MAWG Encampment-best position for a C/SMS?

Started by Sgt. Papa, October 11, 2011, 10:12:36 PM

Sgt. Papa

Hey guys, i'll be staffing MAWG Encampment in 2012 and by then, i'll be a C/SMS, i've been debating whether or not to be a Flight Sergeant, a First Sergeant, or go for a support staff position such as Assistant to the Medical Officer or Admin. Can any experianced Cadets elaborate on this topic?

Tyler Palmer, C/A1C, CAP
   Element Leader, Essex County Composite

Eclipse

Have you completed an encampment as a basic cadet?  If not, that will be your only choice.

FYI - Cadet Senior Master Sergeant is abbreviated as "C/SMSgt".

"That Others May Zoom"

Chief2009

Also, don't assume you will hold the grade of C/SMSgt. Just because you have passed all the tests does not guarantee you will receive your promotion. Your commander has to approve that you are ready for the increased responsibility.

Two months and all tests passed means you are eligible for promotion, it does not mean you'll necessarily get it right away.
"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" — Unknown
Dan Nelson, 1st Lt, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Illinois Valley Composite Squadron GLR-IL-284

Huey Driver

Welcome to CAP/ CAPTalk!

It is pretty difficult C/A1C to C/SMSgt as quickly as you're thinking. I'm guessing you haven't been to basic encampment either, if I'm wrong correct me. Also, have staff selections even begun yet? This all seems like wishful thinking.

But whatever happens, good luck.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

MIKE

Text Messaging NCO.  ;D

Eagle Squadron, MAWG Encampment 1999... Man, I feel old now.
Mike Johnston

JC004

I wouldn't make any assumptions on that many promotions.  That's a lot.  Even if you pass all your tests on the first try like I did as a cadet, I still didn't breeze through in minimum time (even with a temp medical to give me a boost of not needing to do PT for a while).  Of course I had factors like being busy trying to cover for lack of SMs and fighting some not-so-kosher things done with promotions there, but I did fine and I still wouldn't assume blasting through that fast.  It may not even be a good idea to blast through unless you REALLY need to for leaving for college or something.  As an airman, I made assumptions about what I could get done and when (including non-promotion stuff) and I found out what happens when you assume.  I also started out into bling.  Ew.  Learned a lot in time.

Quote from: Eclipse on October 11, 2011, 10:31:59 PM
Have you completed an encampment as a basic cadet?  If not, that will be your only choice.

FYI - Cadet Senior Master Sergeant is abbreviated as "C/SMSgt".

Why is "abbreviated" such a long word?

DakRadz

I was a JROTC cadet who could promote twice as fast as the normal cadets. The rate to the Mitchell for normal cadets is 18 months, whereas I could have gotten it done in 9-12 technically. Guess how long it took me? 18 months.

No matter what your background is, flying through the Cadet Program won't help you. I went through at the maximum pace any cadet can, and still didn't get the kind of experience I wish I had. At one point, all of the leadership ideas and practices hit me at one time- after I stalled out as a C/2d Lt because I wasn't sure what to do now that I'd got there.

Also, as mentioned- you must go to a Basic encampment before ever applying as staff.

a2capt

Just because you did the test, and did the time, does not mean you are ready to advance.

Part of the Cadet Program is the growth it brings you. That more often than not, does not happen in the 8 week cycle. So you can blow through it, but like a road trip at 80MPH, you miss a lot along the way.

titanII

Cadet Palmer went a Basic Encampment- I saw him there this past July  :D.
As for which staff position you should apply to, just apply to all that interest you. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that grade matters too much in the selection process.
Hope to see each other on staff next year

No longer active on CAP talk

Spaceman3750

Eclipse

Are we ever going to hear from him again?

Quote from: titanII on October 12, 2011, 05:26:09 PMAs for which staff position you should apply to, just apply to all that interest you. I don't know for sure, but I don't think that grade matters too much in the selection process.

Grade does matter, especially for line staff roles.  Not all encampments can meet their grade recommendations for all positions, but it is always
a factor during the application process.

Generally First Sergeant is a Chief(ish) preference.

Flight Commanders should be officers, usually Captain or below, and the big 3 would preferably be Major's or higher.

C/SMSgt would be appropriate for Flight Sergeant, but not much higher than that.  Support staff is all over the road, so no telling
there what once CC would want versus the next.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Serving since 1987.

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2011, 07:37:48 PM
Grade does matter, especially for line staff roles.  Not all encampments can meet their grade recommendations for all positions, but it is always
a factor during the application process.
I'm sorry, what I said was rather vague. I meant that grade isn't the most important factor. (I would think that) being a good leader and a squared-away cadet is more important than grade. Given the option of a sharp, high speed C/MSgt or a dim-witted Chief, who do you think would be selected?
FWIW, there were Flight Sergeants that were C/CMSgt and C/TSgt at my encampment.

Edited: elaborated on my point

Eclipse

Quote from: titanII on October 12, 2011, 09:28:57 PMI'm sorry, what I said was rather vague. I meant that grade isn't the most important factor. (I would think that) being a good leader and a squared-away cadet is more important than grade. Given the option of a sharp, high speed C/MSgt or a dim-witted Chief, who do you think would be selected?

I agree to a point, including with your example above, but there are some areas where not being the proper grade is inappropriate, either because
of who else will be in ranks, or simply reaching too high.  I've literally had an A1C apply to be cadet commander, no matter how squared away he is that wouldn't fly.

We've also had cadets reaching too low.  Putting a Double-Diamond in as a Flight CC isn't really appropriate either, except in really rare cases specific to the   cadet.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt. Papa

Yes, i've attended basic, and if you all think i'm not ready for a more higher responsibility, then talk to someone from my squadron staff. at a recent NCO academy i went to, an Air Force 1st Lieutenant was impressed by me. Nobody impresses this First Lieutenant. Not to blow my own horn but that's what i heard from my Commander. to be honest, i know i'll be at least a C/SMSgt, and i know i'll be ready.

Eclipse

We don't know you either way, and you have no posting history to judge, so relax.  If you get the calendar and are qualified for the jobs, more power to you.

Impressing someone could just as well mean they were impressed with your abilities relative to your experience and grade.

make sure to check your PM's.

"That Others May Zoom"

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on October 12, 2011, 09:40:46 PM
I agree to a point, including with your example above, but there are some areas where not being the proper grade is inappropriate, either because
of who else will be in ranks, or simply reaching too high.  I've literally had an A1C apply to be cadet commander, no matter how squared away he is that wouldn't fly.
Exactly. There are [obviously] limitations to the idea.

Sgt. Papa

Eclipse, i'm not angry or anything, i'm just frustrated on why people automatically see the grade of C/A1C, and automatically think "noob". some people pick up on things quickly. sorry for the misconception.

-Tyler Palmer, C/A1C, Element Leader
Lt.Col. Antoinette D. Fischer, Essex County Composite Squadron
NER-MA-007

davidsinn

Quote from: ECCS4Life on October 13, 2011, 01:18:06 AM
Eclipse, i'm not angry or anything, i'm just frustrated on why people automatically see the grade of C/A1C, and automatically think "noob". some people pick up on things quickly. sorry for the misconception.

-Tyler Palmer, C/A1C, Element Leader
Lt.Col. Antoinette D. Fischer, Essex County Composite Squadron
NER-MA-007

I'm not thinking noob but I am thinking newb, as in newbie; not been around very long but has potential. A noob is someone that is unwilling to learn. I've met noobs that have oak leaves and more time in service than I have years on this planet.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Sgt. Papa

No, i see what you're saying, i may have only joined 6 months ago, but i know my stuff. quiz me on anything. i dare ya.