OBC ends Polo Debate

Started by Майор Хаткевич, October 04, 2012, 02:21:32 AM

Майор Хаткевич

One of the questions I just ran into:

The golf shirt combination:

A)  is an equivalent to the service dress uniform.
  B)  can be worn when flying in CAP aircraft.
  C)  is worn with grade.
  D)  is a salutable uniform.
Only one answer is correct.

abdsp51

Eclipse

Actually there are three correct answers there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

What are they? I only see two.

B and D

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

A is correct according to regulations, despite the fact that everyone's mirror disagrees.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

No, not every one disagrees with A. With what they disagree is when members state that it is a required uniform.

Required uniforms are either the Blue or the Grey/White.

Polo is another uniform but not equivalent to Blues or Greys/White.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Майор Хаткевич

It is NOT equivalent to SERVICE Dress
It does NOT require a Salute.

Obviously Grade is not worn.

ßτε

It can be considered equivalent to the service uniform, not the service dress uniform.

BuckeyeDEJ

You can wear it while flying, so B.

Grade is not worn on the LSU. It's too casual to be equivalent to service dress ("Class A"). And since grade isn't worn, it's not salutable.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

39-1 indicates it >is< equivalent to service dress. I also didn't say what everyone disagrees with,
I said the mirror disagrees.  The OBC is, presumably, a test based on the actual regulations.
We just had this argument where people cited that 39-1 considers the golf shirt equivalent to service dress.

It doesn't say requires a salute, it says "salutable", which it is, and 151 agrees.  You do not need to be wearing grade to get saluted.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2012, 04:23:09 AM
39-1 indicates it >is< equivalent to service dress. I also didn't say what everyone disagrees with,
I said the mirror disagrees.  The OBC is, presumably, a test based on the actual regulations.
We just had this argument where people cited that 39-1 considers the golf shirt equivalent to service dress.

It doesn't say requires a salute, it says "salutable", which it is, and 151 agrees.  You do not need to be wearing grade to get saluted.

No, but if you're not recognized by someone, you can't expect them to know you're a captain and salute accordingly. Salutes can't be rendered in the LSU if the subordinate doesn't recognize the LSU wearer as a superior. Heck, you can say the same thing for recognizing a superior when the superior is in civvies. Salutes are automatic in the Air Force and white-and-gray uniforms, obviously....

If only one response is true, I'd go with the flight answer. That much, we definitely know -- you can wear it to fly. The service dress uniform is the military equivalent of the business suit; you wouldn't wear a polo shirt to a funeral, hence the notion the LSU isn't equal to service dress.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

tsrup

Wrong Eclipse.

Here's the table you are citing

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 Table 4-8
Table 4-8.  CAP Distinctive Uniform Equivalents to USAF-Style Uniform

CAP Distinctive Uniform                                      USAF-Style Uniform Equal
1 Utility Uniform/Field Uniform                              Battle Dress Uniform (BDU)
2 Blazer Uniform                                                   Service Dress Uniform
3 Blazer Semiformal Uniform (without                    Mess Dress (Senior Members),  Semiformal (Cadets) or Civilian Formal Wear
   nameplate) Appropriate civilian attire is
   recommended for females.
4 Aviator Shirt with Epaulets                                  AF-style light blue shirt
5 Knit Shirts                                                                AF-style light blue shirt (unless otherwise specified)
6 Blue Flight Suit                                                   Green Flight Suit
7 Blue Flight Jacket                                                Green Flight Jacket

As you can see it has been equated to the Light-blue shirt which is the service uniform, not the service dress.

Still wrong, I would have put it in the utility category, as that seems to me to be it's only function.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Brad

It does require a salute if the saluting (junior) party is in uniform. The burden is on them to salute, not on the member wearing the golf shirt. Just because they're not in uniform doesn't mean that they are no longer your Squadron Commander. You salute the rank they have earned, not the uniform or the lack thereof. I'm wanting to say this concept is mentioned somewhere in CAP publications, but I can't seem to find it off hand. I do know it is taught in the real military though. You salute a senior officer upon recognition. That is why you'll see gate sentries salute an officer in civvies after ID recognition.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Private Investigator

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on October 04, 2012, 03:51:55 AM

Yes and no. If you are flying as part of the CAP "flying club" yes. If you are on an actual mission, no. 

BillB

Where does it say you can't wear the polo flying on missions?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

jeders

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 04, 2012, 07:57:34 AM

Yes and no. If you are flying as part of the CAP "flying club" yes. If you are on an actual mission, no.

