How to go about filing a complaint...?

Started by bnm777, July 15, 2012, 04:19:54 AM

bnm777

Hi all;

After more than 4 years of being a cadet in Civil Air Patrol, I have decided to quit due to issues with my squadron leadership that were present from Day 1. I am going to fill out a 2b and voluntarily resign from the program, but first, should I file a complaint? I have been advised to because, even though I am doubtful anything will come of it, I would like for it to be on the books that there was a problem (in case someone else, later, decides to take action). I've looked over CAPR 123-2 and looked through fourms, but I still don't have a complete picture of how the process works.

1. What are the repercussions of filing a complaint? I don't want to be dragged into so long, drawn out battle. I'm tired of the "office politics" drama.
2. What info needs to be provided in the complaint? Is there an official form? And who do I send it to? (Group IG? Group CC?)
3. What's the deal with submitting anonymous complaints? Good or bad idea?
4. Do you have to be a current member of CAP to file such a complaint? Will terminating my membership affect the process?

Any other insights into the process would be appreciated. 

Thanks in advance,
BnM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: bnm777 on July 15, 2012, 04:19:54 AM
1. What are the repercussions of filing a complaint? I don't want to be dragged into so long, drawn out battle. I'm tired of the "office politics" drama.
Then you should probably not bother. 

2. What info needs to be provided in the complaint? Is there an official form? And who do I send it to? (Group IG? Group CC?)

There is no official form.  Full details of the who, what, where, and when.  You should also bear in mind that poor leadership is not against regulations,
and a lot of complaints are closed as unfounded because in the end it was just poor leadership, not an actionable offense.  Generally the only complaints that are held as "founded" and are fully investigated to the point of disciplinary action are ones where a regulation has clearly been violated. "He-said / she-said" issues are generally not followed up on.

Also, unless you were the personally affected party, it is not likely to get much traction.  Complaints that start with "I heard..." may result in a phone call from the Wing CC, but probably won't be sustained.

The age of the complaint may be an issue as well.  Regs are regs, and if they are broken, and it can be proved, so be it, however the procedure for reporting violations is clear, and generally requires the immediate reporting of anything serious enough to actually care about.  If you have been involved in a situation where someone has repeatedly or consistently violated a regulation(s), or the complaint would be going back in time very far, the issue of your credibility will certainly come up.  That doesn't mean it won't be sustained, but personal accountability is a factor in these cases as well.

However, again, if you've already decided to quit, then it's probably a non-issue.

The complaint should be sent direct to the IG.

Don't expect it to be "anonymous" for very long - CAP at its core is a pretty small, tight community.  And don't expect much result if the
parties involved can't be interviewed. An anonymous FW&A complaint is something that can be investigated through finance and property records, an anonymous "he's touching my stuff" complaint can't.

4. Do you have to be a current member of CAP to file such a complaint? Will terminating my membership affect the process?
Yes, you do.

Lastly, CAPTalk is not the place to air your laundry in anything past broad generalizations.  There is no such thing as anonymity on the internet,
and no good will come of airing detailed grievances here.  We can offer advice on the process, but it is impossible to offer good advice
about specifics of the situation because we will only have one side of the story, and these situations always have three sides.

As I said above, if this is an issue of leadership, there is likely no complaint to file, however you could certainly send a professional letter to the Wing CC, call him, or consider meeting with him and involving your parents.  There might even be a solution that could keep you as a member, but quitting and lobbing a "Letter Bomb" is usually not the best way to handle these things.

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Hi all;

After more than 4 years of being a cadet in Civil Air Patrol, I have decided to quit due to issues with my squadron leadership that were present from Day 1. I am going to fill out a 2b and voluntarily resign from the program, but first, should I file a complaint? I have been advised to because, even though I am doubtful anything will come of it, I would like for it to be on the books that there was a problem (in case someone else, later, decides to take action). I've looked over CAPR 123-2 and looked through fourms, but I still don't have a complete picture of how the process works.

Thanks in advance,
BnM

Unfortunately, unless you are really willing to have your name dragged through the mud, regardless of whether or not you quit, I wouldn't bother. Generally, these kinds of things have a half-life of about 4 years, which is as long as most unit commanders can stand to stay in charge without it affecting their health, marriage or personal career. Most squadron CCs are on a first-name basis with the Wing CC, and as such, they can skate by and smooth over most problems reported. Unless you can prove actual dereliction of duty or some sort of real safety issue or problems dealing with cadets, like abuse or hazing or favoritism, don't bother. Get out while you can and go on to something more worthwhile. You don't even need to go so far as to fill out a 2b. Just walk away and let your membership lapse. You won't see that money again anyway. Best be remembered as "hey, remember that one guy..." than "Hey, remember that d-bag..." CAP isn't for everyone, even after 4 years.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I suppose transfer is out of the question?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

ßτε

There is a specific form (CAPF 30) you can use to file the complaint, although it is not required.

See CAPR 123-2 paragraph 7 for more details.

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Garibaldi on July 15, 2012, 04:48:43 AM
Hi all;

Thanks in advance,
BnM

Unfortunately, unless you are really willing to have your name dragged through the mud, regardless of whether or not you quit, I wouldn't bother. Generally, these kinds of things have a half-life of about 4 years, which is as long as most unit commanders can stand to stay in charge without it affecting their health, marriage or personal career. Most squadron CCs are on a first-name basis with the Wing CC, and as such, they can skate by and smooth over most problems reported. Unless you can prove actual dereliction of duty or some sort of real safety issue or problems dealing with cadets, like abuse or hazing or favoritism, don't bother. Get out while you can and go on to something more worthwhile. You don't even need to go so far as to fill out a 2b. Just walk away and let your membership lapse. You won't see that money again anyway. Best be remembered as "hey, remember that one guy..." than "Hey, remember that d-bag..." CAP isn't for everyone, even after 4 years.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. I suppose transfer is out of the question?

The other option as I see it is to write up your resignation letter including the reasons you are leaving in a polite and respectful manner.
I do not know or care to know what your "dirty laundry" or complaint is and as other have mentioned this is not the proper place to air it.
BUT
When you do submit said letter, do it thru your unit COC and also cc the Wing, Region and National Commanders and IG's respectively with copies sent from you directly to each.
If you are leaving it really does not  mater how much mud your name is dragged thru at that point does it?
My 2 cents says is that if you dont want to be bothered going thru the entire process of filing complains and feel that you should say something on the way out say it loud and clear to the right people yourself and then leave- knowing you will not be back so it does not matter.
Who knows maybe the Wing, Regional, or National commander may have a stack of similar letters in a file and positive action may result from your effort.

Incidentally- I dont burn my bridges, I blow them up 8)

With that all said............
the reason I say what I say is simple. CAP does not conduct exit interviews (which it should IMHO). Normally you would not want to go "letter bomb" happy but here there really is no other way to let the powers that be know why membership leaves or does not grow as it should.
Whatever you decide.
BEFORE you launch, take a few days time to think and review your actions and think about your reasons for your actions. Are they valid, or will you be looked at as just someone who is 8-up with a gripe or a whiner???? No one wants to listen to that.
I wish you the best of luck in whatever path you choose.
My point is that leaving and saying nothing does you no good, nor the organization any good. Might as well try to be heard on your way out.

RADIOMAN015

You don't indicate how far you've gone in the cadet program (e.g. Mitchell Award) and if you aren't at least at that level after 4 years than there is a problem.

Another alternative is to transfer to another unit and say nothing.

There's always going to be some clashes of personalities in units, and on the leadership side at least in some wings it's difficult to get volunteers to step forward to lead the squadrons, so what you perceive may be true on the leadership, but IF there's no one else willing to step up, unfortunately it is what it is.     How many other cadets left the program because of this perception of leadership shortcoming issues ???

Also now, apparently Air Force is requiring CAP to put all complaints into a complaint  data system so that it is easy to review by the USAF, BOG, and others that have been granted access, so there is some statistics kept.

Furthermore, if you unit is passing all inspections with good marks it's going to be very difficult to sustain your complaint.  IF you decide to leave anyways, you could sit down with the leadership or at least write them a letter stating why you didn't renew your membership.   Right now CAP has no requirement for formal followup with members that don't renewal their memberships to find out why.  Personally I don't think that would be too difficult to do, since just about everyone has email addresses and a simple letter could be sent with a questionaire attached.
RM       

bnm777

Indeed, transferring is out of the question (no other cadet unit within an hour's drive). The majority of the actions I witnessed fall under "Abuse of Power" as defined in CAP123-2. There are other things as well, like blatantly disregard for the relevant regulations at activities, etc. The problem is, I don't have any documentation or hard evidence. Just my personal testimony. There are signs, but nothing to prove my case beyond a doubt. I'm really more interested in voicing my complaint so that, hopefully, when someone else reports the same thing, it will be given more consideration.

But the point is, I felt there was wrongdoing and would like to voice that. Weither or not there was is up to CAP to decide.

I could care less if my name gets dragged through the mud (once I quit, will I ever see any of these people again? Probably not) I just don't want to still be dealing with the process 6 months from now. How long do these things usually take?

QuoteThe other option as I see it is to write up your resignation letter including the reasons you are leaving in a polite and respectful manner.
I do not know or care to know what your "dirty laundry" or complaint is and as other have mentioned this is not the proper place to air it.
BUT
When you do submit said letter, do it thru your unit COC and also cc the Wing, Region and National Commanders and IG's respectively with copies sent from you directly to each.
If you are leaving it really does not  mater how much mud your name is dragged thru at that point does it?
My 2 cents says is that if you dont want to be bothered going thru the entire process of filing complains and feel that you should say something on the way out say it loud and clear to the right people yourself and then leave- knowing you will not be back so it does not matter.
Who knows maybe the Wing, Regional, or National commander may have a stack of similar letters in a file and positive action may result from your effort.

Incidentally- I dont burn my bridges, I blow them up 8)

I like your idea. Would a simple letter detailing my overall grievances (not pinpointing specific events) and attached to my voluntary resignation on a 2b be appropriate? I'd really rather resign vs letting my membership expire because it makes a point. "I am forced to leave the organization because of these actions." Should I still send a copy to the squadron CC if he is named? (Or should I name names in the letter or just refer to positions or, even more vague "squadron leadership"?)

Thanks to everyone for your help. I'm kind of floundering because I've never known anyone to do something like this.

abdsp51

I left my last unit for some conflicts that were occurring there and I let my membership expire after writing letters to those I deemed appropriate to do something about it.  You cite abuse of power as a reason for leaving but have no evidence outside of your voice.  If these issues have been ongoing since day 1 why has it not been addressed to the unit commander or even the group commander?  I will say that with perception being reality the view of "abuse of power" and "blatantly disregarding relevant regulations at activities" can sometimes be askew as members especially cadets are not always privy to the thought process behind something.

You say that this has been ongoing for 4 years and you are just now deciding to leave and want to voice your grievances and that you are being "forced out" I think this may be more of a personality conflict than anything else.  Now I am not trying to downplay your view but as others have said there are more sides to the story. 

In filing your complaint you need to be as detail oriented and accurate as possible.  Filing the complaint and not having your ducks in a row will cause your credibility to be in question. 

Eclipse

Then voice your opinion and move on.  Odds are these are mostly issues of opinion regarding the regs, and if you have no evidence, no complaint is going to be sustained.  And when you say "activities", the implication is that this is a larger scope then your unit, which would make the situation even more difficult to sustain past your grievance letter.

Quote from: bnm777 on July 15, 2012, 05:11:39 PMI like your idea. Would a simple letter detailing my overall grievances (not pinpointing specific events) and attached to my voluntary resignation on a 2b be appropriate? I'd really rather resign vs letting my membership expire because it makes a point. "I am forced to leave the organization because of these actions." Should I still send a copy to the squadron CC if he is named? (Or should I name names in the letter or just refer to positions or, even more vague "squadron leadership"?)

If you don't "name names" you seriously might not as well bother.  Few IGs are going to be interested in trying to decipher who was the
"X" Officer at some random activity over a 4-year period.  I also echo abdsp51's comment / question as to why you watched for 4 years and said nothing
about "blatant violations of regulations".  This sound more and more like a typical "I don't like your decisions  / I didn't get my way..." personality conflict.

If the CAP rose has soured for you, best to simply add it it your life experience list and move on.

"That Others May Zoom"

ßτε

Your unit commander will need to sign the CAPF 2B before forwarding it to NHQ.

I am pretty sure it would not be processed without a commander's signature.

I don't think that sending the resignation to every echelon is a good idea.

Eclipse

Even though several of us have indicated not to air laundry, if you're able to detail an example of a "blatant abuse of regulation / power" it might
be at least interesting.

"That Others May Zoom"

bnm777

Quote from: ßτε on July 15, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

Does a resignation have to have a squadron commander's signature? I got the impression you can just email it in from http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/~/submitting-a-resignation-of-cap-membership

QuoteIf you don't "name names" you seriously might not as well bother.  Few IGs are going to be interested in trying to decipher who was the
"X" Officer at some random activity over a 4-year period.  I also echo abdsp51's comment / question as to why you watched for 4 years and said nothing
about "blatant violations of regulations".  This sound more and more like a typical "I don't like your decisions  / I didn't get my way..." personality conflict.

I don't have a problem with calling out those involved, but I am asking if that would be appropriate in a polite, respectful resignation letter.

As to why I never spoke up when things were wrong: I was a young teen when I joined and I had never had an experience like CAP. Of course, when you are young and new to this kind of organization and you don't know how people think, a lot of things seem unfair. My parent, who joined soon after me, realized what was going on and let her membership expire (She would tell me what she saw, from the SM side, after I was older and came to her with the same kind of complaints). The same with another adult relative.
Between wanting to continue to be in the program and lots of propaganda from the leadership ("We are the best cadet squadron in Wing. You won't get these opportunities anywhere else if you transfer. Everything we do is for your benefit.") and being "borderline harrassed" (in my mother's words) if a rumor got around that you were transferring, I tried to ignore everything and thought "Well, it must be worse everywhere else". But as I went to more Wing activities and made friends with cadets from other squadrons, I realized that wasn't the case.
In short, I was enjoying CAP and didn't want to stall my ambitions because I got on the bad side of the leadership.

Eclipse

Quote from: bnm777 on July 15, 2012, 08:27:40 PM
In short, I was enjoying CAP and didn't want to stall my ambitions because I got on the bad side of the leadership.

Then clearly it wasn't bad enough to impact your experience, and its doubtful the things you're so concerned about are really
something worth complaining about.

Members find they no longer enjoy CAP every day, for various reasons including new commanders and staff they don't
get along with over generally small "human" issues.

I'd say that your best bet is to just find other ways to spend your time and not invest a lot of effort into a going away letter. 
Life is too short.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Quote from: bnm777 on July 15, 2012, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: ßτε on July 15, 2012, 06:02:08 PM

Does a resignation have to have a squadron commander's signature? I got the impression you can just email it in from http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/~/submitting-a-resignation-of-cap-membership

QuoteIf you don't "name names" you seriously might not as well bother.  Few IGs are going to be interested in trying to decipher who was the

I don't have a problem with calling out those involved, but I am asking if that would be appropriate in a polite, respectful resignation letter.

As to why I never spoke up when things were wrong: I was a young teen when I joined and I had never had an experience like CAP. Of course, when you are young and new to this kind of organization and you don't know how people think, a lot of things seem unfair. My parent, who joined soon after me, realized what was going on and let her membership expire (She would tell me what she saw, from the SM side, after I was older and came to her with the same kind of complaints). The same with another adult relative.
Between wanting to continue to be in the program and lots of propaganda from the leadership ("We are the best cadet squadron in Wing. You won't get these opportunities anywhere else if you transfer. Everything we do is for your benefit.") and being "borderline harrassed" (in my mother's words) if a rumor got around that you were transferring, I tried to ignore everything and thought "Well, it must be worse everywhere else". But as I went to more Wing activities and made friends with cadets from other squadrons, I realized that wasn't the case.

