?
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

LegacyAirman

For those of you familiar with the Air Force's vMPF (virtual Military Personnel Flight), it would be awesome if that module was anything like vMPF's Awards(?) module. Not only lists everything you've earned, but shows a graphic of your ribbon rack!

MSG Mac

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 18, 2014, 06:37:33 PM
Ok, So if somebody submitted you for a reward, and dont tell you, and or forgot, How do you know if it was Approved?

The Personnel Officer at each level involved is supposed to maintain an Awards log showing when the 120 was received, approved (or denied), forwarded to the next echelon, and returned to the issuer.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Alaric

Quote from: MSG Mac on December 31, 2014, 07:04:02 PM
Quote from: Devil Doc on July 18, 2014, 06:37:33 PM
Ok, So if somebody submitted you for a reward, and dont tell you, and or forgot, How do you know if it was Approved?

The Personnel Officer at each level involved is supposed to maintain an Awards log showing when the 120 was received, approved (or denied), forwarded to the next echelon, and returned to the issuer.

That's presuming a 120 is submitted, only the 8 decorations require a F120, the rest can be done on a 2a and do not need to go through the personnel officer

Devil Doc

Looking at Ribbons Today on Vanguard, Did the color of the Red Membership ribbon change? On Vanguard it shows a white ribbon, with red Middle, with Red and Black outer bands. On Wiki, it shows it shows a white ribbon with Red and Blue out bands, with a Red Center?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

SarDragon

The version with the black is correct. That's what was in the original specification in the first 39-1 to have that set of ribbons. It was also black on the "cartoon" ribbons.

It's interesting that various pictures, including from Vanguard, show one end as blue.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Where are you guys looking?  Assuming no one has fixed it already, all I see are correct graphics in both places:

Wikipedia: 

Vanguard:

Edit:
I see you're talking the Red Service Ribbon:

Wikipedia (incorrect):

Vanguard (correct):

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

The colors on the illustration of the Red Service Ribbon in CAPR 39-3 correspond with the colors on Wikipedia.

The dark stripes on the Red Service Ribbon are supposed to be the same dark navy blue of the Encampment Ribbon, but Vanguard's are black instead.

Eclipse

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 31, 2014, 08:18:50 PM
The colors on the illustration of the Red Service Ribbon in CAPR 39-3 correspond with the colors in Wikipedia.

The dark stripes on the Red Service Ribbon are supposed to be the same dark navy blue of the Encampment Ribbon, but Vanguard's are black instead.

Interestingly, the graphic from 1998, though greyscale, would hardly seem to indicate "black" for the inside stripe,

but the 2000 Bookstore catalog is clearly black.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 31, 2014, 08:18:50 PMThe dark stripes on the Red Service Ribbon are supposed to be the same dark navy blue of the Encampment Ribbon, but Vanguard's are black instead.

Can you cite any verbiage on the description? I can't find one anywhere.

This calls back to the utter lack of specifications for any of the insignia, badges or decorations.
You can't hold people accountable for things which have been done on a handshake and a prayer for decades.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I don't have any verbiage on ribbon description or colors, which usually supersedes any illustration. The lack of description would make the illustrations on the regulation the only published "standard", unless NHQ has a different document describing the ribbons and awards.

SarDragon

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 31, 2014, 08:18:50 PM
The colors on the illustration of the Red Service Ribbon in CAPR 39-3 correspond with the colors on Wikipedia.

What he said. My other sources agree. All the verbiage specifies blue. This includes older versions of the 39-3, and various scholarly works (Morse and Regan).

However comma all of my various versions of the actual Red Service ribbon, including the olde plastic one, have a black stripe.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Storm Chaser

The illustration of original Red Service Ribbon on these websites also appears to be a dark navy blue:
http://www.alternatewars.com/WW3/Civil_Defense/CD_Medals.htm

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=81907

In addition, this chart of senior member ribbons also displays the Red Service with similar dark blue color.

Of course, none of these are regulatory, which is why NHQ needs to have published standards on all awards and insignias.

Eclipse

Interesting - you have to wonder who made the first mistake and then why no one has noticed / corrected it.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Quote from: Storm Chaser on December 31, 2014, 08:52:54 PM
Of course, none of these are regulatory, which is why NHQ needs to have published standards on all awards and insignias.

I agree.  Vanguard has been improving.  I think they'd square away minor issues if CAP set the standard.  One thing that I am happy to see is the quality of my GBD badge (cloth) and aircrew wings (cloth) are much, much better than they've ever been.  I have a set of older Major cloth insignia that was at the squadron (Vanguard produced) and the embroidery on that has also greatly improved (on the older set, you can see some blue through the leaves). 

The wings I received are pre-sewn with 1/8" border, which is another change.  That said, sometimes things go back and forth with them and some minimal guidelines would help (NOT huge "CAP-SPEC" documents...keep it simple, but at least making sure the BDUs they carry are MIL-SPEC, the quality of products is consistent or improving, etc.). 

One issue that came to my attention recently was the Aviator Shirt purchased through Vanguard recently had epaulets that are too wide to make the shoulder marks/epaulet sleeves flush against the seam.