EFJohnson 5300 Programming

Started by kd8gua, November 15, 2012, 03:17:26 PM

kd8gua

I own a Johnson 5300 that I plan to use for amateur and CAP use. I am having one heck of a time programming it however. I own the aftermarket programming cable available on a popular auction site.

I have tried two different 5300s (mine and a friends') on a total of 5 different PCs, using COM ports, and USB to Serial Converters, and I've even used upwards of 5 different versions of PCConfigure software. Every time I go to program this radio, to read or write, I receive a "Communication error during upload/download." message.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, what did you do to remedy this? Thanks!
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

arajca

Does the serial number start 5317MD? If so, that could be your problem. The first generation ("MD" series) are nototiously fussy about the programming cable. I've had a set up work once, then not work again with the MD radios. Same setup, same settngs, same bloody radio!

kratclif

I am going through the same thing: a 5300 radio with an aftermarket programming cable and the correct PCC version. Same error you get, even on XP with a real COM port. Next I tried with a "real" EFJ programming RIB. Still no go.

However, my Wing DC found out that "version 1" radios may need a different EFJ RIB. The newer RIB part number ends with 001 while the older model that is required for V1 radios end with 000. At least I think that's what I was told.

I'll be trying it tonight with borrowed equipment and will let you know.

Kevin
Maj Kevin Ratcliff, CAP

arajca

The MD series are the version 1 radios. And they do need the older RIB.

wuzafuzz

The older radios require a different RIB and are fussier about serial port settings.  If I recall correctly I have to set the port to run slower when programming the older radios.

I bought a programming cable from the RF Guys using squadron money.  That thing has been like magic on older radios, including some I couldn't talk to with ANY EF Johnson cable.  Of course your mileage may vary depending on the specific equipment you have.

http://www.rfguys.com/product/ef-johnson-5300-53sl-ascend-es-radio-programming-cable

It also helps to use older computers, only program when the moon is full, and make sure you hold your tongue just right.  I've heard rumor of "programming ritual dances" but have not actually seen one performed.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on November 15, 2012, 11:06:28 PM
It also helps to use older computers, only program when the moon is full, and make sure you hold your tongue just right.  I've heard rumor of "programming ritual dances" but have not actually seen one performed.
You forgot to mention the uttering the magic words repeatedly in a loud voice.  >:D

SarDragon

I was involved in the CAWG programming evolution a while back, and the biggest problem we had was with baud rate. Some would work only at 19,200, and others would work only at 9,600. Other than that everything worked great.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kd8gua

This is a 5326 high power unit that I plan to lower the power output on and refund to 136-174 (the high power ones only do 146-174). This unit has a 53SL control head, so I don't know if the mismatch would cause such an error.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

SarDragon

Have never messed with one of those.

Will the software recognize the radio at all? Which version are you using? Older versions sometimes will not recognize newer radios.

Have you tried changing the baud rate?

No other suggestions off the top of my head.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

kd8gua

No version of software will read this radio. The software comes up with the same error message as if the radio is not connected whatsoever. This radio has firmware version 4.14.5, which is supposed to use PCConfigure 2.10.2. The previous owner claims this radio was last programmed with 2.12.6. I have tried versions 2.4.6, 2.10.2, 2.12.6, 2.12.7, and 2.16.3. The software gives the error "Communication error during upload."

I've tried changing baud rates, COM port address, and in the event of USB to serial converters even changing the USB ports and all.

What a mess! Whichever engineer at EFJ came up with this inordinate amount of software that doesn't all communicate must enjoy causing people to go bald!

Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer

Ohio Wing HQ

SarDragon

Have you tried on a computer with a real serial port? I have had poor success with USB serial port adapters on the EFJs.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

Are you using a RIB or RIB-less cable (if they even exist for EFJs). When I programmed my Motorola some time back I remember seeing lots of folks saying the RIB-less cables are unreliable (I got on fine but YMMV).

I'm out of ideas. >:D

SarDragon

I've never seen a RIB-less cable for the EFJs. (I do have limited exposure opportunities, though.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

From a non-comm person, why does it seem like programming radios is far more difficult than anything else?  Seriously, why isn't it just plugging it in and updating it like an i-pod?  Is this a case of a small market that hasn't reached the "ease of use" folks yet?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

arajca

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 18, 2012, 06:18:21 AM
From a non-comm person, why does it seem like programming radios is far more difficult than anything else?  Seriously, why isn't it just plugging it in and updating it like an i-pod?  Is this a case of a small market that hasn't reached the "ease of use" folks yet?
Given that some manufacturers (Big M, EFJ) have just recently discovered DOS is not a common operating system, I don't know if they've even considered ease-of-use, although Motorola and EFJ have some of the most time intensive programs - each channel requires a window refresh. Icom has figured some of this out. Their software uses a spreadsheet format to enter the info, and they have good USB cables available.

