Main Menu

DNS Issues today?

Started by Eclipse, September 11, 2012, 02:08:46 AM

Eclipse

Was CT affected by the Godaddy fun today?

Just curious - it looks like delivery of PM notifications has been slow all day.

I had some CAP websites inaccessible because of DNS lookups hosted at GD, but email, at least hosted by Google, appeared
unaffected.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

I saw a lot of issues with DNS that might have only peripherally been related to GoDaddy....  Odd the ripple effect.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Spaceman3750

We were affected at work as were a couple of vendors, but things kept spinning :).

I'm just waiting for the barrage of tickets tomorrow from folks who weren't able to put them in today :(.

Eclipse

It's actually going to gen some business for me - getting people off email hosted at GD and moved to "other".

Their locally hosted mail and sites were apparently hardest hit.

"That Others May Zoom"

denverpilot

Nothing requires all of the Authoritative DNS servers for a zone to be hosted by the same company, or in the same location, or even on the same continent. In fact, it's dumb. But it's a fairly common mistake.

With the reasonable TTL and timeouts set in the SOA record, and distributed DNS servers, an outage of one cheesy provider is a total non-event.

And that's using old-school methods that worked 20 years ago. With Anycast and provider who utilizes it, and provider diversity, DNS zone outages for a zone are simply a sign of utter cluelessness or cheapness or both.

And that's right where GoDaddy lives. Cheap and clueless is their bread and butter.  High availability DNS isn't that much more expensive, but it always takes outages like this one for managers to find someone clueful and implement it correctly.

It's often the easiest DoS attack vector available to bad guys intent on killing a particular Domain... just flood the hosting server off the network. (Which is why hosting and resolving servers should also never be combined.)