Main Menu

Shoulder Cords

Started by Dracosbane, November 27, 2011, 07:34:58 PM

Eclipse

Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 04:03:53 AMedit:  it sounds like the op is fishing for information based on a situation that has happened recently. 

Sounds like?

Heh...

Guaranteed he either wants to wear them on the BDU and someone said "no", or someone asked him and he wants to say "no".

"That Others May Zoom"

tsrup

And because I'd rather be right than maintain a single stance, I offer you all this gem.  According to this national doesn't believe in it's own regulations and we should expect further clarification in the next revision (not holding my breath).

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/445/kw/shoulder%20cord%20with%20bdus/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyMjQ1MzI4Ni9zaWQvYzRCYWFkS2s%3D

The relevant part is in red and towards the bottom.

Enjoy
Paramedic
hang-around.

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2011, 04:10:51 AM
Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 04:03:53 AMedit:  it sounds like the op is fishing for information based on a situation that has happened recently. 

Sounds like?

Heh...

Guaranteed he either wants to wear them on the BDU and someone said "no", or someone asked him and he wants to say "no".

Neither of those...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on November 28, 2011, 04:59:32 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2011, 04:10:51 AM

Sounds like?

Heh...

Neither of those...

Neither is relevant.   Knowledge base specifically says blues shirt or service coat only.  It may not be what I agree with or how I interpret the regulation myself, but it its what it is.
Paramedic
hang-around.

EMT-83

Once again, the KB is based on someone's opinion and not supported by any regulation.

Not that I disagree with that opinion, but it doesn't really carry any more weight than any of my opinions just because it's posted on the KB.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2011, 03:15:29 AM
There is no specification for wear of a cord with a field uniform, so until there is one, the point is moot.
There is no specification for wear of a cord with a short sleeve blues shirts either......so are you suggesting that cords are only authorised for service dress uniforms?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on November 28, 2011, 07:49:30 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 28, 2011, 03:15:29 AM
There is no specification for wear of a cord with a field uniform, so until there is one, the point is moot.
There is no specification for wear of a cord with a short sleeve blues shirts either......so are you suggesting that cords are only authorised for service dress uniforms?

Obviously not.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

tsrup

I guess keeping in the fact that the KB is non regulatory, any that despite the wording that they are going to fix 39-1 to include the blues only verbiage (not holding my breath).  CAPM-does at no point restrict shoulder cord wear to either the service or service dress uniforms.

Indiana wing currently only has supplements regarding shoulder cord wear in regards to the color guard uniform where it also lacks restrictions.  There is nothing stopping you from suggesting that that restriction be added to your supplements through your chain of command if (lets pretend) your supplement were up for comment.

Otherwise the regulation its as it is until NHQ changes it, and your supplement is as it is as well.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Ed Bos

FWIW, the Air Force uses shoulder cords to denote positions, such as aides, MTIs, Honor Guard members, etc.

Some Airmen assigned to the Air Education and Training Command wear blue shoulder cords to denote Military Training Leader positions to trainees, and wear them on the Blues, Service Dress Blues, and formerly on the Battle Dress Uniform. In addition, some trainee-supervisors (referred to as Ropes) wear green, yellow, or red shoulder cords, depending on their level of responsibility, while attending technical training. There are also trainees that wear white shoulder cords, or black shoulder cords, to indicate volunteer additional duties with the Chaplains' Office or membership on a Drill Team, respectively. These trainees also wear their shoulder cords on all these uniform combinations.

If a cadet were to ask me if they could wear a shoulder cord on the BDUs, I'd say, "Have at it, just not while participating on an ES activity or mission," since it may interfere with other equipment.

Image of Active Duty MTLs wearing their blue shoulder cords in duty uniforms: http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/100629-F-0000Z-002.JPG
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Salty

That would be correct.  When I was at USAF SAM the yellow and green ropes were in my class and the red rope was in the class ahead of mine.  They wore their ropes on blues and bdu's.
CAP Cadet 1989-1994
CAP Senior Member 1994-1995, 2011-current
USAF Aeromedical Technician 1994-1998

davidsinn

Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 09:52:46 PM
your supplement were up for comment.

Here's the deal: It is up for comment. Cords on all uniforms is in there. Some don't think that is a good idea. I tend to agree. I consider it a ceremonial item which should only belong on a dress uniform.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: davidsinn on November 29, 2011, 03:52:41 AM
Quote from: tsrup on November 28, 2011, 09:52:46 PM
your supplement were up for comment.

Here's the deal: It is up for comment. Cords on all uniforms is in there. Some don't think that is a good idea. I tend to agree. I consider it a ceremonial item which should only belong on a dress uniform.
And it seems that CAPM 39-1 as well as the Air Force would disagree.

I was at a squadron where a green cord was used to denote the cadet of the month.  Was a great tool to have. 

I do agree with the sentiment that the cords should be left at home while on mission, but otherwise I see no problem adding an incentive to get cadets to do a little extra, especially when all we're talking about here is a shoulder cord.

though on the other hand, even though it is authorized, I would mercilessly ridicule any one wearing a cord on a flight suit >:D /joke
Paramedic
hang-around.

GroundHawg

We wore Black Cords on our BDU/ABUs while I was on Base Honor Guard. Looked pretty good IMO.

SaBeR33

Quote from: Ed Bos on November 29, 2011, 03:15:57 AM
FWIW, the Air Force uses shoulder cords to denote positions, such as aides, MTIs, Honor Guard members, etc.

Some Airmen assigned to the Air Education and Training Command wear blue shoulder cords to denote Military Training Leader positions to trainees, and wear them on the Blues, Service Dress Blues, and formerly on the Battle Dress Uniform. In addition, some trainee-supervisors (referred to as Ropes) wear green, yellow, or red shoulder cords, depending on their level of responsibility, while attending technical training. There are also trainees that wear white shoulder cords, or black shoulder cords, to indicate volunteer additional duties with the Chaplains' Office or membership on a Drill Team, respectively. These trainees also wear their shoulder cords on all these uniform combinations.

If a cadet were to ask me if they could wear a shoulder cord on the BDUs, I'd say, "Have at it, just not while participating on an ES activity or mission," since it may interfere with other equipment.

Image of Active Duty MTLs wearing their blue shoulder cords in duty uniforms: http://www.goodfellow.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/100629-F-0000Z-002.JPG

You beat me to it. Having been to AF BMT and two training bases, I've seen my fair share of all of these and they look quite sharp when worn properly. However, it still doesn't clarify whether or not shoulder cords are authorized for wear on CAP uniforms other than blues since what CAP and Ma Blue do are still two very different things.

titanII

Um...    where are their covers?   ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

PHall

Quote from: titanII on December 04, 2011, 02:43:27 AM

They appear to be in an doorway and not outside. Don't need a cover there.

HGjunkie

There's a sunshade, s'all good.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

lordmonar

Um....they took them off for the blood photo.  :P
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

It's actually pretty common to remove headgear for outdoor photos. Sometimes, in photos you can't see people's faces clearly when wearing utility type caps because of the brim.