EFJohnson 5300 Programming

Started by kd8gua, November 15, 2012, 03:17:26 PM

wuzafuzz

Quote from: kratclif on November 19, 2012, 09:46:27 PM
Quote from: kratclif on November 15, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
I am going through the same thing: a 5300 radio with an aftermarket programming cable and the correct PCC version. Same error you get, even on XP with a real COM port. Next I tried with a "real" EFJ programming RIB. Still no go.

However, my Wing DC found out that "version 1" radios may need a different EFJ RIB. The newer RIB part number ends with 001 while the older model that is required for V1 radios end with 000. At least I think that's what I was told.

I'll be trying it tonight with borrowed equipment and will let you know.

Kevin

Success! I was finally able to read/write my version 1 radio. Here's the combination of hardware/software I had to use:

Windows XP (32-bit)
Pentium 4 PC with Hyper-threading disabled in BIOS*
EFJ RIB 023-5300-000
Real serial port (not USB) with speed in PCC set to 9600
PCC 1.28.08

* Prior to disabling Hyperthreading I could read the Version information but not the codeplug. Read somewhere that the -000 RIB didn't support dual-core processors, and indeed the hyperthreading setting fixed it! The -001 RIB wouldn't read the version information or the codeplug from this radio.

The rfguys cable still doesn't work for me using  this configuration and this radio.

Hopefully the above helps someone.

Folks complain about Motorola programming software all the time, but at least in my experience it works consistently and the documentation is good!

Kevin
Woohoo!  It's nice to hear some success stories.  Thanks for sharing the info about hyperthreading.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

kd8gua

I am meeting a fellow CAP member this week to attempt to try and program this radio with his equipment. If this doesn't work, I'm selling this radio!
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

cpyahoo

Can't we just go with old PRC-77s?  I know how to work one of those!

Al Sayre

I had a lot of problems trying to use xp even with an EFJ cable and no luck at all if i used a usb-serial converter.  I finally flogged an old windows 95 laptop back to life that has a true serial port.  Works like a champ...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ee1993

Quote from: Al Sayre on November 23, 2012, 04:08:44 PM
I had a lot of problems trying to use xp even with an EFJ cable and no luck at all if i used a usb-serial converter.  I finally flogged an old windows 95 laptop back to life that has a true serial port.  Works like a champ...

I did the same using an old laptop with a real serial port, installed Win95 and it programmed my 5300.  I have a 7 year old Lenovo Think Pad laptop with WinXP with no serial ports that I use with a USB to serial adapter to program the 5100 handhelds; it would not program the 5300.  I added a PCMCIA serial adapter to the free PCMCIA slot and it enumerated two serial ports, COM6 and COM7.  COM7 worked for both the 5300 and 5100.  PCC V 1.28.0.8 Setting had to be 19200 baud for the 5300 and Send/Get delay set to 10 (Tools, Preferences.., Other).  Works great!  The retired CAP member who sold me the 5300 has another for sale if anyone is interested.

Bob Morris

KL7EV

There are a several factors that effect PC COnfig's ability to program radios.

First of all, PC Config does not work well with multi-processor CPU's.

That is why the old legacy machines work so well. HI!  HOWEVER, . . .  there is a work around!

You can get PC Config to work under Windows 7 (or any other operating system with a multi-core processor) by installing PC Config in a VM Ware protected work space.  You can use VM Player, or the more robust VM Workstation.

One other factor to be aware of, the older radios with that require PC Config 1.30.2 will not work with the USB programming cable.

The USB Programming cable should work find for radios with the 4.x firmware.  I wish I had the "Cheat Sheet" from EF Johnson, because there are a number of OTHER issues.

The biggest issue for programming problems, lies with the fact that PC Config does not work well with a Multi-Core processor.  The above suggested fix should resolve MOST (if not all) of your problems.     :clap:

- Greg -

KL7EV

JeffDG

Quote from: KL7EV on May 15, 2014, 07:29:23 PM
You can get PC Config to work under Windows 7 (or any other operating system with a multi-core processor) by installing PC Config in a VM Ware protected work space.  You can use VM Player, or the more robust VM Workstation.

That's an absolutely FANTASTIC idea!  Both because VMWare works well, but also because you can take a VM and copy it to other PCs very easily...so if someone gets everything set up, they can share that VM with others who might want to do this.

Great idea!

ee1993

KL7EV,

Do you have any thought on why PCC 1.30 will not work with a USB adapter to program a 3117 mobile?  I have no problems programming even the older version 1 5113 portables with Win 7 and a USB adapter but I need to use an XP laptop with a PC-MCIA serial card adapter and the EFJ RIB box to program the version 2 mobiles.

W0EG

SarDragon

The best thing we've come up with here, simply put, is that the computer talks too fast for the radio. I know, the baud rate is set at 9600, or 19,200, but something is getting overwhelmed in the communication process.

I have to run two different versions of PCConfigure, and use two different code plug files to take care of the different radios in my group. I do it all on an olde XP laptop, with a straight serial cable, and everything works fine.

As soon as I can find an XP disc with a good license code, I'm going to load it up on VM Player on my Win 7 laptop, and see what I can do using the USB adapter.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

Can't speak for EFJ hardware, haven't tried it yet, but with my Motorola XTS-3000, a RIBless cable didn't work for me, neither did a USB to serial cable. I ended up ordering a serial card off eBay for like $3, then bought an actual RIB and standard programming cable, and installed a 32-bit XP partition to run the programming software.

I've tried running it on XP virtual machines but it doesn't work, gets lost in the crossover to Windows 7 64-bit. A roundabout approach but still the best, it ensures that all the timings are accurate and the radio is read and written correctly. The more you can reduce timing errors, the less your chance of bricking the radio.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN