Encampment Staff Equipment

Started by Sgt. Papa, May 09, 2012, 12:03:37 AM

Sgt. Papa

Does an Encampment Staff Member bring the same exact things that the basics bring to encampment?

Eclipse

Depends on the encampment, and their position, but generally, yes.

"That Others May Zoom"

Shotgun

What Eclipse said!

Most likely Staff will bring additional items based on their positions.

For example, a flight sergeant would probably bring a clipboard, yard stick, backpack, ISR, camera.
PA would bring digital camera, laptop, camcorder, music collection, etc.

I've heard that some encampments may allow a cadet staff member to keep their mp3 player or phone, but that is pretty rare.

In any case you will definitely want to bring what is on the packing list. The question is can you bring additional items and have them be considered contraband.

MajorM

But check with your chain of command before bringing extra stuff, especially if it seems borderline (of course borderline is open to interpretation I guess).  Bringing in contraband as an encampment staff member is a good way to start the week on the wrong foot.

And I'll just put this out there.... leave the energy drinks at home.  They're not good for you, not recommended for youth, and expose you and the encampment to potential issues that none of you need.

Sgt. Papa

Well i'm going as a Flight Sergeant, and i figured i wouldn't need a clipboard, that's more of a Flight Commander thing. i figured i'd just bring what's on the packing list, and as extra, have my ALICE field pack, and inside it have a  first aid kit, camera, rain gear, drill guide, and i don't really know what else to put in it.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Cool Mace

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 09, 2012, 11:02:06 PM
Why do you need a camera?

I'm going to guess for pictures... Sorry, I had to.

A lot of cadets bring cameras to encampment so they can take pictures of what they want, and not have to rely on someone else maybe getting the shot.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Cool Mace on May 09, 2012, 11:06:35 PM

A lot of cadets bring cameras to encampment so they can take pictures of what they want, and not have to rely on someone else maybe getting the shot.
I figured as much, but I didn't think it would be allowed... The camera can contain lots of contraband.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on May 09, 2012, 11:18:20 PM
Quote from: Cool Mace on May 09, 2012, 11:06:35 PM

I figured as much, but I didn't think it would be allowed... The camera can contain lots of contraband.

So can the phone hidden in a rolled sleeve...

The point stands...some encampments allow them. For the one I went to...we couldn't use pictures until proper approval, so you might as well leave it at home. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Cool Mace on May 09, 2012, 11:06:35 PMA lot of cadets bring cameras to encampment so they can take pictures of what they want, and not have to rely on someone else maybe getting the shot.

We had a Chief this year who watched as a cadet erased every picture on the camera.

If it's not on the list, don't bring it.

Period.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Another aspect of having a camera is that it is a distraction. You should be participating in the activities, not taking pictures of them.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CAPC/officer125

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 09, 2012, 10:57:55 PM
Well i'm going as a Flight Sergeant, and i figured i wouldn't need a clipboard, that's more of a Flight Commander thing. i figured i'd just bring what's on the packing list, and as extra, have my ALICE field pack, and inside it have a  first aid kit, camera, rain gear, drill guide, and i don't really know what else to put in it.

As someone who has staffed 6 encampments in various positions, I would highly recommend taking a clipboard. Just because you are a Flight Sergeant doesn't mean you won't need something to carry quick reference materials. A clipboard can carry your schedule for the day, the drill you may need to teach that day, a quick reference drill guide, and paper to write notes about classes, cadets and everything else on. One that has a storage compartment is even better. It can hold your pen(s) and a 6 inch sewing ruler (to check collar insignia). I think it looks unprofessional to constantly be getting into your pockets to get those things and its a great way to keep organized.
An ALICE pack may be a little much. If you have a camelbak with a backpack attachment, that would be a little better. Its smaller and can hold the things you will need. I would also put a flashlight in there, and possibly your shoe shine kit (at least a shine rag) so you have something to keep you looking your best in front of the cadets. The flight sergeant is the first point of reference for all things encampment for most cadets and always looking professional and knowing your stuff will help you earn their respect and trust.

C/LtCol Temaat
2012 JDCLE C/CC
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

AngelWings

I might end up in your flight. I suggest you bring the things you think you may not exactly need but could end up being useful. It never hurts to bring extra stuff you don't need (as long as it doesn't weigh a ton and you are wearing it on your back ;)). As a squadron Flight Sgt., I've found clipboard are very useful when it comes towards holding schedules, drill movements, and any needed knowledge. I'd ask some of your fellow staffers for what they think you should bring. Lastly, I wouldn't flip out on the packing list until it is a little closer personally. You have plenty of time until July, and you'll probably get an oppurtunity to talk about what you should and shouldn't bring. It's good to prepare early, don't get me wrong, but I've noticed that people pick through their stuff if it is packed even a week or two early. I know I do (duct tape is a wonderful thing!).

Sgt. Papa

you might end up in my flight? you're profile says "Salty and Seasoned Contributor". doesn't that mean you've been here for quite some time?

Eclipse

Clipboards: Yes, they can be handy to write on.  If the encampment CC or Commandant wants the line staff to have them, they will likely provide them.
Many activities prohibit them, or at least them off the packing lists, because cadets tend to hide behind them and / or they just became a left-around PITA.

Duct Tape: Never a good idea, unless specified.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

I had over 500 posts before I went to encampment. Post count doesn't mean anything.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

AngelWings

Quote from: ECCS4Life on May 10, 2012, 08:42:45 PM
you might end up in my flight? you're profile says "Salty and Seasoned Contributor". doesn't that mean you've been here for quite some time?
The battle of the bulge. I used to be 60 pounds heavier and would have been a burden at encampment because I wouldn't have been able to do PT well and I wasn't exactly highspeed, either. Things have changed, and now I am ready for whatever comes my way.

Quote from: Eclipse on May 10, 2012, 08:49:59 PM
Duct Tape: Never a good idea, unless specified.
I wasn't saying bring duct tape, I was using it as an example. I'm sure there is many things on the packing list that might end up very well getting taken out for a use or two if packed early enough. Like brown/black t-shirts, socks, shampoo, batteries, pens, so on and so forth. I know that every time I have a pack ready to go weeks in advance I usually end up going through it to find some thing I need in my ES kit, like duct tape or sun screen. And from what I've heard and observed it is a very common problem among a lot of people.

Pylon

This is an older thread, and somewhat specific to TAC officers, but much of it could apply more broadly to encampment staff:  http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=252
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

titanII

As a fellow (future) 2012 MAWG Encampment Staff member, here are the "extra" items I suggest:
       clipboard
       first aid kit is a good idea, don't know how much use you'll get out of it though
       as staff, we are allowed to pack food/drinks to store in the fridge in our room. You decide....

As far as things to carry around in your backpack, I'm going to be carrying: water (duh), poncho, clipboard, papers and stuff (schedules, rosters, maybe some manuals, etc.), a notebook, pens, sunscreen, bug spray, and a flashlight. (In addition, of course, to the other things those that outrank me say I need to carry  :D)
No longer active on CAP talk

Perez

At MAWG you're generally allowed to bring anything you think you will need. Cough drops(crucial if you're a flight sergeant)clipboards, duct tape(extremely useful), and other things of the like. Just be sure to use common sense. You may be able to bring an mp3 player, but I guarantee that you won't get the time to use it. Basically, if it helps you do your job, and it's not dangerous, then you can bring it. Just be sure to check with your chain of command.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.