Main Menu

NCO Program Launched

Started by ProdigalJim, October 21, 2013, 10:36:18 PM

CAPAPRN

AFI34-1201 4 OCTOBER 2006
Chapter 8
CUSTOMS AND COURTESIEs
8.2. Other Marks of Respect.
8.2.1. Juniors shall show deference to seniors at all times by recognizing their presence and by employing
a courteous and respectful bearing and mode of speech toward them.

e.g. "Good afternoon SMSgt Jones"  therefore "Good afternoon sir" became easier. There is no AFI stating NCO's are to be addressed as Sir/Ma'am.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment

AirAux

Never seen it, never heard it.

e.g. "Good afternoon SMSgt Jones"  therefore "Good afternoon Sargeant" became easier.

The whole idea of our concept is that "They" don't want to be officers.  Traditionally Sir refers to officer.  (And would therefore be an insult to our bonafide NCO's that are insisting on adding an NCO corps to CAP.)

NCRblues

Happens every day on active duty AF. Sir or ma'am to SSGT and above.

Even the TI's at basic are called sir/ma'am
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

Oh, basic is a whole different ball game. Special arena, special rules.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

Quote from: SarDragon on November 01, 2013, 04:31:07 AM

Ok, let me put it this way.

In the 3 commands I was assigned to plus in basic and in tech school, all the NCO's (including when I made SSGT) was called sir/ma'am.

Now, maybe those 3 units in 3 different MAJCOMS was doing things wrong but...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SarDragon

Quote from: NCRblues on November 01, 2013, 04:36:54 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on November 01, 2013, 04:31:07 AM

Ok, let me put it this way.

In the 3 commands I was assigned to plus in basic and in tech school, all the NCO's (including when I made SSGT) was called sir/ma'am.

Now, maybe those 3 units in 3 different MAJCOMS was doing things wrong but...

I'm agreeing with you, while pointing out that, for all services, what happens at basic can be different from the real world.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ColonelJack

Quote from: PHall on November 01, 2013, 03:02:09 AM
Really, Air Force NCO's are called sir/ma'am, really?
You wouldn't have a cite for that because I was never called sir except by accident. And that was because I was wearing a flight suit on an AETC base.

They sure are called "sir" during basic training.  It's the first word out of your mouth whenever you talk to a TI.

Memories ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

JC004

Storm Chaser

You wouldn't have a cite for that because I was never called sir except by accident. And that was because I was wearing a flight suit on an AETC base.

It's an Air Force custom; I don't believe it's spelled out in any AFI. I've been in the Air Force for over 17 years both as an officer and NCO and it's always been perfectly acceptable to call an NCO "sir" or "ma'am". In fact, I remembered being yelled at by a SrA when I first enlisted because I didn't call her "ma'am". In the Air Force, you don't usually hear anyone being called just plain "sergeant". It's more common to be called "Sgt Smith" or "Sgt Jones", than just "sergeant".

AirAux

So, if real active duty NCO's want to be called Sir, why is there a problem with them being officers in CAP and rightfully being called Sir?  Whatever happened to NCO pride and the old, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"??

Grumpy

Quote from: AirAux on November 01, 2013, 04:54:03 PM
So, if real active duty NCO's want to be called Sir, why is there a problem with them being officers in CAP and rightfully being called Sir?  Whatever happened to NCO pride and the old, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"??

What ever happened to calling someone Sir or Ma'am out of simple politeness or respect?  Wow!  What a novel idea.

a2capt

That whole line of "I work for a living" disgusts me.
Everyone is there to work, everyone has a function, together, everyone advances.

AirAux

Whatever happened to NCO pride and the old, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"??

Hey, I didn't make it up, NCO's did and I heard it many times in the military..  All work for a living, but not all carry an M-4 to work..

Further heritage notes "Sir" is a connotation of title, such as knighthood.  Not necessarily used by the rank and file.  Also, CAP Cadets do not refer to CAP Cadet NCO's as Sir. 

I guess we can make it optional, like, "So help me God" at USAFA..   Why have customs, courtesies, or tradition in the military anyhow??  I am so glad I was old school military, so help me God!!

Storm Chaser

Quote from: AirAux on November 01, 2013, 06:10:53 PM
Also, CAP Cadets do not refer to CAP Cadet NCO's as Sir. 

Many cadets learn this at encampment and other similar activities. I suspect this comes from prior service members from other services. When I was a cadet, we had a C/Lt Col and C/Maj who were both in the Army National Guard. They incorporated many Army themes into our cadet training. A couple of years later, we had a Marine Reservist and he did the same thing, incorporating Marine themes into our training.

Why else would we wear a reverse flag on our BDUs? The Air Force doesn't, so I suspect whoever came up with the idea was looking at the Army BDU/ACU.

lordmonar

Quote from: NCRblues on October 31, 2013, 08:35:18 PM
Quote from: DennisH on October 31, 2013, 08:22:53 PM
Speaking for myself I had a hard time originally being called Sir, it's a hard habit after serving as an NCO for 30plus years.

That is simply a personal issue, and should have zero effect on how CAP conducts any form of business.

CAP is the Air Force Auxiliary, not the Army aux or the Navy or the Corps. We follow the AF traditions, and in the AF NCO's are called sir/ma'am.

I see this as becoming an issue with sister service NCO's coming in and demanding the "Army/navy/corps way of doing things" and that is unacceptable.

I called all my NCO's Sir/Ma'am except maybe the chief.
Day one at BMTS it was "Sir! Airman Harris Reports"!

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

lordmonar

I hate that joke and I yelled at all my peers who told it.   It only teaches the airman to disrespect the officers.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

DennisH

I can't speak for all old Army NCOs but telling someone don't call me Sir, I work for a living was always a joke shared up close and personal and never near the wrong ears. Some folks need to be very aware of what they say , to whom and who is listening. Others need to lighten up and enjoy some humor before they implode. I had a young Soldier who was flustered call a CPT "Sergeant" without missing a beat the CPT said " Do I look like I have the IQ of a rock? I am a commissioned officer not someone whose parents were brother and sister"  I laughed, the PVT apologized and moved off never to are that mistake again.
Some folks wear their rank and others are their rank.
1st Lt Hicks, Dennis M.
207th Composite Squadron
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Assistant Testing Officer
Supply Officer
From an old school 1SG after being told he need to be more PC to conform to the new army:
I've been a PFC three times in my career. What makes you think that I'm afraid to become one again.

Grumpy

Quote from: lordmonar on November 01, 2013, 07:58:22 PM
I hate that joke and I yelled at all my peers who told it.   It only teaches the airman to disrespect the officers.

Not to mention the fact that you're correcting them for using everyday common courtesy.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: AirAux on November 01, 2013, 06:10:53 PM
Whatever happened to NCO pride and the old, "Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"??

Hey, I didn't make it up, NCO's did and I heard it many times in the military..  All work for a living, but not all carry an M-4 to work..

Further heritage notes "Sir" is a connotation of title, such as knighthood.  Not necessarily used by the rank and file.  Also, CAP Cadets do not refer to CAP Cadet NCO's as Sir. 

I guess we can make it optional, like, "So help me God" at USAFA..   Why have customs, courtesies, or tradition in the military anyhow??  I am so glad I was old school military, so help me God!!

What's the problem with "So help me god" at the AFA?

Grumpy

"They" are working on removing it from the honor code.