Oh really you say. So the fact that it is required to wear on certain actual missions means nothing I guess.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

EMT-83

Then I suppose I've got a couple of ribbons to hand back.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on October 04, 2012, 06:14:10 AM

Wrong Eclipse.

Here's the table you are citing

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 Table 4-8
Table 4-8.  CAP Distinctive Uniform Equivalents to USAF-Style Uniform

CAP Distinctive Uniform                                      USAF-Style Uniform Equal
1 Utility Uniform/Field Uniform                              Battle Dress Uniform (BDU)
2 Blazer Uniform                                                   Service Dress Uniform
3 Blazer Semiformal Uniform (without                    Mess Dress (Senior Members),  Semiformal (Cadets) or Civilian Formal Wear
   nameplate) Appropriate civilian attire is
   recommended for females.
4 Aviator Shirt with Epaulets                                  AF-style light blue shirt
5 Knit Shirts                                                                AF-style light blue shirt (unless otherwise specified)
6 Blue Flight Suit                                                   Green Flight Suit
7 Blue Flight Jacket                                                Green Flight Jacket

As you can see it has been equated to the Light-blue shirt which is the service uniform, not the service dress.

Still wrong, I would have put it in the utility category, as that seems to me to be it's only function.

In most people's minds' service uniform and service dress are one in the same.  Clearly reality disagrees that a golf hirt is in any way equivalent to what is, in either case, a dress uniform, but whatever. The blazer isn't remotely equivalent to service dress either.

That still leaves at least two correct answers.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Brad on October 04, 2012, 06:45:48 AM
It does require a salute if the saluting (junior) party is in uniform. The burden is on them to salute, not on the member wearing the golf shirt. Just because they're not in uniform doesn't mean that they are no longer your Squadron Commander. You salute the rank they have earned, not the uniform or the lack thereof. I'm wanting to say this concept is mentioned somewhere in CAP publications, but I can't seem to find it off hand. I do know it is taught in the real military though. You salute a senior officer upon recognition. That is why you'll see gate sentries salute an officer in civvies after ID recognition.
Since the polo does not carry rank.......a salute is not required.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

While they don't have grade insignia, they frequently have it spelled out over the pocket.  Something like LtCol Joe Blow just below the pilot wings...  So based on the fact that you would recognize the rank if you can read, it would be a salutable uniform, so the correct answer would be B,C, or D...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Camas

Quote from: lordmonar on October 04, 2012, 02:59:50 PM
Since the polo does not carry rank.......a salute is not required.

If you're speaking of the senior officer wouldn't a junior officer in a military-style uniform still salute a senior in a golf-shirt uniform? Just asking.

From CAPP151 Page 6 - - - "When in uniform salute officers upon recognition, regardless of what the officer is wearing."

jeders

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 04, 2012, 04:45:56 PM
While they don't have grade insignia, they frequently have it spelled out over the pocket.  Something like LtCol Joe Blow just below the pilot wings...  So based on the fact that you would recognize the rank if you can read, it would be a salutable uniform, so the correct answer would be B,C, or D...

I have never seen rank on the polo. The customization field on Vanguard's website is for position/insignia and first and last name, no rank.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

I have never seen rank on the polo. The customization field on Vanguard's website is for position/insignia and first and last name, no rank.
+1

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on October 04, 2012, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:13:01 PM

+1

+2.

Unless I know the wearer personally, I have no idea if the member wearing the polo shirt is an SMWOG or Colonel.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Al Sayre

Not everyone has purchased them from Vanguard or had them customized there.  There used to be other vendors...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

jeders

Quote from: Al Sayre on October 04, 2012, 05:44:21 PM
Not everyone has purchased them from Vanguard or had them customized there.  There used to be other vendors...

That doesn't change the rules though.

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, pg 76NOTES: There are three knit shirts authorized for wear for men and women. They are:
1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal on the right breast and embroidered name and
aeronautical rating or specialty badge on the left breast.
2. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered seal on the right breast, without the name or rating on left
breast.
3. Dark blue knit shirt with the CAP seal screen-printed in white lettering on left breast.

You will notice that rank is not listed as something which goes on the golf shirt. In other words, if they have rank on the shirt in any way, they are doing it wrong.

Cool Mace

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:54:20 PM

Quote from: CAPM 39-1, pg 76NOTES: There are three knit shirts authorized for wear for men and women. They are:
1. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered CAP seal on the right breast and embroidered name and
2. Dark blue knit shirt with embroidered seal on the right breast, without the name or rating on left
breast.
3. Dark blue knit shirt with the CAP seal screen-printed in white lettering on left breast.

