Pipeline Recruiting (for cadets)

Started by Stonewall, February 18, 2013, 07:56:12 PM

Stonewall

From a 6 year old discussion on "pipline recruiting", what are your thoughts? 

I'm back and working with cadets again after a long break, and curious to know if anyone is doing this.  I personally consider this the best way, but so many are against it. 

Note:  Right now the squadron I'm in doesn't need to recruit.  In fact, we have more cadets than we can honestly effectively right now.  But we're working on that...

Quote from: Stonewall in 2007

People will argue all day and all night about bringing people in at a set date, but it has proven its worth 10x over with retention in the long run.

For years, as a deputy commander for cadets and later, a squadron commander, we started recruiting campaigns that advertised two things.  1) an open house and 2) a "new basic cadet training class", as if it were so few and far between, you better get your butt in before its too late.

Most squadrons and their leadership are hard up for members and think this concept will only turn people away, but it is a tried and true method.  We'd do major advertising.  Earlier I said "recruiting" but I lied, we never recruited, we advertised; got the word out about CAP.  I'd mail 10 CAP pamphlets with squadron info, open house date and a POC to every library within our area for their public service announcement desk.  I'd send cadets with 8.5 x 11" "posters" advertising our open house.  You name it, I'd get the word out in some way shape or form.

Come open house time, we went all out.  We'd have a very professional gear set up, like the PJs and Special Forces guys do at the airshows.  We'd do an ELT demo where the cadet GTMs would set up an ELT in a car and track it down.  We'd do the standard 12 minute video and of course, I would speak.  I've been called somewhat of a car salesman as far as CAP goes.  The cadet commander would speak so the young'uns visiting would see that the program is "for cadets by cadets".  We'd have model rockets on display.  Do a color guard presentation and really just sell the program.  We made them believe it is in fact an honor and privilege to be a member of CAP.

At the end, we'd say, okay folks, thanks for coming.  If you are interested in joining CAP our next Training Flight will start in 4 weeks.  You will be given all the information you need to sign up and become a member, but we won't accept your money and application until you have attended 3 meetings.  CAP isn't for everybody and we don't want you to waste your money.  Oh, and when you show up, your uniform is blue jeans with a plain black tshirt tucked in with a belt.  Any questions?

We'd have anywhere between 5 and 12 new cadets show up, and chances are, their initial impression with the program keeps them in the program a lot longer than those who trickled in and weren't put through an 8 week program that was separate from the rest of the squadron.  TRUST ME, IT WORKS!!! 

Some say that may be way too much work to get 5 new recruits out of it.  But if you do that 3 times a  year, that's at least 15 new cadets a year.  In the end, it brings both quantity and quality.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

You know my opinion and my experience. :)

But 15-18 cadets EVERY TIME is proof in the pudding.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Walkman

Since being assigned R/RO to both Sqdn & Grp, I've been doing my best to gather as much "best practices" experience from here and other places. The "pipeline" method has a lot of advantages:

• Retention seems to be a little higher when you have at least a couple of people that can go through the newbie process together.
  • It's much easier to train people in groups and keep the momentum than onsie-twosie all the time. I have this trouble in the BSA, ES training and general membership as well. At least for the initial Level 1/Curry area work.
  • The big media blast for a recruiting event can open/renew media channels for PAOs.
  • When you have more than one prospect checking things out, it adds legitimacy and a better impression of the unit's success.

I think there might be a unit cultural aspect to this too. We tried an open house last spring. I tried everything I'd read about & pushed rally hard. In the end, it fell kind of flat. Not many squadron members did personal invitations, none of the VIPs we invited showed up and a year later, we have one cadet from the effort. I think we have a pretty good cadet program, so I don't think its one of those situations where 'If you build it, they will come". For some reason, our people just aren't passionate about recruiting.

On the SMs side of things, I'm trying to come up with a plan to get some new blood. We're a Composite squadron in name only really. While there are almost as many SMs and cadets on the rolls, the one that show up and are active are working with cadets for the most part. I've been talking my the CC and I'd like to get a group of 4-6 new SMs that don't have CP assignments so that we can really build a good senior program with solid ES training and stuff like that.

Have you had success in grabbing SMs from the pipeline method?

RiverAux

This type of process makes an incredible amount of sense for cadets since they are linked to things like starts of new school years, etc. that you give you natural recruiting periods. 

With seniors I do think this sort of thing can work, but I'm not so sure it would be worth it.  After the very little initial training, seniors are apt to go off in all sorts of different directions while all your new cadets are going to be working down the exact same path.  The case for making seniors recruits wait around for months to join isn't nearly as strong. 

Don't get me wrong -- I'm still all in favor of having major recruiting events linked to specific open house nights as I've seen those work well in CAP and my local VFD.  But, that shouldn't be the only time you take new members.

Stonewall

Quote from: Walkman on February 18, 2013, 08:24:51 PM
Since being assigned R/RO to both Sqdn & Grp, I've been doing my best to gather as much "best practices" experience from here and other places. The "pipeline" method has a lot of advantages:

• Retention seems to be a little higher when you have at least a couple of people that can go through the newbie process together.
  • The big media blast for a recruiting event can open/renew media channels for PAOs.
  • When you have more than one prospect checking things out, it adds legitimacy and a better impression of the unit's success.

I think there might be a unit cultural aspect to this too. We tried an open house last spring. I tried everything I'd read about & pushed rally hard. In the end, it fell kind of flat. Not many squadron members did personal invitations, none of the VIPs we invited showed up and a year later, we have one cadet from the effort. I think we have a pretty good cadet program, so I don't think its one of those situations where 'If you build it, they will come". For some reason, our people just aren't passionate about recruiting.

Have you had success in grabbing SMs from the pipeline method?

It is a cultural thing and it won't happen overnight, or after just one pipeline event.  It will take time.

As far as your open house, I think you went too far.  It's much easier than what you described.  You do not need VIPs present.  The visitors won't know who's a VIP and who isn't.  A CAP Colonel/Wing CC isn't much more impressive than a Lt Col/Squadron CC to visitors who know little about CAP.

Here is what I wrote about open house:

QuoteCome open house time, we went all out.  We'd have a very professional gear set up, like the PJs and Special Forces guys do at the airshows.  We'd do an ELT demo where the cadet GTMs would set up an ELT in a car and track it down.  We'd do the standard 12 minute video and of course, I would speak.  I've been called somewhat of a car salesman as far as CAP goes.  The cadet commander would speak so the young'uns visiting would see that the program is "for cadets by cadets".  We'd have model rockets on display.  Do a color guard presentation and really just sell the program.  We made them believe it is in fact an honor and privilege to be a member of CAP.

If you notice, I had CADETS involved, not just me.  I spoke for a few minutes, but I let the cadets "tell" the story through their demonstrations, etc. 

Let me tell you a little secret:  Require current cadets to bring a guest.  They don't have to join or even have an interest.  Force them to bring a friend, cousin, sister, brother, parent, etc.  It's sort of psychological, but it'll make it feel more worth while with a larger crowd.

Here is how I announced it (starting 4 weeks PRIOR to the open house):

1. Placed free ads in multiple community newspapers, the free newspapers, in the "community announcements" section.  Not just once, but each week leading up to the open house.

2. Sent 10 CAP brochures to every public library in the county.

3. Personally went to libraries and community centers and posted (with permission) standard page sized announcements about the up coming open house.

4. I printed off HUNDREDS of B&W (sometimes color) flyers and went so far as to place them EVERYWHERE I didn't think would look bad for CAP.  Example, if I went to Jiffy Lube to get an oil change, I casually left one or two, or three with the magazines.

5. Grocery stores usually have a "community announcements" display case, I posted them there, too.

6. And of course, this goes without question...cadet need to have this announced and posted at school.

With ALL of that, you may only get 10 potential "new hires".  But that's TEN!!!!  Of them, maybe 5 to 8 will join.  But that's 5 to 8 more than you had before.  In some squadrons, that's a 50% gain!

Seniors:  I've never actually gone out and tried recruiting seniors.  They usually find their way to CAP.  However, I have recruited parents of cadets that were recruited via the pipeline method.
Serving since 1987.

Walkman

Stonewall - I agree with all of the above.

Just for clarification's sake. When I mentioned VIPs, I was referring to local community leader types. Politicians, LEOs, etc. We sent a letter with a "come and meet us" vibe. With that, maybe I was reaching a little too far, trying to create the "perfect storm".

