High Performance Endorsement

Started by Flying Pig, March 21, 2007, 10:40:39 PM

Flying Pig

If someone is already a CAP member, can they use a CAP C-182 to gain their HP endorsement if they use a CAP member CFI?

CFI_Ed

Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

Flying Pig

SAR-EMT1

Since when is a SKYLANE a High Performance capable Airframe?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Flying Pig

The 182 has a 230 bhp engine.  Over 200 bhp + and you are required to have High Performance endorsement.

SAR-EMT1

No disrespect intended- just disbelief-
The HP endorsment is based on HP, not Aerobatic ability? WoW! .....
- opinion of FAA drops accordingly.

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SJFedor

Yeah, the term "high performance" has to do with respect only to the horsepower of the engine of the aircraft. Kinda like a high performance car references mainly to the car's engine. If I could make a pinto do 0-60 in 3.4, that would be considered a high performance car, right?

Mainly because HP aircraft are typically more advanced then your dads piper cub, w/ constant speed prop, as well as the fact that they can have a lot more yaw on takeoff, and can get you into trouble just a bit faster.

But yes virginia, you may do your high performance endorsement in a CAP aircraft. I just did it a few months ago. A local FBO near here does a high performance endorsement course for $1000 in a 182, with 5 hours of flight time and a checkride/checkout. Needless to say, doing it in CAP saved me some green.

However, to fly the 182 in CAP w/o a CFI, you'll need to follow the 60-1's "high performance transition" course, which revolves mainly on  landings, since the 182 is a lot more nose heavy then the 172, which can equal bent firewalls if you're not careful. Also, the 182 at full power can get very nose high, almost parachute-requirement nose high before it'll stall, which can get u in trouble. I recommend doing it, because it'll give you some more respect for a high performance engine.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Al Sayre

The reason for the endorsement is to ensure that a pilot is cognizant of the (generally) more complicated systems of operating larger engines so that they are operated properly.  For example: use of cowl flaps to control engine temp, manifold pressure vs. altitude, controllable pitch props (on most high performance aircraft), turbochargers and blowers and their effects and so forth.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SAR-EMT1

I suppose I should apologize, but when I think of a High performance car I think of an engine able to outrun police cruisers and a suspension system to match. While wheeling through fields, off through yards and over curbs. 

;D
I'm see it often enough - or rather its result, at work -

When I think of a high performance plane I think of one that is fast and nimble. With an Airframe to match: capable of Immelmanns Barrel Rolls and such

Read: Pitts Special, F15 etc...

JMHO
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

flyguy06

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 23, 2007, 10:26:54 AM
I suppose I should apologize, but when I think of a High performance car I think of an engine able to outrun police cruisers and a suspension system to match. While wheeling through fields, off through yards and over curbs. 

;D
I'm see it often enough - or rather its result, at work -

When I think of a high performance plane I think of one that is fast and nimble. With an Airframe to match: capable of Immelmanns Barrel Rolls and such

Read: Pitts Special, F15 etc...

JMHO

A High Performance plane is fast compared to regualr single engine piston airplanes. In fact, a C-182 is fatser than a lot of light twins such s a Duchess or Semiole