Did we do something wrong?

Started by Гугл переводчик, March 31, 2014, 07:07:01 PM

Гугл переводчик

Since Idaho Wing is not holding an encampment this year, most squadrons in the wing have decided that Utah Wing encampment would be the one that squadrons would agree to go to, and in turn travel to together. The cadets that wanted to be staff applied well before the deadline, and all required forms were presented. Since we did not know how the required staff training would be administered to us, I decided to contact the cadet encampment commander on how this issue would be resolved. A week later with no response, I decided to contact the actual encampment commander, again with no response for a good week. I informed a senior member in my squadron about this, he emailed the encampment commander, and he didn't receive a response for a good amount of time. Once he did receive a response from the senior member Col, the tune of the email was "This is a UTAH wing encampment, and the priority will be for utah. We will try to get training for out of wing cadets, but this is not a multi-wing encampment. If out of state cadets wish to receive the training, they can travel down to utah for the training." That wasn't the exact wording, but that was the message.

Myself, and another cadet captain who has been to Cadet officer school and space command fam course, applied for high level positions (Deputy commander and XO). We were told we would have interviews for said positions and we were given dates. Once the date approached, i recieved an email 5 minutes before the time from the Cadet encampment commander saying he had to reschedule, and he would contact me ASAP, which he never did. The other C/Capt in my squadron was given a time and day, but they didnt inform him they couldn't make it. They just never contacted him about it. Once the positions were released, I received "Support Staff Team Leader" (whatever that is) and the other C/Capt received Flight Commander. The cadets who received the higher level positions were both C/2nd Lt's with only 1 ES qual each (IS100). Before the time of staff selections, multiple cadets from IDWG were trying to contact the Utah wing about encampment, with everyone getting ignored.

On top of all this, i had taken time off for work, and they decided to postpone the days of encampment without talking to any Idaho wing cadets about this at all. I just dont know what to do anymore.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

Ed Bos

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. It sounds like you feel like the cadre for the Utah Wing Encampment aren't giving you a lot of support or direction. I recommend giving them the benefit of the doubt and falling back on the Core Values.

The Senior Members and Cadets at that encampment are in the same Civil Air Patrol you are, and deal with a lot of the same communication, logistics, and planning problems that we all face.

They are most likely making the best decisions they can with the information and resources they have. While you may not agree with their decisions, you can still attend an encampment, make great friends, and learn some new stuff.

Don't worry about other cadets' qualifications or grade, just do YOUR best with the position you're given, and everyone will be all the better for it.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

HGjunkie

Just throwing it out there, it's not totally uncommon for lower-grade Cadets to be chosen for something higher over you. Just go with it and make the best of your position.

Also, I'd bet that UTWG is trying to give their own Cadets priority because of a couple factors: Maybe they only have one encampment a year, perhaps they can fill up all the positions with UTWG Cadets, etc. A counterexample would be FLWG, which has a solid mix of out of state Cadets and in-state Cadets (with about a 50% selection rate in total), but we have a TON of positions for people to pick up. Maybe they don't have so many positions due to having a smaller encampment size.

Although I will say that the communication issue is... well, an issue. Don't make a mess out of it, but reconsider if that's what you really want to do.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

I also know from our encampment that most senior positions are not open to cadets who come in cold having never attended an IL encampment or having only attended one encampment several years before. This is because we have basically a "five year plan". Basically, once a cadet attends their first encampment as a trainee, they come back the next year to the advanced training unit. After that it is a progression up through flight, squadron, and exec staff positions. Normal attrition and outside activities will usually thin things out at the top so there are not ten people trying for one position. Our cadets understand this system and agree with it.

Other wings may do it differently and I know people have different opinions on how encampment attendance and staff positions should be slotted, but this system has worked for us for many years. While some may feel that a c/Capt or c/Maj should take priority over a c/2nd Lt, it just doesn't happen that often. The c/2ndLt may have worked their way through a system such as we have and be a very known quantity to the encampment's senior staff.

