Why is there a difference between some medal ribbons and their small ribbons?

Started by Guardrail, January 21, 2007, 01:38:26 AM

DNall

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 22, 2007, 06:46:15 PM
Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on January 22, 2007, 06:25:10 PM
But alas the USAF has never had the sense of the USCG to grant its Auxiliarist brethren real ribbons and awards. ... And I dont see that changing without some serious lobbying.
True. The Air Force seems to treat us like pets. Gives us a pat on the head when we do good, but rarely gives us any treats. And seriously berates us when there are problems.
AF ribbons wouldn't be classified as "pats on the head?" I think that's exactly what they'd be, the AF thanking indiv members for service to the AF. That seems completely appropriate. Obviously not all ribbons are awardable to civilians, but about half are. A couple others I think would be nice to open up for CAP.

The whole CG & Aux got a Pres unit citation for Katrina/Rita. Something for 9/11 also I think, even if you were on the ther side of the country. There's also a gold lifesaving award or something like that, I forget off hand, but a handful that are meant to be awarded to CG memebrs as well as civilians.

By the way, AF cut the good conduct medal just recently. Longevity is a good re-name for the red service ribbon. few of them could do with just new names.

MIKE

Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 06:55:40 PM
Anyone have the inside scoop on how often Auxies get real CG awards?

Everybody (Except me.) is getting the CGPUC for being affiliated with the CG during the dates of the citation.  There have been some other awards to the whole Aux at other times like 9-11, and such.

Some Auxies I know from District/Division just got some flavor of Team Award for working in support of a CG unit.  From the citation it seemed like they might be more apt to put Auxies in for these awards than they would for the Gold Side, a real nice thank you, really.  

Mike Johnston

Dragoon

Quote from: MIKE on January 22, 2007, 07:30:41 PM

Everybody (Except me.) is getting the CGPUC for being affiliated with the CG during the dates of the citation.  There have been some other awards to the whole Aux at other times like 9-11, and such.

Some Auxies I know from District/Division just got some flavor of Team Award for working in support of a CG unit.  From the citation it seemed like they might be more apt to put Auxies in for these awards than they would for the Gold Side, a real nice thank you, really.

As I posted, I've seen the unit citations on Auxies.  But how's about Coast Guard Achievement or Commendation Medals, the Coast Guard Medal or the Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon etc.?

Tags - MIKE

MIKE

Quote from: Dragoon on January 22, 2007, 07:37:03 PM
As I posted, I've seen the unit citations on Auxies.  But how's about Coast Guard Achievement or Commendation Medals, the Coast Guard Medal or the Commandant's Letter of Commendation Ribbon etc.?

There's the CG recruiting ribbon and the lifesaving medals, but I think that's pretty much it off-hand.

Edit: Linky
Mike Johnston