Acquiring stuff for training library

Started by UH60guy, February 19, 2014, 07:16:34 PM

UH60guy

Looking through the Professional Development Officer Senior Level Training Checklist, I came across the "...acquire at least one new item for the unit training library from an outside agency."

I'm just curious, what sorts of items have others out there "acquired?" It seems pretty vague, but then again, that also means some cool stuff might turn up.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

AdAstra

The AU Library has a number of free books that can be downloaded. My PD library includes AU-2 Guidelines for Command, AU-24 Concepts of AF Leadership, Commanding an AF Squadron in the 21st Century, etc.

Two books from the commercial leadership/management shelf at the bookstore: It's Your Ship, by retired LtCdr Michael Abrashoff, and Heirpower!: Eight Basic Habits of Exceptionally Powerful Lieutenants, by retired CMSgt Bob Vasquez. Both are quick and breezy reads, but I found some good tips directly relating to CAP.

I highly recommend taking the online FEMA course IS-265, "Basic Instructional Skills", both for all Professional Development Officers and to add to the PD library. Much better than CAP's online "Basic Instructor Course", and not nearly as long and detailed at AFM 36-2236, "Guidebook for Air Force Instructors" (also in my PD library).

Has anyone set up the reading room for the PD library, as suggested in CAPP 204?  ;)

Charles Wiest

UH60guy

Quote from: AdAstra on February 19, 2014, 08:11:30 PM
Has anyone set up the reading room for the PD library, as suggested in CAPP 204?  ;)

I haven't, and thank goodness it's a "suggestion..." I'd rather run a lending library than have Senior members show up once a week to read :)
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO

TarRiverRat

We have an area for them to read and also have a way they can check out the info.  I am still working on ours but have found a lot of good books from the Idiots, All you need to know, and Dummies guides on management, communications, leading volunteers and etc.  Still working to get others.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057