Having said that, however, there is no need to treat people who wish to apply to an activity in that fashion if such was the case. A simple phone call or letter explaining the application process and why you may be at a disadvantage would have been in order. People may not always be able to get what they want but there is no excuse for treating people shabbily or as if they were a bother.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

spazyjosh

I am from utah wing and I actually know all these people mentioned from here personally. That said I do know that they all have the best intentions and I could vouch for most of them. Also with the staff positions im really not sure how thats going but I would expect they were trying to go with people that they knew so that the encampment could go more smoothly.

Patterson

Quote from: spazyjosh on April 01, 2014, 12:55:09 AM
...I would expect they were trying to go with people that they knew so that the encampment could go more smoothly.

Unfortunately, that is the excuse given to cover for nepotism and the creation of a "this club is for my friends only" mentality. 

Honestly, with the implementation of a huge change to ALL Encampments slatted to begin after 1 June 2014, most of the 2014 Encampments are in actuality "brand new" projects.

I feel Regions should be the hosting and organizing element of all Encampments in order to ensure proper standardization.

Garibaldi

I have to weigh in here.

There is a GOB network issue. They "know" the cadets from their wing, and not yours. Therefore they go with what they know.

Is it right? Yes and no. Yes in that they can exclude anyone from any wing they want, no in that it just ain't fair.

I can see their point. Cadets from Wing A are trained to Wing A's standards. Known quantity. Cadets from Wing B are trained to Wing B's standards. Do the two necessarily meet? No. I have seen disparity in ES training from wing to wing, using National's ES doctrine.

Wing A would not want to "train" wing B's cadets in that sort of environment. C/Capt Bag O'Donuts may have skated through the program, doing the bare minimum to get to his/her Earhart, while C/Capt. Highspeed took his/her time, studied hard, is an A student, outstanding cadet, and everything a cadet should be. C/Capt. Donuts is an unknown quantity to Wing A and might be a known issue in Wing B. The bad kind. Like I had to deal with. Another story for another time.

I'm not saying that is the case here. But it is a reality we face in inter-wing activities. You go with what you know. It even filters down to the Wing level in ES. ICs and MCs cherry pick their staff and there is no way to get in unless you are good friends with said IC or MC. You have to prove yourself constantly.

I'm sorry it is what it is, but that is the reality.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

GOB to focus on the wing's own cadets?

No. That's prudent training.

UTWG is not tasked with training IDWG cadets. IDWG is
Take it up with the Wing CC why you're not having and encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: SamuelRosinsky on March 31, 2014, 07:07:01 PM
Since Idaho Wing is not holding an encampment this year, most squadrons in the wing have decided that Utah Wing encampment would be the one that squadrons would agree to go to, and in turn travel to together.

I'd be very curious to know if the Utah Wing encampment leadership was consulted before your squadrons decided to apply en masse to staff and attend their encampment.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Panache

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2014, 01:33:41 AM
There is a GOB network issue. They "know" the cadets from their wing, and not yours. Therefore they go with what they know.

I wouldn't really call it a GOB problem.  UTWG probably feels that their priority should be to the own wing's cadets.  And that's an understandable perspective.

a2capt

Hey, don't feel bad. Could be worse. CAWG gets a a cadet encampment commander from COWG because they say there's no one else qualified..

Read: The CTG Clique didn't approve of anyone.. 

Works both ways.

abdsp51

I can see this both ways.  And honestly if the selection was upto me ES quals would be the last thing I'd look at if I even looked at them.

PA Guy

Deleted. Sorry

MSG Mac

This seems to be a matter of  Idaho deciding that Utah was the preferred alternative for an encampment. There is nothing in the OP that suggested that there was any "Official" communication between the Wings.  IDWG abuts 5 other states besides Utah, has any consideration been given to sending cadets to any of these encampments? In addition the focus should be on the 1st time cadets, not those desiring to be staff officers.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Garibaldi

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2014, 02:10:29 AM

No, GOB as in cherry picking. I am saying it's a fact of CAP. You go with what you know. Good, bad, or ugly, it is what it is. Training and advancement are not across the board, even to national standards. No requirement that the wing even look at outside applicants. That is what I am saying. How is it you can agree with me and make it look like you're disagreeing?  ???
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Garibaldi on April 01, 2014, 07:17:45 PMHow is it you can agree with me and make it look like you're disagreeing?  ???

1/2-reading the messages while I haunt a job site in INWG!

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on April 01, 2014, 02:10:29 AM

Not often that I am in 100% agreement with Eclipse....but here it is.

I put on my program for my cadets at my level.   Anyone is free to do what I do.   But If I don't let your cadets play in my program.....how is that my fault?

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

OTOH, we have had a working relationship at our encampment with TX-802, the Sheldon Composite Squadron, since 2003. Their cadets regularly attend our encampment and they work their way up through the staff positions just like the IL cadets do. A couple of their seniors are also on the staff roster as well. My XO is a senior from Sheldon and we would have a hard time running the thing without her.

If the cadets are willing to put in the time and go through the program, there is no reason that cadets from another wing can't hold upper level cadet staff positions including the cadet commander's slot. I am not saying the we have never had to slot someone in to a staff position cold when a cadet couldn't make it at the last minute or there weren't enough applicants for that particular job to fill all the slots, but we prefer to use cadets we have trained to fill those jobs.

Someone mentioned that with the new curriculum that all of these programs will be new. Not necessarily. In reviewing the new program, we only had to make a few small scheduling adjustments and change some terminology in order to be in line with the new guidelines. Our "program" is otherwise essentially unchanged.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PHall

Quote from: a2capt on April 01, 2014, 04:28:47 AM
Hey, don't feel bad. Could be worse. CAWG gets a a cadet encampment commander from COWG because they say there's no one else qualified..

Works both ways.

You failed to mention that said cadet is a California Wing cadet who currently attending the Air Force Academy.
He transferred his membership to Air Academy Cadet Squadron so he could continue to test and promote.

PA Guy

Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2014, 01:56:49 AM

Works both ways.

You failed to mention that said cadet is a California Wing cadet who currently attending the Air Force Academy.
He transferred his membership to Air Academy Cadet Squadron so he could continue to test and promote.

All of the applicants for CAWG Encampment Cadet Commander were highly qualified. However in the opinion of the selection board, composed of only seniors the cadet they selected was the most qualified of all the cadets that applied for that job.

PHall

Quote from: PA Guy on April 02, 2014, 02:06:20 AM

Works both ways.

All of the applicants for CAWG Encampment Cadet Commander were highly qualified. However in the opinion of the selection board, composed of only seniors the cadet they selected was the most qualified of all the cadets that applied for that job.

Yeah, I know, I was there.  And I know who was on the board.  The cadet in question had a pretty good board.
He also has a pretty good track record from all of the activities he's participated in and helped run.
The only potential problem is that his summer schedule at the Academy is not his to decide.
But the board was impressed enough with him to roll the dice and hire him anyway.

a2capt

Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2014, 01:56:49 AMYou failed to mention that said cadet is a California Wing cadet who currently attending the Air Force Academy.
I didn't realize that CAWG had any units in RMR-CO..  Learn something new everyday. Wow.

lordmonar

Quote from: a2capt on April 02, 2014, 07:15:40 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 02, 2014, 01:56:49 AMYou failed to mention that said cadet is a California Wing cadet who currently attending the Air Force Academy.
I didn't realize that CAWG had any units in RMR-CO..  Learn something new everyday. Wow.
:( now you just being a FPOC.  :(
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Works both ways.

Which makes him a...

...COWG cadet.

"Why" he's a COWG cadet is irrelevant. Who says he's ever coming back to CAWG?  He could
join the USAF, get deployed, wing up in Texas and never set foot in CAWG again.  And it
is extremely unlikely that he will ever return as a CAWG cadet.

Does CAWG continue to count every member who was ever on their rosters as "CAWG members"
even though they transfer?

"That Others May Zoom"

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2014, 08:27:51 PM

Works both ways.

Which makes him a...

...COWG cadet.

"Why" he's a COWG cadet is irrelevant. Who says he's ever coming back to CAWG?  He could
join the USAF, get deployed, wing up in Texas and never set foot in CAWG again.  And it
is extremely unlikely that he will ever return as a CAWG cadet.

Does CAWG continue to count every member who was ever on their rosters as "CAWG members"
even though they transfer?

Back in the day, it was common to leave membership with the home unit when going to school out of state. It was seen as a loyalty thing - the squadron that raised a cadet could be credited with whatever the cadet earned or did.

Of course, it was problematic when it came to sign-offs etc.

But, in this case, what does it matter? An experienced and qualified CAP cadet was selected to fill a CAP cadet position. Does his current charter number change anything?

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Eclipse

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on April 03, 2014, 01:13:56 AMBut, in this case, what does it matter? An experienced and qualified CAP cadet was selected to fill a CAP cadet position. Does his current charter number change anything?

Yes it changes who is responsible for his training.

If I were the wing CC, I'd make darn sure that my activities and training were focused on the members of my wing,
not cleaning up the mess of the failed programs next door.  This isn't the military, it's CAP, and most encampments
are a family of like-minded insane people willing to give up their time and treasure to the support of people
around them.  It's always nice to have some outside voices and involvement, but on the edge, not the core.

There is a whole 'nother echelon that is charged with activities that have a multi-wing scope.  It's called a
"Region", and if a Region CC wants to run a multi-wing encampment, more power to them, but a "Wing's"
encampment should be focused on the local members as staff and cadre.

The trouble is that we're shrinking as an organization so steadily that as wings can no longer run their own activities,
instead of pressing the issue with the failed wing, we just push the cadets somewhere else as if that is supposed to
be the "other dude's problem".

It's an issue, as mentioned but not picked up, that a significant number of cadets from another wing have "decided"
to go to CAWG, without, apparently, deeming it important to ask if that "decision" will negatively affect the activity,
or even if the activity can support their involvement.

I've seen this from both sides - I don't necessarily think Wings should bar participation in other wings (seen that recently),
or from other wings, but that pre-supposes that both respective wings have thriving programs and we're talking
onesie-twosies of experienced cadets with a few local encampments who want a different flavor, or simply
cannot get to their own wing's activity.

A wing either flooding a neighbor's encampment, or a wing CC letting his cadets go in large numbers to other wings,
can kill a program, one way or another, and then one or the other wing finds itself without an encampment
through no specific fault of its own, or more importantly, those hard-working insane people.

Wing CC's need to get a lot more directly involved in these issues and start repairing their own ships instead
of letting things "happen as they will", and supporting home-field activities instead of this "all one CAP nonsense"
which makes a convenient excuse, but doesn't fit the way CAP really works today.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on April 03, 2014, 01:28:19 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on April 03, 2014, 01:13:56 AMBut, in this case, what does it matter? An experienced and qualified CAP cadet was selected to fill a CAP cadet position. Does his current charter number change anything?

Yes it changes who is responsible for his training.

If I were the wing CC, I'd make darn sure that my activities and training were focused on the members of my wing,
not cleaning up the mess of the failed programs next door.  This isn't the military, it's CAP, and most encampments
are a family of like-minded insane people willing to give up their time and treasure to the support of people
around them.  It's always nice to have some outside voices and involvement, but on the edge, not the core.

There is a whole 'nother echelon that is charged with activities that have a multi-wing scope.  It's called a
"Region", and if a Region CC wants to run a multi-wing encampment, more power to them, but a "Wing's"
encampment should be focused on the local members as staff and cadre.

The trouble is that we're shrinking as an organization so steadily that as wings can no longer run their own activities,
instead of pressing the issue with the failed wing, we just push the cadets somewhere else as if that is supposed to
be the "other dude's problem".

It's an issue, as mentioned but not picked up, that a significant number of cadets from another wing have "decided"
to go to CAWG, without, apparently, deeming it important to ask if that "decision" will negatively affect the activity,
or even if the activity can support their involvement.

I've seen this from both sides - I don't necessarily think Wings should bar participation in other wings (seen that recently),
or from other wings, but that pre-supposes that both respective wings have thriving programs and we're talking
onesie-twosies of experienced cadets with a few local encampments who want a different flavor, or simply
cannot get to their own wing's activity.

