Join dates in e-Services

Started by Майор Хаткевич, June 26, 2012, 04:17:39 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Looks like I have two:

06 May 2003 (Cadet)
17 Aug 2010 (SM)

Just slightly confusing I suppose.

Eclipse

I think you're confusing promotion dates with join date.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Promotion date is 05 June 2011. :)

It specifically says under the "my account" section that the join date is in August of 2010 (SM rollover).

But under the member search, my file with all my records shows the initial 2003 join date.

a2capt

Or they finally fixed it. Sorta.

We've had some issues where a cadet then rejoined years later as a senior member, suddenly getting 20 year member credit. At least with two join dates, it would cause someone to actually examine the data.

Stonewall

I haven't looked in a while, but I joined as a cadet in August 1987 and got my Billy Mitchell Award in June 1991.  However, in e-Services, it said I got my Mitchell in January 1987.  Silly CAP.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on June 26, 2012, 04:33:35 PM

We've had some issues where a cadet then rejoined years later as a senior member, suddenly getting 20 year member credit. At least with two join dates, it would cause someone to actually examine the data.

Wouldn't it make more sense (at least with post 2000 members) to track it all?

Mine would then reflect:

Cadet: 06 May 2003 - 17 August 2010
SM: 17 August 2010 - 31 May 2013 (Membership expiration date).

jeders

Interesting. It seems that the 'My Account' section is pulling the most recent membership application date. For me that's at the cadet to senior transition just after my 21st birthday. But the 'Member Search' section is still maintaining my initial join date.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FW

It's kind of interesting that, If you have a long break in membership and rejoin, you can just pay back dues to get credit for the "break".  So, a member could be out for years and "suddenly" be a 20 year member...

ßτε

Quote from: FW on June 26, 2012, 04:59:08 PM

It's kind of interesting that, If you have a long break in membership and rejoin, you can just pay back dues to get credit for the "break".  So, a member could be out for years and "suddenly" be a 20 year member...
You can do that for only up to two years break in service. Length of service should never be determined by what is in member search. That does not take into account breaks in service.

SarDragon

I have the same problem. My First Joined Date is 19 Feb '64. My Most Recent Joined Date is 27 Apr '87. There's a 6 year break in service from '81 to '87. I've accumulated the necessary documentation to verify my service periods, and get my counter straight with NHQ. Only 8 years until my free ride.   :D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Cadet time: December 1977-December 1984. Other than originals of my Mitchell and Earhart certificates, very little else exists of my cadet career.

Senior member time: October 1985-October 1988 - 17-year break in membership - October 17, 2005-present.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ßτε

From what I have seen, there are two places for join dates in eServices. One is used in reports like the Membership Report and should be the most recent join date for those who have a break in service. For those who have transitioned from cadet to senior, this should be the join date as a senior.

There is another join date which is shown in member search. This will usually your first join date, whether as a cadet or senior, even if you have a break in service. But there are exceptions. I think the transition was in 1994, which is when the "new" CAPID numbering was initiated. If you were a senior member at this time, the join date looks like your most recent join date as a senior prior to 1994. It doesn't show your join date as a cadet (unless you call NHQ and have them change it.) If you were a cadet at this time, it looks like the join date is the date you joined as a cadet.

SarDragon

I'm pissed. This PoS site ate my last post! I had looked up the gaps in the numbers. There is a big one before 150100, of a couple of thousand numbers.

I had a break in participation from '89 to '99, and no longer have olde records from my unit available, so I cannot speak with any certainty on when the CAPIDs started. I do know that existing members were converted from SSN on 1 Jan 2001.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 01:16:20 AM

There is another join date which is shown in member search. This will usually your first join date, whether as a cadet or senior, even if you have a break in service. But there are exceptions. I think the transition was in 1994, which is when the "new" CAPID numbering was initiated. If you were a senior member at this time, the join date looks like your most recent join date as a senior prior to 1994. It doesn't show your join date as a cadet (unless you call NHQ and have them change it.) If you were a cadet at this time, it looks like the join date is the date you joined as a cadet.

1994? I was thinking 1990-1991. As I recall they assigned the new CAPID when you renewed or joined. That is why somebody who had already been a member for 20 years got a new higher number than somebody just joined with a lower number.

SarDragon

Quote from: Private Investigator on June 27, 2012, 08:43:46 AM
Quote from: ßτε on June 27, 2012, 01:16:20 AM

1994? I was thinking 1990-1991. As I recall they assigned the new CAPID when you renewed or joined. That is why somebody who had already been a member for 20 years got a new higher number than somebody just joined with a lower number.

I have not found this to always be the case. It appears that there are tow, possibly three blocks of members.

The first is all those folks who joined before the transition started. Their new numbers are the lowest ones assigned at the transition, and appear to be in SSAN order.

The next group is all those people who joined after the transition was complete. Their numbers are always higher than the first group.

The (possible) third group is all the people who joined during the transition. I can't quite get my head wrapped around  the highlighted statement above. Existing members should already have gotten a new number from the first block (below 148xxx), while new members should have theirs from the second block (above 149xxx). There is a gap in there.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

What CAP needs is something like the DOD.

On my records....I have a IEMSD  (Initial Entry to Military Service Date) and a TAMSD (Total Active Military Service Date).

The first date was the date I initally joined....on delayed entry.
The second date was the date I actully left for basic.

The key here is that if I had a bread in service.....the TAMSD would change to reflect my Total Time in the service....back dated from when I rejoined the military.

So....Let' say I was a Cadet from Jan 2000 to Jan 2004....then quit and rejoined on Jan 2010.

My Initial CAP Entry Date (ICEP) would be Jan 2000 But my Total Active CAP Date (TACD) woulb be Jan 2006....to show the four year I accumilated before my current term of service.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SarDragon

Join dates have been mostly of minor importance until recently. The Red Service ribbon is the biggest factor. When they started giving out the fifty-year member free rides, on non-continuous service, then it had a financial impact.

I agree that they need a better way to document this. I'm wondering what records are available, and how far back, to document time in service, for our more ancient members.

The obvious Q is - who's gonna input the data, if it's even available? I'd be willing to spend a week in NHQ doing that.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

ol'fido

I "officially" joined the first time in Feb of '79 and expired in '90 while I was on AD. I rejoined in May '92 and that is the join date in eServices. Then it lists my Level 1 date as 1 Jan 1980.  :o ;D I had used my SSAN when I joined and still had that when I rejoined. Later I received my CAPID which is 128XXX. So I guess I am pretty typical with the ID#.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006