Ok was there anything to back up the claim of "best cadet squadron in the wing" and in a well run unit yes everything the senior members do is for the cadets benefit.  And as far as being harassed well either you were or you weren't if you were did you say something?  If not then waiting until you go to say something really would not amount to much.

Sounds to me and that's all this is is MHO that you just grew out of being a cadet and there are/were personality conflicts with you, your mom and the unit. It happens throughout the organization.  Every commander has the discretion to run his/her unit as they see fit as long as laws and regulations are followed. 

Lord of the North

CAPR 123-2, Complaints, paragraph 7a states, in part, "a. All complaints should be in writing, dated and signed by the complainant. E-mail and voice (telephone) complaints require a written follow up, with a signature, submitted (postmarked or hand delivered) within 8 days. Complaints must be accompanied by all available documentation in the possession or control of the complainant. ... "

CAPR 123-2, para 7g, states "The complainant shall submit the complaint within 60 days of the occurrence or action upon which the complaint is based or within 60 days of the complainant becoming aware of the occurrence or action upon which the complaint is based. If the IG and his/her commander agree that it is in the interest of the Civil Air Patrol to investigate a complaint that is not within the 60 day window, the commander may waive this requirement."

Private Investigator

Quote from: bnm777 on July 15, 2012, 08:27:40 PM... and lots of propaganda from the leadership ("We are the best cadet squadron in Wing. You won't get these opportunities anywhere else if you transfer. Everything we do is for your benefit.")

...and thought "Well, it must be worse everywhere else". But as I went to more Wing activities and made friends with cadets from other squadrons, I realized that wasn't the case.

I am looking at both sides. Disgruntled Cadet passed over for promotion or premium assignment. In four years how many Squadron Commanders did you have? Was it just a good ole boy thing going on or what?

But problem Units in my experience always claims to be the best Unit and they always say they do everything for the Cadets when it usually is their child, grandchild or other relative that gets the accolades.

bnm777, should call the Wing Commander and the Wing IG and take ten minutes of their time.

Good luck   :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 16, 2012, 03:02:30 AMBut problem Units in my experience always claims to be the best Unit and they always say they do everything for the Cadets...

When I assumed command of a unit, they had one (1) functioning radio sitting on a table in a tangle of dead power and antenna cables, on top of a pool of
PCB-laden oil which had leaked from the power supply "a long time ago", but no one had bothered to clean it up. 

I removed the dead cables, cleaned up all the legacy parts of mounts on the roof, and placed the radio in a cabinet above my desk so it could be secured at night and actually used without risking cancer.  When I was done, we had one (1) functioning radio.

I was told that I had "destroyed the most effective communications unit in the wing"...

Perspective is everything.

"That Others May Zoom"

bnm777

Quote from: Private Investigator on July 16, 2012, 03:02:30 AM

I am looking at both sides. Disgruntled Cadet passed over for promotion or premium assignment. In four years how many Squadron Commanders did you have? Was it just a good ole boy thing going on or what?

But problem Units in my experience always claims to be the best Unit and they always say they do everything for the Cadets when it usually is their child, grandchild or other relative that gets the accolades.

bnm777, should call the Wing Commander and the Wing IG and take ten minutes of their time.

Good luck   :)

I think  summed up the situation right there. And he assumed command about 2 months after I joined, after being DCC since the founding.

Thanks everyone for your input. I've decided to write a short letter with my resignation and cc my squadron and group commanders.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 16, 2012, 03:12:21 AM
Quote from: Private Investigator on July 16, 2012, 03:02:30 AMBut problem Units in my experience always claims to be the best Unit and they always say they do everything for the Cadets...

When I assumed command of a unit, they had one (1) functioning radio sitting on a table in a tangle of dead power and antenna cables, on top of a pool of
PCB-laden oil which had leaked from the power supply "a long time ago", but no one had bothered to clean it up. 

I removed the dead cables, cleaned up all the legacy parts of mounts on the roof, and placed the radio in a cabinet above my desk so it could be secured at night and actually used without risking cancer.  When I was done, we had one (1) functioning radio.

I was told that I had "destroyed the most effective communications unit in the wing"...

Perspective is everything.

I remember seeing the process and hearing about the remark! :P