Also on the unit culture subject, I had the whole unit involved. We have cadets and SMs manning presentation tables on different aspects of the program, some assigned to give a 2 minute talk on a subject and then some doing admin/working the room jobs. I tried to get everyone to set a goal of inviting several people, but most didn't really do much from what I can tell.

In retrospect, (not trying to thread jack, but maybe this will help implement your ideas better learning from my mistakes)

• We tried to do too much (inviting VIPs, etc)
  • There was/is no recruiting "culture" in the unit, so before we work on a big project, we should have tried some smaller steps.
  • Need to make sure that the key jobs are being done by those that are 1) totally committed to the event and 2) have the time and expertise to pull it off. Our PAO is a great person and a close friend. But, she was also pregnant at the time and I shouldn't have asked her to add this to her plate as well.

I'm honestly sold on the Pipeline method in theory. I just need to get us to the point where it can be executed properly. YMMV

Pylon

It also depends on the community.  I tried pipeline recruiting open houses three times with between 0 and 2 cadets joining for each.   We did all the important stuff:

• announced the open house with a memo to our cadets, parents, and seniors.
  • requested every cadet bring 2 potential joins
  • offered recruiting incentives to the cadets (gift card basket for cadet who recruited the most, reminder of the recruiting ribbon, etc.)
  • posted all of the relevant info on our website
  • send the event in to the community calendar coordinator at all the local television news stations and community papers
  • sent a press release and media advisory to the community reporters at the various local newspapers and television stations
  • submitted the event in to about a dozen online community calendars
  • printed somewhere around 500-1,000 color flyers announcing the open house
  • sent cadets home with stacks of flyers every meeting for 3 or 4 weeks with instructions to ask for permission and post them at school, and post any extras elsewhere in their travels around town
  • posted a bunch of our own flyers around town in stores and telephone poles and other places
  • ordered packs of recruiting materials well in advance & assembled info packets for prospective cadets, their parents, and prospective senior members
  • put a sidewalk sign out in town painted with the open house invite with date, time & location for about a week
  • put uniformed cadets and signage by the entrance to our parking lot to marshall in cars who might be looking for us.
And still generally got low show-up (or, in one case, no show ups at all).  So I think it depends on the community entirely.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2013, 02:21:41 PM
    <snip>
    [/list]And still generally got low show-up (or, in one case, no show ups at all).  So I think it depends on the community entirely.

This is true.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
    The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

Quote from: Pylon on February 19, 2013, 02:21:41 PM
    It also depends on the community.  I tried pipeline recruiting open houses three times with between 0 and 2 cadets joining for each.   We did all the important stuff:

That is a pretty good amount of effort --
    Were there actual mentions of it in the papers and tv? 
    Did the cadets actually get the flyers posted around the schools? 
    What were the cadets explanations for why they failed to bring potential members? 

I have a hard time believing that this was a "community" problem unless you are in a very small town (10,000 or less) that is never going to have more than a small unit. 

NIN

Mustang & I were squadron commanders around the same time as one another, him in a fairly large metropolitan city (population between 750,000 and a million people), me in almost rural Concord, NH with a county-wide population of about 145,000, around the time I started pipelining.  He had a squadron of around 15 cadets and a handful of seniors. I had upwards of 50 or 60 cadets and a baker's dozen of active seniors.

As he said to me many times "What the hell is there to do out there?"

The implication being, of course, that in a fairly built-up city, you have a lot of competition for people's time: other sports or similar activities, commuting, etc.  Out here in Cow Hampshire, there weren't much ta do between October and April, except tap the trees for maple sap and ride your snow machine. :)

I guess maybe that could account for it.  There are certainly economic factors at play, as well.  Pylon's unit was in a fairly rural area and there are economic disadvantages to overcome among the population.
    Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Walkman

I could also see a situation where the squadron is located in a community that isn't overly friendly or at least knowledgable about the military.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Walkman on February 19, 2013, 09:55:55 PM
    I could also see a situation where the squadron is located in a community that isn't overly friendly or at least knowledgable about the military.