When everything is set correctly, it is simple. Start program, connect radio, turn on radio, upload code plug, turn radio off and back on, done. Two, maybe three minutes.

Brad

What they need to do is allow the field-programing capability that the version 6 portables have for the mobile units. Yes, I know, frequency issues. Or at least ship them with that option enabled by default then add a menu option to "Finalize" or whatnot, which when you're done it removes the ability to field-program, that way the curious Cadet Whiz Kid can't go digging around in the radio and finding all our frequencies to share with his facebook friends.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

wuzafuzz

The so-called RIB-less cables merely include the necessary circuit inside the cable.  They aren't truly RIB-less.  See my earlier post for an example.

Programming "professional grade" EFJ and Motorola radios is a consistent headache.  Iffy communications between computer and radio, bizarre "gotchas" in software, and wildly changing methods across their product line all conspire to drive radio techs into fits of frustration. 

In contrast, my recent Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu ham radios have been drop dead simple to program by computer.

In spite of the programming drama, I remain a fan of Motorola equipment and own several samples.

wuzafuzz

Quote from: kd8gua on November 18, 2012, 04:07:25 AM
No version of software will read this radio. The software comes up with the same error message as if the radio is not connected whatsoever. This radio has firmware version 4.14.5, which is supposed to use PCConfigure 2.10.2. The previous owner claims this radio was last programmed with 2.12.6. I have tried versions 2.4.6, 2.10.2, 2.12.6, 2.12.7, and 2.16.3. The software gives the error "Communication error during upload."

I've tried changing baud rates, COM port address, and in the event of USB to serial converters even changing the USB ports and all.

What a mess! Whichever engineer at EFJ came up with this inordinate amount of software that doesn't all communicate must enjoy causing people to go bald!
I suspect you are still experiencing issues with an incompatible RIB or serial port settings.

As others have noted, serial to USB adapters are notoriously unreliable...regardless of settings.  I have had better success with older USB 1.0 adapters, but still dicey.  Native serial ports remain the gold standard.  Even then, experimenting with serial port settings is often necessary.  Typically I adjust the baud rate in the EFJ software AND match that setting in Device Manager.  Sometimes I have adjusted other serial port settings as suggested by people at Batboard.  That is a Motorola focused forum, but discussions sometimes cover other brands.

Still, some computers work better for this than others.  I don't know why that is, different chipsets maybe?  I have seen two computers, apparently identical, behave differently when programming radios.

One final thought, stay away from 64 bit versions of Windows.  You need 32 bit Windows to talk to the EFJ radios.  The software will run on 64 bit, but you cannot talk to the hardware.  At least that has been my experience...so far.

arajca

Quote from: wuzafuzz on November 18, 2012, 02:08:49 PM
One final thought, stay away from 64 bit versions of Windows.  You need 32 bit Windows to talk to the EFJ radios.  The software will run on 64 bit, but you cannot talk to the hardware.  At least that has been my experience...so far.
Actually, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the only problems I've had are not computer/OS dependent.

kratclif

Quote from: kratclif on November 15, 2012, 06:16:27 PM
I am going through the same thing: a 5300 radio with an aftermarket programming cable and the correct PCC version. Same error you get, even on XP with a real COM port. Next I tried with a "real" EFJ programming RIB. Still no go.

However, my Wing DC found out that "version 1" radios may need a different EFJ RIB. The newer RIB part number ends with 001 while the older model that is required for V1 radios end with 000. At least I think that's what I was told.

I'll be trying it tonight with borrowed equipment and will let you know.

Kevin

Success! I was finally able to read/write my version 1 radio. Here's the combination of hardware/software I had to use:

Windows XP (32-bit)
Pentium 4 PC with Hyper-threading disabled in BIOS*
EFJ RIB 023-5300-000
Real serial port (not USB) with speed in PCC set to 9600
PCC 1.28.08

* Prior to disabling Hyperthreading I could read the Version information but not the codeplug. Read somewhere that the -000 RIB didn't support dual-core processors, and indeed the hyperthreading setting fixed it! The -001 RIB wouldn't read the version information or the codeplug from this radio.

The rfguys cable still doesn't work for me using  this configuration and this radio.

Hopefully the above helps someone.

Folks complain about Motorola programming software all the time, but at least in my experience it works consistently and the documentation is good!

Kevin
Maj Kevin Ratcliff, CAP