The Ultimate Question - Cadet Unification.

Started by ItsAllVerbatim, February 26, 2007, 06:18:37 AM

ItsAllVerbatim

If you had the manpower, the money, and the resources to do so:

How would you combine/integrate/streamline all of the US youth cadet services into a singular entity, while maintaining their original missions?

(A sort of, "Department of Defense"- type reorganization similar to the way the War Department and the Navy were merged as one into the DoD in 1947 with the passing of the National Security Act.  This was the same piece of legislation that established the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the CIA, and the National Security Council.)

Also - how would the President's recently announced Civil Defense Corps affect your strategy?

This is a hypothetical question, of course.  But one I am curious to see the answers to.

DNall

I wouldn't. Their differences make them stronger. There's a reason there's more than coke to choose from, cause different tastes attract different people for different reasons. Even the way ACA has done it is very fractured. I would however have a conference every 2-4 years for cadet programs officers from the varrious programs (ACA, JROTC, CAP, etc). Basically NCASE on ly focused on cadet programs insead of AE.

The civil Defense Corps is a totally seperate subject that doesn't relate to cadets in any way.

Eclipse

You can't.

For one thing, many of the youth organizations, such as the BSA,  are more social organizations, than service organizations, and their level of commitment and participation is much lower than the paramilitary ones.

They don't exist for the same reasons, and that's a good thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

Pylon

I think a conference or summit for national cadet & youth organization leaders would be a great opportunity!

Unifying organizations with statedly different purposes, varied opportunities, and diverse goals is probably not so much of a good idea.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

MIKE

Canada did it, kinda.... and some of the other Commonwealth countries may have also. The UK has the CCF which is their version of JROTC.
Mike Johnston

ZigZag911

I'm with DNall on this one, keep them separate & unique, each addresses different interest areas....I like the idea of the 'national conference' periodically.

Mr Spock said it best, and he's been quoted by so many: "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations"!

CAP428

I would not either.  They are all different with different purposes, that are much better fulfilled through separate organizations.

Although:
Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2007, 03:02:02 PM
For one thing, many of the youth organizations, such as the BSA,  are more social organizations, than service organizations, and their level of commitment and participation is much lower than the paramilitary ones.

I don't know where you got that info.  I've been involved with BSA as well for over 6 years, and they are just as service-oriented as CAP is, if not more.  It's different service (i.e. CAP is more emergency-oriented, BSA is more long-term oriented).

As far as level of commitment and participation, I am afraid you will find BSA has  MUCH higher participation than CAP.  That is just simply a fact.

But I still come to the same conclusion:  all youth programs have their purpose and there is no reason to consolidate them.

RiverAux

I think that a conference of the military-oriented youth organizations would be a good thing.  I probably wouldn't invite the Boy Scouts. 

flyguy06

Different organizations dodifferent things and even within those organizations depending onlocation, you will find different levels. I was in JROTC in High Schoolinthe 80's in an inner city school system/ IUtr was just a clas I went to that taught citizenship and leadership. We didnt have after school or weekend programs like othwer JROTC programs did. They didnt try and shove the military down our throats like other groups do. It was a class kids took to get an easy A and some (like myself) fell in love with the military and decided to pursue that a a caereer but the vast majority did not. CAP emphasizes the military and again depending on your location some CAP units emohasize ES and some do not.

SO, do I think there should be a cosolidiaion? No because we all have differnet goals

Lancer

Quote from: ItsAllVerbatim on February 26, 2007, 06:18:37 AM
the President's recently announced Civil Defense Corps...

???

I don't recall hearing anything about this. I certainly didn't find anything when I just went looking.

ItsAllVerbatim

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on February 28, 2007, 02:48:35 PM
Quote from: ItsAllVerbatim on February 26, 2007, 06:18:37 AM
the President's recently announced Civil Defense Corps...

???

I don't recall hearing anything about this. I certainly didn't find anything when I just went looking.