You will notice that rank is not listed as something which goes on the golf shirt. In other words, if they have rank on the shirt in any way, they are doing it wrong.

I may be mistaken. But I believe that came out a little later when someone tried to get a polo on their own, and send it to Vanguard (or something along those lines) to save money.

I know members who have rank and different color buttons then what is now prescribed.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

bflynn

I believe all that Eclipse is saying is that someone can be saluted in anything.  I could be wearing a bathing suit, but if someone knows me, then what I'm wearing can be saluted. 

Rather than disagree, perhaps we should try for understanding.

I think technically, you salute the person, never the uniform but that's an entirely different topic.  No uniform is salutable.

PHall

Quote from: Cool Mace on October 04, 2012, 06:01:20 PM
Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 05:54:20 PM

breast.

I may be mistaken. But I believe that came out a little later when someone tried to get a polo on their own, and send it to Vanguard (or something along those lines) to save money.

I know members who have rank and different color buttons then what is now prescribed.

I believe you're thinking of the folks who brought polo shirts in sizes that Vanguard does not stock and who sent them to Vanguard to the the embroidery applied.
Vanguard has said in the past that they will do the embroidery on a shirt you supply if they don't stock your size.

Private Investigator

Quote from: BillB on October 04, 2012, 09:18:38 AM

I was under the ideal you had to wear nomex flight suit and leather boots on missions.

But I guess if I get a call at midnight for an actual mission launch at dawn I can show up in a polo shirt, shorts and deck shoes. Thanks Bill I guess I have been doing it wrong.

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:23:30 AM

I was under the ideal you had to wear nomex flight suit and leather boots on missions.

Not by any national regulations.  Some wings have or had supplements to that effect.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Only in one state that I'm aware of.

Private Investigator

Quote from: jeders on October 04, 2012, 01:00:35 PM

Oh really you say. So the fact that it is required to wear on certain actual missions means nothing I guess.

I stand corrected for the 5% who do CD missions. But on a national level the majority of missions is SAR.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JeffDG on October 08, 2012, 02:33:44 AM

Jeff, all the press releases I see nationally it appears everyone has nomex flight suits on.

JeffDG

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:43:47 AM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 08, 2012, 02:33:44 AM

Jeff, all the press releases I see nationally it appears everyone has nomex flight suits on.
Here's one from the AOPA article on the Gulf Oil response:

Only 2 of 3 in polos.

umpirecali

Quote from: bflynn on October 07, 2012, 09:52:15 AM
I believe all that Eclipse is saying is that someone can be saluted in anything.  I could be wearing a bathing suit, but if someone knows me, then what I'm wearing can be saluted. 

Rather than disagree, perhaps we should try for understanding.

I think technically, you salute the person, never the uniform but that's an entirely different topic.  No uniform is salutable.

Right, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander
Deputy Commander for Cadets

Eclipse

Quote from: umpirecali on October 08, 2012, 02:58:25 AMRight, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"

Neither would be correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:40:27 AM
I stand corrected for the 5% who do CD missions. But on a national level the majority of missions is SAR.

Actually, on a national level most of the missions are probably not "SAR", they are proficiency flying and O-rides.
SAR probably accounts for about 1/2 the flying.

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:43:47 AM

I'd say it's maybe 50/50, but it's not by a long shot "most".

Quote from: Private Investigator on October 08, 2012, 02:23:30 AMBut I guess if I get a call at midnight for an actual mission launch at dawn I can show up in a polo shirt, shorts and deck shoes. Thanks Bill I guess I have been doing it wrong.

What does that even mean?  The requirement, absent a localized supplement, is that you be in an approved uniform - that could literally be anything
from the golf shirt to mess dress.

There is no requirement or prescription for a specific uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

umpirecali

Quote from: Eclipse on October 08, 2012, 03:01:58 AM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 08, 2012, 02:58:25 AMRight, I am also taking the OBC right now and am in block 2. It said that if you see a senior officer that you should salute them even if they are in civvies. I think the question in the OP meant to say "you not salute while wearing the polo uniform" instead of "is not a saluteable uniform"

Neither would be correct.

Explain yourself...

I made two points
A) you should salute senior grades that are not in uniform
B) you do not salute while wearing polo uniform

Both of those statements are correct
Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 11:45:34 AM

Incorrect.

que?

There's no prohibition regarding saluting in the golf shirt, and 151 says you should.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:07:57 PM
Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 02:29:46 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 12:39:51 PM
Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 11:45:34 AM

Incorrect.

que?