A wing either flooding a neighbor's encampment, or a wing CC letting his cadets go in large numbers to other wings,
can kill a program, one way or another, and then one or the other wing finds itself without an encampment
through no specific fault of its own, or more importantly, those hard-working insane people.

Wing CC's need to get a lot more directly involved in these issues and start repairing their own ships instead
of letting things "happen as they will", and supporting home-field activities instead of this "all one CAP nonsense"
which makes a convenient excuse, but doesn't fit the way CAP really works today.

I'm getting deja vu.

a2capt

The view from the surface .. you mean to tell me that in a large wing like CAWG there were -NO- qualified cadets that could have served in that role, that wanted to actually do it?

I can understand in a wing like Rhode Island (being used as a hypothetical example) where they could be getting an encampment program off the ground, where they might have participated in joint encampment for several years, and need the mentorship. But a wing that is currently showing 1,499 cadets? Not a one? Those that applied were that far less desired over someone who's disconnected and moved on?

The whole sense of entitlement and heirism just needs to go, because that is exactly what that smacks of, and it's not the first time it's been done. Does it impact me directly? No. Do I see it impacting others? A bit, yes. For exactly the same questions raised. "why did they have to go get someone from outside the wing?"

The whole "Cadet Training Group" mentality has gone too far. CAWG has 8 groups, not 9. For a 10 day activity, they sure throw the "Group" in the CTG around quite a bit, in ways of influencing other activities.

Майор Хаткевич

I'm just wondering how they manage the whole "thousands of miles away" in terms of planning. You'd think this cadet would be more focused on his academics...

a2capt

I meant to mention that too, .. someone from over there who really should be worried about the USAFA, not some event a thousand miles back down the road..

Do as I say, not as I do. Will the C/CC be at the Staff Selection event? I guess time will tell. They certainly harangue everyone else to be there if they expect to get chosen for staff.. Though I'm actually convinced that it's all a charade, they've made their minds up already. Much like the experience that started this thread. 

PA Guy

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 03, 2014, 06:21:19 AM
I'm just wondering how they manage the whole "thousands of miles away" in terms of planning. You'd think this cadet would be more focused on his academics...

We live in an electronic world. For the last few yrs the bulk of the encampment is planned electronically.  The cadet's  academic affairs are none of your or my business. I can tell you it was discussed long and hard by the selection board.

PA Guy

Quote from: a2capt on April 03, 2014, 07:01:58 AM
I meant to mention that too, .. someone from over there who really should be worried about the USAFA, not some event a thousand miles back down the road..

Do as I say, not as I do. Will the C/CC be at the Staff Selection event? I guess time will tell. They certainly harangue everyone else to be there if they expect to get chosen for staff.. Though I'm actually convinced that it's all a charade, they've made their minds up already. Much like the experience that started this thread.

This is becoming personal. You have a long history of animosity toward the CAWG Encampment and seldom miss a chance to grind your saw often using half truths and innuendo. In this thread you have repeatedly questioned the competence, and most importantly the integrity of many members. You refer to a CTG Clique. Does it include seniors or just cadets? Do you honestly believe a bunch of cadets sit around and determine who will be selected for Encampment Staff?? There may be cadets who hang out together but any power they may think they have is strictly in their dreams particularly in the past 3-4 yrs,

I'm sorry you feel that you are being" harangued" about cadets being encouraged to attend the SSX The intent is to make sure cadet's are aware of the activity and have a chance to apply. It also attempts to create a transparent process and a level playing field. After all it is pretty hard to expect a job if you don't show up for the interview.

Yes the C/CC does plan to attend SSX.

What exactly do you mean by charade?  Are you suggesting all of the positions for cadets have already been selected? The only cadets selected so far are the C/CC and the executive staff. All others will be selected at SSX

Your posts on this thread have had nothing to do with the OP's question or problem. It just provides a forum for you to grind your axe.

The opening sentence of your post I quoted sets the tone for the rest of the post. Cheap shot.

If you have any further questions why not direct them to the Encampment Commander.

SilentPhantom

Works both ways.

I happen to be in that CC's COWG squadron. He'll be a fantastic CC. He's a freshman at USAFA and a C/Maj and fromerly a CAWG cadet.
C/2dLt