Main Menu

NCO Program Launched

Started by ProdigalJim, October 21, 2013, 10:36:18 PM

Grumpy

Ye gad, with all the other things in this world that we should really be worried about, we're arguing over simple courtesy.  Maybe "Hey you" or "dude" would be OK.  Of course if the person were a female, as opposed to a lady or women, we could say "Hey dudette".   8)

ProdigalJim

I don't think I've ever started a thread that generated 400+ posts. And it wasn't even a uniform thread...
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

RiverAux

Don't get too cocky.... you're only #9 on the top 10 threads (by replies) list.  But it is one of the very few of those threads that isn't about uniforms. 

cap235629

I think the new top 3 will be uniforms, nco's and rangers.........
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

arajca

Quote from: ProdigalJim on November 03, 2013, 02:42:23 AM
I don't think I've ever started a thread that generated 400+ posts. And it wasn't even a uniform thread...
Not for a lack of trying on folks parts...

Майор Хаткевич

Pft. My ABU topic also hit 9 long pages. If it wasn't for some poopoo posts probably be on the top 3 easy.

SarDragon

WIW in boot camp, all NCOs were called sir, until graduation.

That was at Great Mistakes, in 1969. Things may have changed since then.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Panache

Quote from: SarDragon on November 03, 2013, 04:40:20 AM
WIW in boot camp, all NCOs were called sir, until graduation.

Back in my Army basic training days, in the early 90's, anybody who wore the Brown Round was referred to as "Drill Sergeant", no ifs-and-or-buts. 

ol'fido

A few bullet points on my humble opinion of this whole thing:

1. I don't care much whether we do this or not. I do think that there ought to be a method by which the NCOs we have can be promoted and the TIG requirements for this should be on par with the RM. No 23 year old CMSgts IOW.

2. Yes, we could probably do just as well with all officers, no officers just positional titles, or some combination of the two. I would prefer it if we kept it the way it is with the proviso of point one about promoting. I would also like it if CAP, the AF, and the entire armed forces went back to a more military style of organization designations. In other words, I wish we had wing "Cadet Programs Officers" rather than "Directors of Cadet Programs", etc.

3. While I would like to see CAP go to fewer uniforms just for simplicity's sake, I am happy wearing my polo, grays and whites, and BBDUs, etc. I would like an option for prior military to wear some of their military bling on these. I don't think letting somebody wear the same rack across the board or one specialty badge, wings, or occupational badge would cause the "Apocalypse".

4. If we have NCOs, let's not get torqued up about every little detail like what or when we refer to them such as Sergeant or Sir/Maam. Every new program will have it's teething pains and every one will have its bugs that need to be worked out. This will get done eventually although it may not be to everyone's satisfaction.

5. My view of the NCOs vs. Officers thing with regard to the roles they would play in the organization is that I would look at each of them not as an officer or NCO but as a Senior Member. I have seen over the years good and bad officers and good and bad NCOs. I would much rather work with a good person than a bad one no matter what rank they have on their collar.

6. As for what other people or organizations think of us because we have this or that, they will judge us by a) Our willingness to show up ready and able to go and b) our performance after we show up and not what we wear on our collar.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

JeffDG

Quote from: cap235629 on November 03, 2013, 03:20:06 AM
Quick, someone post a thread for what uniforms are appropriate for NCO rangers.

sarmed1

Once when deployed I had a conversation that went something like this......
seeing a USMC 1sgt getting onto the ambus..

Me: Mornin' Top, how are you?
1Sgt:  My rank is FIRST SERGEANT!
Me:  Sorry, First Sergeant, around here we call they guy with the diamond in the middle TOP or SHIRT.
1Sgt:  Well in the Marines we call each other by our Full Ranks; what do they call you?
Me:  My rank is Senior Airman, but being that I am an Air Force Reservist, they mostly call me Mark.
1Sgt:  No recognition of the humor involved...only look of "...God I hate the other services...."

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

stillamarine

Actually in the Marine Corps, Top is reserved for Master Sgts. Although that is usually a privilege reserved for someone you know or they tell you that you can call them Top.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

DennisH

In the Army you have two types of First Sergeant's ones that understand that Top, First Shirt, Top kick etc are a sign of respect and come from a different time. The others have a stroke and correct you. As I said before there are those that wear the rank and others that live it. :)

If you really want to live dangerously walk up to a SGM/CSM and call them Smage, then run...
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Assistant Testing Officer
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

Private Investigator

Quote from: DennisH on November 04, 2013, 05:51:43 PM
If you really want to live dangerously walk up to a SGM/CSM and call them Smage, then run...

What if you call them, "Shirley"?   8)

Shuman 14

Quote"Do I look like I have the IQ of a rock? I am a commissioned officer not someone whose parents were brother and sister."

:clap:

Darn Top, I just spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard!  ;D
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: usafaux2004 on November 01, 2013, 10:49:42 PM
Quote from: Grumpy on November 01, 2013, 08:58:32 PM
The AFA announced last Friday that after having been sued by Military Religious Freedom Foundation founder, Mikey Weinstein, the clause, "So help me God" will become optional in the cadet oath.

I know, I know, they said optional.  That's why I said "trying" to take it out of the oath.  But, IMHO,  that's just the first step.

I read the article in Military.com dated 28 Oct 2013.

So what's the issue?

Progressives... with too much time on their hands.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: JeffDG on November 03, 2013, 02:31:50 PM
Quote from: cap235629 on November 03, 2013, 03:20:06 AM
Quick, someone post a thread for what uniforms are appropriate for NCO rangers.

Tan beret, boxer shorts and combat boots.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune

DennisH

Quote from: Private Investigator on November 05, 2013, 03:41:52 AM
Quote from: DennisH on November 04, 2013, 05:51:43 PM

What if you call them, "Shirley"?   8)

You may confuse them and have more time to run but you will still die tired :)
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

DennisH

Quote from: shuman14 on November 05, 2013, 04:33:22 AM
Quote"Do I look like I have the IQ of a rock? I am a commissioned officer not someone whose parents were brother and sister."

:clap:

Darn Top, I just spit Dr. Pepper all over my keyboard!  ;D

Aha Sir if one can not laugh at themselves the they are trully in a very bad place :) Dr. Pepper is bad for you and our key board.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Supply Officer

Shuman 14

Awe... but carbonated sugar water is my only vice left.  :(

I don't drink, I don't smoke, I avoid red meat and fatty foods, I don't do drugs, I don't run thru juicey girls in Itaewon anymore... but I have to have my Dr. Pepper.  ;)
Joseph J. Clune