Considering Rejoining CAP

Started by bmlusk1911, May 18, 2013, 08:25:49 PM

bmlusk1911

I was a Cadet back in the late 90's, got my Mitchell Award, went on to AFROTC at Clemson University, got commissioned and now I'm a Major in the USAF Reserves.  Most of the time, I'm on active duty.  I was a Missileer, now working Intelligence.  I've done three combat tours in the Mid-East, worked a lot of staff positions, and I'm looking to give back to the program that brought me so far towards my calling in life.

I'm considering coming back to CAP as a volunteer, and I'd like to focus on Cadet Programs.  I am more interested in giving back by developing the next generation of America's leaders.  I've been really impressed by a lot of what I read on here, which is why I'm getting some opinions from board members.  A couple things to know about my mentality:

1.)  Could care less about racking up a bunch of awards, just want to make a difference for some cadets.
2.)  While reliving my butter bar days again could be fun, it would be contrary to my intended purpose in joining (being a role model for cadets.)  I'd want to keep my current rank.
3.)  I'm not here for fun and games, just want to get the job done.  Get cadets through the program, and if we've worked hard, then we can play hard.

My hesitations are as follows:

1.)  Seeing a lot of the "My Squadron's Failing" type posts.....Anyone ever trot out the "knife hand" and some chewing outs?  I might.....
2.)  I truly believe it's an honor to wear the uniform.  I expect CAP volunteers to wear it respectfully, and I've seen some real goofiness from some members.
3.)  If I'm going to invest my time in this, I expect to be part of a positive, professional group.  Once again, I've seen some goofiness from some members.

That being said, in the Tampa Bay area, anyone know of any good Squadrons that have strong cadet programs?

Thanks for the help,

Brock

Storm Chaser

Welcome to CAP Talk! I too am in the Air Force Reserve and truly enjoy volunteering with CAP. If you're interested in joining, I recommend that you look around for units in your area. Visit them a few times until you find one that you like. You should be able to get your Maj rank. You will have to complete Level 1 first and be recommended by your unit commander. Maj has to be approved by the wing commander. In some units, especially in Florida Wing, they may make you wait a few months before they recommend you for promotion; it makes sense since they may want to get to know you first.

I respect the fact that you want to join CAP to work; most of us feel the same way. But as a fellow USAFR officer, I recommend that you get to know CAP first (it's changed a lot since you left) and go through as much training as you can and get your PD done. While some of your experience as a Maj in AFRC may translate to CAP, CAP is not the Air Force or the Reserve. As far as uniforms go, I don't see the problem. We want officers that wear their uniforms properly and enforce the standards. And while I recommend you find a squadron that you like and feel comfortable working with, I wouldn't discard a unit just because it has problems. Some of these units are in desperate need of motivated individuals to turn them around. I hope you join and that your experience is a positive one.

brent.teal

Level 1 is no big deal.  It will take you a couple of hours, if that.   
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Private Investigator

Welcome aboard the CAP Talk.

Look at three Squadrons. Lots of people go to the closest Unit and get a great disappointed and a better Squadron, or a better fit, is just another two miles away. I took my son to three different Squadrons, he liked the Composite. Many years later I took my youngest daughter and she preferred a Cadet Squadron.

Back in the 90s you saw one thing and it was great. Now you might see things differently. The most important thing is have fun with it and mentor the next generation.   

mwewing

I was also a cadet back in the late 90s, and rejoined about 2 years ago. While some things are the same, there are also many changes that you will need to familiarize yourself with. Even before submitting my application, I spent quite a bit of time on the CAP website learning about the senior side of things. I read some regulations, looked at the PD pages to see what is required at each level, and thought about what specialty tracks I might like. This baseline knowledge made my transition back into the program much easier.

It sounds like you are joining for all the right reasons. Giving back to the cadet program was a major factor in my decision as well. Keeping your grade shouldn't be an issue. You will have to produce some paperwork, and wait for the required people to sign off, but I wouldn't think there would be objections.

As far as your hesitations go, many senior members have difficulty wearing the uniform, I even struggle despite having been a cadet. However, most senior members I have met, are eager to correct their issues and learn how to better comply with uniform policies. I even know of a senior squadron that periodically has a cadet come in and conduct uniform inspections to help them correct issues. The success of a unit, along with the professionalism of the membership, depend on a number of variables. Perhaps the strongest of these variables is the leadership style and effectiveness of the squadron commander. I agree with the other comments, you will want to visit as many nearby units as you can within a reasonable commuting distance for you. Each squadron, even the very successful ones, has its own personality and emphasizes different things. What I think makes a strong cadet program may differ from what you think based on our priorities. Visiting and forming your own opinions is probably the best way to make your decision.

Yes we get a lot of threads regarding problems and failing squadrons. It is important to remember that CAPTalk is only a small subsection of the overall CAP membership. It is also important to remember that people use sites like these to get input from people they might not otherwise have contact with. That can be extremely effective when trying to find solutions to problems. I know that if I have an issue, there are probably some members here who have had similar experiences. They might be a continent away, but I can use this board to learn from their experiences. It is often these threads that generate the most activity because these issues are often not very clear cut. The varying opinions and suggestions of posters will usually turn into spirited debate. That kind of debate is unlikely for some other kinds of posts.

I agree with Storm Chaser's statement regarding troubled units. You should try to get a sense of what the issues are, and how they might be corrected. Most of the troubled units just need some motivated members. They should welcome your passion and experience. You might be the final puzzle piece that enables them to reach their goals.

Welcome Back, and Good Luck!
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)

bmlusk1911

Thanks for the advice and warm welcome.  The latter has definitely cemented in my mind that I should rejoin.

I'm looking forward to getting back involved.

BillB

You list your unit as SER-SC-001   South Carolina is not in SER
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

bmlusk1911

Right now I'm not part of any unit, I've been lurking for a couple months to see what had been new in CAP.

I used to be in the Blue Ridge Composite Squadron (doesn't look like it exists anymore.)  I tried to look it up, but couldn't find any information on it.

I'll update that when I get back to Tampa Bay and find a unit.

v/r

Brock