Really?  :D

From the State of the Union speech in January of this year (2007):
QuoteAnd one of the first steps we can take together is to add to the ranks of our military so that the American Armed Forces are ready for all the challenges ahead. (Applause.) Tonight I ask the Congress to authorize an increase in the size of our active Army and Marine Corps by 92,000 in the next five years. (Applause.) A second task we can take on together is to design and establish a volunteer Civilian Reserve Corps. Such a corps would function much like our military reserve. It would ease the burden on the Armed Forces by allowing us to hire civilians with critical skills to serve on missions abroad when America needs them. It would give people across America who do not wear the uniform a chance to serve in the defining struggle of our time. [emphasis added]

I rather like the idea, myself.
And incorporating cadet programs as a "feeder" into that ecosystem would be great. 

CNN commentary
Boston Globe
Washington Post transcript - SoTU
Good  Blog w/ background on it
Wikipedia - 2007 SoTU
NPR: Civilian Reserve Corps

Lancer

Quote from: ItsAllVerbatim on March 01, 2007, 05:34:18 PM
Really?  :D
Yeah, Really. At that time I didn't have all day to go hunting for intel. I'm pretty good at sniffing out what I'm looking for and, since I did not see it right away, I was hoping someone would post a link or two, without the backhanded implication that I'm some kind of InterNewb. (yes I caught your original reply, oh boy. Excuse me for not watching W's State of the Union address.

Quote from: ItsAllVerbatim on March 01, 2007, 05:34:18 PM
I rather like the idea, myself.
And incorporating cadet programs as a "feeder" into that ecosystem would be great.

The cadet programs are already a 'feeder' into adult public service and volunteerism. Sure a partership with such an organization would be a novel idea. I'm surprised there is not still some form of CD in place, or that could have been started soon after 9/11.

Major Lord

I like the idea of a cadet program conference with other org's involved. The American Cadet Alliance is I belive the biggest such group, and it might also include the sea-squids, (er, sea cadets) and a few other groups. There is much to be valued in (some ) of these other groups. I could be wrong, but it seems like most of our hard-core military bound cadets go to any other service but the Air Force when they leave us. ( My son went Air Force after getting his Spaatz award, so  it may be unfair to make a generalization like this) Many cadets yearn for a more aggresive cadet program. There are far too many Uniform and Customes and Courtesy classes and not enough helicopters anfd rifles!

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

jimmydeanno

Quote from: RiverAux on February 26, 2007, 08:17:53 PM
I think that a conference of the military-oriented youth organizations would be a good thing.  I probably wouldn't invite the Boy Scouts. 

Why not?  CAP as an organization/non-profit could learn LOADS from this organization.  Look at their membership compared to ours.

QuoteCubs 243,609
Cub Scouts 834,562
Webelos Scouts 667,153
Boy Scouts 879,789
Varsity Scouts 63,637
Venturers 249,948

Cub Scout leaders 493,165
Boy Scout leaders 520,591
Varsity Scout leaders 23,380
Venturing leaders 63,821
Council Scouters 45,173

Cub Scout packs 51,469
Boy Scout troops 42,811
Varsity Scout teams 8,185
Venturing crews 20,117

2,938,698 + 1,146,130= 4,084,828

VS.

QuoteCAP 56,000

Or how about their annual funding from membership dues...

QuoteCAP aproximate (national)membership dues collected anually: 56,000 * $30 = $1,680,000

VS.

QuoteBSA aproximate membership dues collected anually: 4,084,828 * $10.00 = $40,848,280

Then look at their assets...camps, etc. 

Both organizations are great youth leadership opportunities.  There are things they do that CAP cadets wish they did more of, and I'm sure the BSA would like to do some of the things we do.

I think it would be an "enlightening" experience for CAP leadership to talk to the leadership of the BSA.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mikeylikey

If the Boy Scouts are making so much money......where is it all going?  What kind of HUGE costs are they paying for.  The once a year Camp?  On top of that....If I am not mistaken, don't they also receive grants from the FED?  I was never a boy Scout, nor know of their inner workings.  Perhaps a current or former member can help me out!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

I wouldn't invite the Boy Scouts because the idea was to have military-focused organizations meet.  The Boy Scouts just don't qualify.  Yes, there are numerous areas of overlap where we could learn something though.