Poll for military veterans...

Started by Stonewall, September 25, 2012, 06:52:00 PM

If asked to produce a DD 214 to demonstrate proof of military service and earned medals/awards/badges, prior to joining CAP, would you have a problem with forking it over?

Yes
2 (2.2%)
No
89 (97.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

Stonewall

We often hear of people claiming military service but didn't serve, or more frequently, those who did serve admirably, but decided to add a few pieces of bling to their chest just for more attention and respect.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Isn't it a requirement to substantiate any RM awards worn on CAP uniforms?

MSG Mac

I have no problem furnishing any of my 4 DD214, my NGB 22, or my Retirement orders. I would redact the SSN and Service numbers though.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MIKE

IMO, provide and then validate claims as part of the background check.
Mike Johnston

Al Sayre

I was happy to give them a copy to substantiate my PME and avoid the dreaded ECI-13...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Stonewall

Quote from: MIKE on September 25, 2012, 07:00:35 PM

I like that!  It would be too easy to fabricate a DD 214 these days.  So produce a DD 214 upon application for membership, then sign permission for CAP to conduct an official FOIA request.

Or, if you decline such a requirement, you are not allowed to wear military insignia/awards or count PME towards SM advancement.  There, that's it!  You shouldn't have to provide proof of military service UNLESS you're reaping the benefits of such, to include wearing of medals/badges/awards and/or credit for PME.
Serving since 1987.

Cool Mace

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 25, 2012, 07:01:01 PM
I was happy to give them a copy to substantiate my PME and avoid the dreaded ECI-13...

Oh come on. The ECI-13 wasn't THAT bad.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Stonewall

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 25, 2012, 07:05:14 PM
Quote from: Al Sayre on September 25, 2012, 07:01:01 PM

Oh come on. The ECI-13 wasn't THAT bad.

I did ECI-13 as a PFC in the Army, then went on to complete various levels of PME. 
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

I am missing my AAM from my 214, but I have a copy of the orders for it.  My 214 was created about a week before my ETS and award of the AAM.  I can, however, provide all data needed for the awards I have.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

abdsp51

Garibaldi

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 25, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
ECI-13 what's that  :)

It's that course that was replaced....oh, wait. you're being sarcastic.  :-[
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

MSG Mac

Quote from: abdsp51 on September 25, 2012, 07:34:11 PM
ECI-13 what's that  :)

It's the old CAP Officers Course which was replaced by the online OBC. 4 volumes each with a test that had to be completed prior to being allowed to procede to the next level. It was proceded by ECI-7,came out in the 60's which wa sproceded by ECI-1 in the 50's
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Al Sayre

Give them the whole story:
Quote from: MSG Mac on September 25, 2012, 07:56:43 PM

It's the old CAP Officers Course which was replaced by the online OBC. 4 volumes (of mimeographed, barely legible text) each with a test (concerning mostly 10 years out of date regulations and information) that had to be completed prior to being allowed to procede to the next level. It was proceded by ECI-7,came out in the 60's which was proceded by ECI-1 in the 50's

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

abdsp51

Did ya'll not notice the smiley after the comment?  I know what it is I never took it I applied my NCOA completion towards it. 

MIKE

Quote from: Stonewall on September 25, 2012, 07:04:49 PM
Quote from: MIKE on September 25, 2012, 07:00:35 PM

I like that!  It would be too easy to fabricate a DD 214 these days.  So produce a DD 214 upon application for membership, then sign permission for CAP to conduct an official FOIA request.

Or, if you decline such a requirement, you are not allowed to wear military insignia/awards or count PME towards SM advancement.  There, that's it!  You shouldn't have to provide proof of military service UNLESS you're reaping the benefits of such, to include wearing of medals/badges/awards and/or credit for PME.

What about sections C. and D. of the CAPF 12? 
Mike Johnston

MSgt Van

While we're at it, make sure we validate the diploma / GED thing before pinning Lt on somebody. I mentioned that once before a member was promoted and you'd thought I'd beaten a puppy.

If a vet doesn't want to validate their awards, then they shouldn't wear them. Heck, I'll show my DD214 or "Citation to accompany the award of..." certificates to anybody. I'm kinda proud of them.

Flying Pig

HECK YEAH!!! And while we are at it make sure Sq CCs undersand that there is no such thing as a classified DD214!!!  Im so sick of hearing that nonsense!!!  I know a guy right now who runs a business based off of war stories he cant verify that are supposedly supported by his classified DD214. Just take his word that he is a green beret medic/ UH 60 pilot!! 

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have all my documentation in a locked fireproof cabinet behind me.

I can get it any time I need it in about 10 minutes.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RADIOMAN015

No, the member should have a right to choose what official document he/she wants to present IF he she wants to use that information for some sort of advance standing in CAP.
RM     

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret