"official" meeting uniforms for seniors

Started by RiverAux, February 04, 2007, 04:16:25 PM

Does you squadron have an "official" uniform that senior members are required to wear at meetings?  If so, what is it?  Poll only applies to senior squadrons or senior sides of composite squadrons.  

No official uniform policy for meetings.  Uniform choice left to each individual
23 (57.5%)
AF/CAP corporate service uniforms (blue pants/shirt, gray pants/white shirt, etc.)
5 (12.5%)
BDUs/BBDUs
4 (10%)
golf shirt
1 (2.5%)
Other
5 (12.5%)
Specific uniforms normally not required, though are on "special" occassions
2 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

RiverAux

My home squadron hasn't had any official guidelines on which uniforms should be worn by seniors at regular meetings of the senior side of our composite squadron.  However, without anyone ever making this an explicit requirement most people show up at meetings wearing the golf shirt uniform.  During actual missions you will see a majority of folks wearing flightsuits though.  The seniors who lead our cadets almost always wear AF-style uniforms (BDUs on most nights, service dress once a month on "formal night").   

MIKE

We always have a specified Uniform of the Day, for everyone, not just the seniors.  It's usually BDU or Field Uniform.  Have been wearing service uniforms or CAP distinctive equivalents on nights we do ML or for Open Houses and such, but since our newest cadets don't have service uniforms yet, might have to change that for a bit... for uniformity.
Mike Johnston

carnold1836

Our squadron has a specified UOD for all members, AF/ACP distinctive for Our leadership/ML and AE meetings. BDU/BBDU on ES meetings. No one wears the golf shirt, EVER!!!
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

This becomes a major issue since there are so many combinations. 

Cadets have a unifrom of the day issued by the DCC of our unit.  Seniors basically wear the unifrom they have. 

The real issue revolves around the fact that most people are not wearing USAF style to the degree in the past. 

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

RiverAux

OKay, let me narrow the scope of this poll a little bit.... only answer for senior squadrons or senior sides of composite squadrons.

I think seniors working with cadets are an entirely different ball game.  

AlphaSigOU

UOD for Addison Squadron is generally BDUs/DFUs for groundpounders or flight suits (blue or green bag) for aircrew on ES night; other nights it's blues, TPUs or grays.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

bosshawk

The Sq that I just came from uniformly wears the blue golf shirt and gray slacks: always !!!!!!!

I am going to attend a Wing Staff Meeting this coming week and that will be an interesting exercise: have no idea what the staff wears.  I will wear my golf shirt and gray slacks: have a two hour flight to get there and am staying overnight.  Don't own a service blue uniform and certainly am not going to lug the blazer combo in my airplane, just to attend a Wing grope.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on February 04, 2007, 05:37:06 PM
UOD for Addison Squadron is generally BDUs/DFUs for groundpounders or flight suits (blue or green bag) for aircrew on ES night; other nights it's blues, TPUs or grays.

In our unit, most seriors wear AF style or short sleeve aviator shirts.  Aviators wear flught suits.  We meet at an Army Reserve Center and have meetings at a Local County Airport.

When we meet at the airport, feild unifroms are stressed (BDUs & Flight Suits)  

Once CAP narrows down the uniform options to two (AF and CAp distictive) shirt combinations, two Field Uniforms and two flight suits.  We will continue to have an issue with this.

The USAF style needs to be shadowed by CAP style.  I think the best way already exists.  The Aviator Shirt blue pants is a good match to the AF style.  The CAP BBDU is also a good match.  We really should have only one flight suit.

I will, however, leave the "blood letting" and striping down of the various unifrom combinations to people here with more desire to do so.

As a note, I was reading, and I cannot find it, a post on another forum that was ridiculing our wear of USAF style uniforms.  It is from there that I found that term "poser/pretenderism."  Frankly, that discussion made me ill.  So, please proceed with caution as we discuss this.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

I didnt submit a vote above because for every option there was a corporate side to it.  As Ive stated in a previous thread the Seniors in my unit are for the most part  current/prior service. We have a uniform of the week and its always an AF style uniform - be it BDUs or the Service Dress.
In fact, I do not believe any of my unit Seniors has a TPU. (Our retired E-9 would just LOVE that thing )  :)
The cadets meet the same night (though in a different set of rooms) and their UOW matches us. And as far as I know, they've never shown up in civilies - unless they are vistors/new recruits.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 04, 2007, 05:02:54 PM
This becomes a major issue since there are so many combinations. 

Cadets have a unifrom of the day issued by the DCC of our unit.  Seniors basically wear the unifrom they have. 

The real issue revolves around the fact that most people are not wearing USAF style to the degree in the past.  Need Proof?  Look at this pic from a SLS/CLC from CAP News Online...

Only one person, and she is blocked, is wearing USAF style.  What was that issue about distancing ourselves from the USAF?
Hey I was project officer for that SLS/CLC! There's actually a couple more in blues out of frame & 3/4ths of the instructors were (others in white/blue or gray). UOD for the event was blues or CAP white/blue or gray. All but one person in CLC was wearing blues IIRC. There's also people in that room with CAP cutouts pinned on AF grade slides, badges that can't be worn on blues, military ribbons on white shirts, all kinds of problems.

Anyway, we don't have different standards for cadets & seniors. Talk about disingenuous, that'd be a disgrace. We have UOD for the Sq. It's blues 1st/3rd Tuesdays & BDUs ther est of the time. Srs are free to wear CAP alts for those uniforms as they see fit (or fit sees them as the case may be). We do opening formation together & inspection right after. Been having teh personnel officer walk down the line of seniors & look them over while the cadets are getting inspected. Even if nothing gets fixed, jus tthe fact that cadets see them getting inspected is huge for good oreder & discipline, and honestly a lot easier way to bring up problems to people w/o it being a "thing." This is pretty new now so we hadn't done it much, but we're working on it.

davedove

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 04, 2007, 05:02:54 PM

That is basically the policy of our unit.  Seniors pretty much wear the uniform they have.  Since our cadets also meet on the night seniors meet, and they have a uniform of the day, those seniors that work closely with cadets try to wear the same uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

BillB

How many uniform violations do you see in the photo? There are several there, name them.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

davedove

Quote from: BillB on February 05, 2007, 12:39:57 PM
How many uniform violations do you see in the photo? There are several there, name them.

At the SLS I just attended, one of the instructors told a story about uniforms.  They were teaching the cadets and had the senior intentionally wear some uniform items incorrectly.  Unfortunately, the cadets found about twice as many errors as they had planned. ::)
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DNall

Quote from: BillB on February 05, 2007, 12:39:57 PM
I don't actually know the exact rule for outterwear w/ corporate-style uniforms. Otherwise I hate to call anyone out since I was actually at this thing, but there's three major ones, two of which aren't visable, and a couple other minor ones you might be able to see. Mind you now, this picture was on the second day. The first day included the professional image presenation, in which people were individually called out in front of the class for most of the violations we saw. If you really want to name some stuff though, I'll confirm or deny from memory.

RiverAux

SAR, go ahead and vote.  The options I chose were equivalent uniforms.  So, if your required meeting uniform is the BDU, then go ahead and hit that option even if BBDU is next to it. 

MIKE

Did somebody reset the poll or something... I know I voted in this one?
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Yes I did late last night after it became clear we needed to separate seniors working directly with cadets from senior squadrons and senior sides of composite squadrons. 

SAR-EMT1

We dont wear the same thing every week though. Sometimes its AF Blues and sometimes its the BDU. We match whatever the cadets are assigned to wear.
Usually the 1st and 3rd weeks its BDUs
2nd Week is Flight Suits/PT gear - Cadets wear PT gear
4th (and 5th if there is one) is Blues

Since we wear BDUs more often thats what Ill mark.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

O-Rex

In cadet/comp. units, the cadet activity dictates the uniform of the day.

In alot of senior sqdns, its generally a free-for-all, regardless of what is on the training schedule.

The basic required costume is the AF Blue shirt combo, or Corp equivalent. You'd be surprised how many seniors don't have them.

I get a kick out of what we call "39-1A:" which includes fatigue golf shirt, service golf shirt, and full dress golf shirt, and the same complement of flight suit options.

My favorite was the guy who wore his "green bag" to CLC:  Our Wing-King gave the "professional appearance" class.

CC: "So Captain, did you fly to this event?"

Mbr: "No, I drove."

CC: "Ah, there's nothing like the added safety of a nomex flight suit when cruising the interstate in your Honda Civic."

That's one I'll never forget..........

A.Member

Answer:  Yes, we have a required uniform but it does not fit any of your choices listed.  I suppose "Other" applies.

The meeting uniform is the Uniform of the Day as determined by the Squadron Commander.  UoD is listed on the monthly meeting calendar and is available for viewing several weeks (a month) in advance.  (i.e. March calendar is posted in early Feb.).  Should a late uniform change be needed, members are notified a minimum 24 hours in advance via squadron e-mail and website posting.  UoD for the following week is also announced during Commander's Call, just prior to closing formation.

Members are always required to wear a uniform when "engaged in normal duties as a CAP member or attending local, wing/region, or national CAP functions" (per 39-1).  Normal duties includes meetings.  It is not optional.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

afgeo4

Squadrons in my group meet in BDUs/Utilities 3 times a month and in blues for CC call once a month. UOD is suggested in all units, but most are very flexible. True to CAP, we'd rather have you in the wrong or even out of uniform than not have you at all.
GEORGE LURYE

brasda91

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 06, 2007, 08:03:14 AM
Squadrons in my group meet in BDUs/Utilities 3 times a month and in blues for CC call once a month. UOD is suggested in all units, but most are very flexible. True to CAP, we'd rather have you in the wrong or even out of uniform than not have you at all.

Sounds like my squadron.
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011