NH is pretty low key when it comes to military affiliation.  It has no active duty bases and Pease ANGB is stuck in one corner of the state.  The folks in NH are generally distrusting of government, etc.  That doesn't mean, though, that they don't see value in a well run youth program that teaches leadership and helps focus on STEM. 

Because of the lack of military presence in the state, there are few JROTC programs, the NSCC is practically non-existent, etc.  The Explorers have a fairly good representation, but per capita, NH does very well in the CAP recruiting and retention side. 
    If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

One of the things I would like CAP to do to help with the pipeline training is to change the minimum age to 11 and completed the 5th grade (or 6th...which ever one 11 years go to)......or 12.

That way we can recruit right out of the schools in May and get them to encampment in the summer.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stillamarine

Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 19, 2013, 10:40:18 PM

NH is pretty low key when it comes to military affiliation.  It has no active duty bases and Pease ANGB is stuck in one corner of the state.  The folks in NH are generally distrusting of government, etc.  That doesn't mean, though, that they don't see value in a well run youth program that teaches leadership and helps focus on STEM. 

Because of the lack of military presence in the state, there are few JROTC programs, the NSCC is practically non-existent, etc.  The Explorers have a fairly good representation, but per capita, NH does very well in the CAP recruiting and retention side.

I remember when they did have sea cadets. When we were home on vacation once I went to a sea cadet meeting with my cousins in my CAP uniform. I believe they lived in Manchester at the time. Or somewhere by there. Most of my moms family is from the Hampton area. Of course I remember when Pease was open too.
    Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
    USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
    tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jimmydeanno

Quote from: stillamarine on February 19, 2013, 11:14:43 PM
    Quote from: jimmydeanno on February 19, 2013, 10:40:18 PM

I remember when they did have sea cadets. When we were home on vacation once I went to a sea cadet meeting with my cousins in my CAP uniform. I believe they lived in Manchester at the time. Or somewhere by there. Most of my moms family is from the Hampton area. Of course I remember when Pease was open too.

Oh, I'm not saying that NSCC doesn't exist in NH, it's just pretty few and far between.  There's a unit in Manchester (Londonderry), Concord, Peterborough and Manchester.  They're small, though.
    If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Woodsy

I see no problem with the concept in general, and a lot of pluses.  That said, if a cadet had been to a few meetings and was ready to join, I wouldn't make him/her wait an extended period of time until the next "class" begins. 

NIN

Quote from: Woodsy on February 19, 2013, 11:31:47 PM
    I see no problem with the concept in general, and a lot of pluses.  That said, if a cadet had been to a few meetings and was ready to join, I wouldn't make him/her wait an extended period of time until the next "class" begins.

We have.   I realize this seems like the absolute complete anthesis of what recruiting is all about (and I've been told, I think here on CAP-Talk, that I should be "thrown out of CAP for denying people membership!"), if someone has to come back, they come back. If they don't come back, then what have you lost?  (It is almost like a filter for the people who are window shopping).

I'm serious about this:  If your unit new member period is the 24rd of March, the 1st of April (open house), the 7th of April and then inprocessing on the 14th,  and Jody shows up on the 14th, he's getting a flyer for October and we'll take his info, but he's not joining that night.

If he doesn't come back in October, then what kind of a member would he have been, really?

This explains it a little bit better: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1708.msg27364#msg27364

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Pump Scout

Nothing of real substance to add here, other than to say thank you for some really good information. This is the essence of what a forum should be - an exchange and offering of ideas to better the community. With all the varied experiences we've all got, taking some ideas from A, add to some ideas from B, and a few things that work locally, we can all have some really good things going on for our cadet programs.

Duke Dillio

So just out of curiousity, have many of you tried advertising in the schools?  I'm curious to find out if the schools are willing to pass on information about CAP to people or if they are against it.  In the past, I have heard that schools are not really into sharing our stuff...

Huey Driver

Quote from: GoneAway on February 23, 2013, 12:36:37 AM
    So just out of curiousity, have many of you tried advertising in the schools?  I'm curious to find out if the schools are willing to pass on information about CAP to people or if they are against it.  In the past, I have heard that schools are not really into sharing our stuff...

Presented in front two schools totaling abour 1,100 students, flyers and posters are still on the wall, came back for back to school night kind of as a reminder. So we had the schools' cooperation.

We got 1 cadet.  8)
    With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...