Post your dream gear-setup here!

Started by Equinox, August 25, 2012, 02:09:16 AM

jhsmith400

Give the kid a break so what if his picture has his "K-pot" in it, like any of us hasn't either had one or a steel pot(depending on vintage) or thought about getting one.  As I've said about cadets (and seniors) who have them, and sometimes want to take them with them, do it once and you'll never do it again, unless you really really need it(they are alot of weight to carry without a need).  As for the gas mask... a day or two in the field eating beans and MREs then being stuck in a van with a bunch of teens, a gas mask isn't really all that bad an idea.

Garibaldi

Quote from: jhsmith400 on August 26, 2012, 03:39:01 PM
Give the kid a break so what if his picture has his "K-pot" in it, like any of us hasn't either had one or a steel pot(depending on vintage) or thought about getting one.  As I've said about cadets (and seniors) who have them, and sometimes want to take them with them, do it once and you'll never do it again, unless you really really need it(they are alot of weight to carry without a need).  As for the gas mask... a day or two in the field eating beans and MREs then being stuck in a van with a bunch of teens, a gas mask isn't really all that bad an idea.

Bahahaha! Reminds me of a SAREX back in the 90's. We'd eaten breakfast at some mom-n-pop joint in central Wisconsin prior to assignment. It didn't settle well with me and...well, long story short, I know how to clear out a van full of cadets in less than 5 seconds.

I use my airsoft pot on local training whenever we go into the woods. I've been hit in the head way too many times by wayward branches and other things. We used to have real steel pots back in the 80s for nearly the same reason on our squadron FTXs. I'd strap mine on the top of my ALICE pack when I wasn't using it. I also have a hard-hat that I got from my days at AT&T. It has a reflective band around it.

My head isn't what it used to be but darned if I won't protect it.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

manfredvonrichthofen

Blackhawk assault vest, for my 24, it would really sustained me for 48, and a molle Ruck for my 72. I use the modular sleep sysystem and a poncho for my tent, has worked for me since I was 13. And I can carry it on my vest. So in the summer I am good for an over night with just my vest. No helmet, if I really really need one flexible some strange reason, I'll consider getting one, but I have worn one long enough.

Stonewall

Here I am in 1993 at Ft. Belvoir, VA with my "dream gear" which I still  used today.  Notice the CFP-90 ruck to the left along with the Gore-tex bivvy covered with a poncho lean-to.
Serving since 1987.

PA Guy

It goes to professionalism when interacting with other SAR agencies.  If you think a hardhat is needed then wear a hardhat not a steel pot or K pot.

cap235629

Quote from: Garibaldi on August 26, 2012, 04:33:34 PM

Bahahaha! Reminds me of a SAREX back in the 90's. We'd eaten breakfast at some mom-n-pop joint in central Wisconsin prior to assignment. It didn't settle well with me and...well, long story short, I know how to clear out a van full of cadets in less than 5 seconds.

I use my airsoft pot on local training whenever we go into the woods. I've been hit in the head way too many times by wayward branches and other things. We used to have real steel pots back in the 80s for nearly the same reason on our squadron FTXs. I'd strap mine on the top of my ALICE pack when I wasn't using it. I also have a hard-hat that I got from my days at AT&T. It has a reflective band around it.

My head isn't what it used to be but darned if I won't protect it.

So do the prudent thing and spend 10 bucks on an orange hardhat at the hardware store and look like an asset rather than a tool.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Walkman

My dream gear is a ANSI spec orange MOLLE vest with detachable rear pack (hydration bladder included). There are some nice pieces of similar kit out there, but I can't afford them right now, hence the word "dream".

RogueLeader

Quote from: PA Guy on August 25, 2012, 03:06:38 AM
You just keep telling yourself that.  My critical reading skills are just fine.  Based on my experience as a GTL  CAP Grnd Ops is not about looking like Ricky Recon.

Based on MY experience as a GTL, ground ops is looking and being comfortable with the gear you have.  I just happen to have military gear as it was cheap or free.  It also happens to do double duty, other than just CAP.  So it saves $$$.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RogueLeader

Quote from: PA Guy on August 27, 2012, 03:51:03 AM

It goes to professionalism when interacting with other SAR agencies.  If you think a hardhat is needed then wear a hardhat not a steel pot or K pot.

He also mentioned that the k-pot and pro mask aren't used for CAP, but for the other side of double duty.  Now I would be concerned if he was wearing said pro mask at a sarex/sareval/mission.  To get upset of it in a picture? ??? Really????
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 27, 2012, 10:23:46 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on August 27, 2012, 03:51:03 AM

He also mentioned that the k-pot and pro mask aren't used for CAP, but for the other side of double duty.  Now I would be concerned if he was wearing said pro mask at a sarex/sareval/mission.  To get upset of it in a picture? ??? Really????
Exactly. The picture itself was from me taking a picture to show to a collector bud who wanted to see some of the gear I got in the past few months. Gear meaning any wearable equipment.

Garibaldi

If anyone thinks for a moment that my K-pot is worn anywhere outside a squadron training exercise, please. I have more sense than that. Otherwise I'd bring my airsoft rifle and use it as part of color guard.  >:D

jhsmith400

Man you all take yourselves way way too seriously, I only meant the comment about the gas-mask as a joke(I guess  only one got it), and the K-pot comment is true I've know kids to wear helmets as field gear ONCE, as they are heavy.  So don't get so defensive about your picture, as yes I did read the part about it being part of your collection, and duh I'm aware of what cuts a professional look.

Equinox

Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

vento

Quote from: Equinox on September 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM
Ok, new Dream Gear....

Finally, a gear to keep all my candy bars and Starbucks Via packs neatly organized and readily accessible!  >:D

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Equinox

Equinox

Garibaldi

Quote from: vento on September 07, 2012, 02:07:54 AM
Quote from: Equinox on September 06, 2012, 11:38:36 AM
Ok, new Dream Gear....

Finally, a gear to keep all my candy bars and Starbucks Via packs neatly organized and readily accessible!  >:D

It really looks like an urban assault diaper changing station vest.

A.Member

???   I don't get it.

I've participated in quite a few SAR(EX)s over the years, although most admittedly were as aircrew.   I cannot recall a single situation that would require anyone to have ridiculously giant vests like those posted here.  As a general statement, there should be one med. pack shared among the team.  Aside from that, a camelback, radio (not everyone), and maybe a protein bar or two is all a GTM really needs.   The rest of the misc stuff (maps, compass) can fit in pouches/pockets on the BDUs or camelback (depending on model).  What would you possibly put in those pouches?   More than a bit impractical.

Someone help me out here?! 
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Майор Хаткевич

Walking around for miles with stuff in your pockets sucks.