There's no prohibition regarding saluting in the golf shirt, and 151 says you should.

CAPP 151 expects that all Senior Member render proper customs and courtesies in all uniforms except the polo and blazer.

Also when wearing the polo and a cadet/junior-officer salutes out of recognition, then you should verbally acknowledge the salute, not salute back.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Eclipse

You're reading that incorrectly.

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than
themselves by participating in these rich traditions.

"Expect", in this context, equals required, meaning you have to.  The sentence following does not prohibit saluting, it indicates that
it should be handled as you would any civilian-style dress, meaning it is perfectly acceptable.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:19:47 PM

Senior Members. For senior members, the rendering of customs and courtesies is expected when wearing a military-style uniform (all
uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than

"Expect", in this context, equals required, meaning you have to.  The sentence following does not prohibit saluting, it indicates that
it should be handled as you would any civilian-style dress, meaning it is perfectly acceptable.

Right, but not required, which is my point. It's NOT on the same footing as the AF/ G&Ws.

You can salute/acknowledge someone in a Polo, but you don't have to.

Eclipse

Fair enough - you always have to acknowledge a superior, saluting or otherwise.

The question and verbiage was whether the golf shirt was "salutable".  It is.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:23:47 PM

You can salute/acknowledge someone in a Polo, but you don't have to.

Are you saying:

You can salute/acknowledge someone who is wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

You can salute/acknowledge someone when you are wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

Which did you mean? Because one is correct, and the other isn't.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 03:29:45 PM

You can salute/acknowledge someone who is wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

You can salute/acknowledge someone when you are wearing a Polo, but you don't have to.

Which did you mean? Because one is correct, and the other isn't.

Both are correct, but not required. If I see the Group commander in BDUs and I'm wearing a polo (I don't own one), I will salute BUT I could also just verbally greet them. On the other hand, if he is wearing the polo, I will still probably pop a salute, but I know I don't have to, and he would have no reason to bust my chops for it.

Eclipse

They are both 100% correct.

The second one is actually 110% correct if the other member is a superior.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 09, 2012, 03:19:47 PM

This follows under the rule of "it is always appropriate to salue even if it is not required"

But in common usage.....we would say "you don't salute officers wearing polo shirts and you don't salute in polo shirts".

So bottom line.......you should not be chewing people out for failing to salute a SM wearing polo or blaze combos......nor should you be chewing anyone out for rendering honors to those people or those wearing those combinations who render honors.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on October 09, 2012, 03:39:10 PMSo bottom line.......you should not be chewing people out for failing to salute a SM wearing polo or blaze combos......nor should you be chewing anyone out for rendering honors to those people or those wearing those combinations who render honors.

Agreed.

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

I should have said "more correct"..

But it is reasonable to say that if you are in a military style uniform and you encounter a superior officer (whom you recognize to be so) that is wearing the polo/blazer/board shorts & T-shirt, it would not be optional to salute them, but rather it would be required.

Paramedic
hang-around.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: tsrup on October 09, 2012, 03:53:52 PM

But it is reasonable to say that if you are in a military style uniform and you encounter a superior officer (whom you recognize to be so) that is wearing the polo/blazer/board shorts & T-shirt, it would not be optional to salute them, but rather it would be required.

Why? You greet them, show them respect, but you do not Salute them if they are wearing their NIN shirt or something along those lines. You CAN salute, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them without one.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:55:19 PM

Why? You greet them, show them respect, but you do not Salute them if they are wearing their NIN shirt or something along those lines. You CAN salute, but there's nothing wrong with acknowledging them without one.
+1  this is what my 22 years in the AD USAF taught me.

tsrup

Quote from: lordmonar on October 09, 2012, 04:23:01 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on October 09, 2012, 03:55:19 PM

+1  this is what my 22 years in the AD USAF taught me.

Then this is an instance where practice doesn't match procedure. 

Quote from:  CAPP 151
When in uniform, salute officers upon recognition, regardless of
what the officer is wearing. For example, uniformed cadets salute their
squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In
such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge
the salute, but not return it.

Paramedic
hang-around.

lordmonar

Sapper168

Funny thing is i keep rereading this and keep coming back to this same thing.....  No where in this part of the regulation does it say the person in a military style uniform DOESN'T have to render C&C to someone not in a military style uniform aka polo shirt or blazer uniforms.  I only read that if a person is wearing the polo shirt they don't have to render C&C but are encouraged to.

Where is it actually written and spelled out in the regs that you DO NOT salute someone in a Polo/golf/knit shirt or blazer uniform?
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

Why can't we just go back to the olde rule - no hat, no salute. Problem solved.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2012, 05:39:20 PM

Which would bring us back to the fact that there is no headgear (other than an undefined "CAP baseball hat" ::)) for the G/W.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JeffDG

Quote from: CyBorg on October 09, 2012, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 09, 2012, 05:39:20 PM

Which would bring us back to the fact that there is no headgear (other than an undefined "CAP baseball hat" ::)) for the G/W.
Or the absurdity between the Blue Flight suit (has headgear) vs. the Blue Utility (indistinguishable except for the lack of Nomex) does not.

umpirecali

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on October 09, 2012, 05:37:34 PM

Funny thing is i keep rereading this and keep coming back to this same thing.....  No where in this part of the regulation does it say the person in a military style uniform DOESN'T have to render C&C to someone not in a military style uniform aka polo shirt or blazer uniforms.  I only read that if a person is wearing the polo shirt they don't have to render C&C but are encouraged to.

Where is it actually written and spelled out in the regs that you DO NOT salute someone in a Polo/golf/knit shirt or blazer uniform?

It doesn't.  In fact, the opposite.  I have read several pieces of CAP literature that says to render C&C even when they are in civilian attire.  Since this thread is about OBC, I will quote that:

SALUTING GUIDELINES

• When outdoors and in uniform, salute military officers and other CAP officers higher in rank. NOTE: Military members DO NOT have to salute CAP members, regardless of rank.
  • Who salutes first if both are of the same grade? It is not necessary to salute but it is encouraged as a sign of mutual respect and a courtesy (and keeps you in the habit.)
  • The junior person initiates the salute a fair distance from the senior person, so that the senior has time to return the salute.
    Indoors, salute officers only when formally reporting (such as when called forward to receive an award). Offer a greeting such as, "Good morning, ma'am," when exchanging salutes.
  • When in formation, do not salute unless commanded to present arms. The commander salutes for the unit if an officer approaches.
  • When in uniform, salute senior officers upon recognition. While not required, it's nice if you also do so if the senior officer isn't in uniform, just as a sign of respect. For example, uniformed cadets salute their squadron commander even if that commander is in civilian attire. In such instances, the commander typically would verbally acknowledge the salute, but not return it.
  • On a military installation, salute international officers as a sign of goodwill.

Capt Chris Cali, CAP
Deputy Commander

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: JeffDG on October 09, 2012, 06:57:42 PM
Or the absurdity between the Blue Flight suit (has headgear) vs. the Blue Utility (indistinguishable except for the lack of Nomex) does not.

Even more absurd for a multitude of reasons.

There's no way to tell unless you demand to see the manufacturer's tag, or if it's recognisably mediocre-quality (like the overpriced bag VG sells).

As well, it's a "CAP-specific" uniform, but yet it's OK to wear the flight cap with it (what happened to "mixing civilian with military?")!  Of course, I saw people wearing the flight cap with the Smurf suit years ago.

I have a SAC missileer's blue bag, which is military issue, though it's not NOMEX, and it's identical in cut to the NOMEX bag.

I don't know of anyone who has (yet) been called on wearing the blue flight cap with the non-NOMEX bag.

Quote from: umpirecali on October 09, 2012, 09:00:50 PM
On a military installation, salute international officers as a sign of goodwill.

My first squadron CC spent a fair bit of time at Maxwell.  He said "I used to see Brits, French, Germans, Canadians, Aussies, you name it, and I saluted them all to be on the safe side.  I might have been saluting a Corporal, but it's never improper to salute."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Dracosbane

uniform combinations except the polo shirt and blazer
). Regardless, CAP encourages all members to take part in something larger than

Forgive me for interjecting here, but I see an argument over this passage as written as being confusing as to whether or not the blazer or polo shirt should be saluted/should salute.

People are seeing the phrase "except the polo shirt and blazer" as to be excluded from the proprieties of saluting when in fact the proper grammatical usage of the phrase is actually modifying "military-style uniform" and not the word "expected" in the sentence. 

What the phrase emboldened above actually is making sure that they are distinguishing the polo and blazer uniforms from the military style, i.e. G/Ws, BBDUs, blue flight suits, and all AF styles.  The polo and blazer uniforms are uniforms, they are just not military style.

By the rest of the statement, you are expected while in military style uniforms to render proper C&Cs, and you should render proper C&Cs in the polo or blazer even though they are not military style.