Main Menu

Considering CAP

Started by bmharold, September 06, 2011, 08:25:46 PM

bmharold

I've watched the CAP from afar for some time now and am considering joining as a Senior Member. I am currently active duty USN with less than 12 months remaining. If I do choose to join I won't be of much use to the squadron at Camp Allen as I will be in and out of port until the spring, but I am moving on back to college, and I want to continue to contribute to my community in a meaningful and of course, interesting way.

I am however concerned that the West Virginia Wing is not terribly well organized or even engaged at any level. I've had this same problem with other organizations in the state I've joined in the past such as the Independent Order of Oddfellows...

Any helpful words of wisdom, suggestions, demands etc you folks could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

coudano

Even in disorganized states, you can still find some gem units.
I'd look around when you get where you are going and see what there is to see.

RiverAux

Is that opinion on that Wing based on personal contact with members or just by looking at their web site?  From monitoring their newsletter over the years they seem to be pretty active. 

bmharold

I kind of want to get the paperwork and the training out of the way before I get home. A number of the senior members in the squadron I am talking to are Navy or former navy, one of which is the CO of an early warning squadron which is attached to my ship. Another is a reserve 0-5 and a former F-14 Tomcat RIO (now a self described power point hero). I imagine there is a certain amount of understanding there. b

I am not sure what specialty track I will pursue. I am trained in supply services, but work in logistics auditing, and my civilian profession was Barber...I took a locksmithing course..nothing terribly useful to the CAP. Always wanted to finish getting my PPL but I haven't been in anything other than an SH-60 in probably four years. I'd imagine my hours have since become useless...

bmharold

Quote from: RiverAux on September 06, 2011, 09:09:37 PM
Is that opinion on that Wing based on personal contact with members or just by looking at their web site?  From monitoring their newsletter over the years they seem to be pretty active.

Is the newsletter online? If so, that would be great. Not to judge a book by it's cover, but if you can't get your online presence together in this day and age you're already giving yourself a huge handicap in the public affairs department. I like the use of Wordpress and Facebook by the Coastal Composite Squadron here in HR. Accessibility is everything.

RiverAux

It has been on their wing web page though I haven't taken a look lately to see if a new one is out.

Unfortunately, volunteer organizations can't always maintain the web presence expected of all sorts of groups today.  If you don't have members with the right skills, its awfully hard to keep up. 

There is not going to be much training or paperwork that you've going to be able to do until you are active with a CAP unit.  Don't feel obligated to rush right into taking on some staff position.  First worry about getting yourself trained in whatever aspect of CAP that attracted you the most. 

Al Sayre

Welcome to the forum.  Go ahead and join and participate as much as you can, you get out of the organization what you put into it.   When it comes to flying, hours are hours, they don't expire.  You will probably need a few to get up to speed, but once you get going, you will be suprised at how fast it comes back.

This isn't aimed at you, but everyone who thinks they see a problem in their squadron, wing, national headquarters etc.  Remember that one of the reasons people join CAP is to help others.  Sometimes those others happen to be CAP members.  If you think a local squadron is too disorganized, or your wing is screwed up or the NB is out to lunch etc. , why not accept the challenge to do something about it.  Join the squadron, take on a wing staff position, advance yourself to a position where you can make the changes you'd líke to see and do what needs to be done.  If you want to fix a problem, you have to get close enough to turn the wrench.  If you aren't willing pick up the wrench, don't complain about the people who do.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Thrashed

There are some real "train wreck" squadrons out there. I've seen them. Join with the attitude that you will try to make it better (if they let you). It can feel like beating your head against the wall, but don't get discouraged. CAP has the potential to be a great organization at any level.

My squadron has a Navy Reserve Chief Petty Officer in our squadron. He does emergency services and communications. He has done a great job and has been a great addition to the squadron.

I wish you luck in whatever you decide.

Save the triangle thingy

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 06, 2011, 09:30:01 PM
This isn't aimed at you, but everyone who thinks they see a problem in their squadron, wing, national headquarters etc.  Remember that one of the reasons people join CAP is to help others.  Sometimes those others happen to be CAP members.  If you think a local squadron is too disorganized, or your wing is screwed up or the NB is out to lunch etc. , why not accept the challenge to do something about it.  Join the squadron, take on a wing staff position, advance yourself to a position where you can make the changes you'd líke to see and do what needs to be done.  If you want to fix a problem, you have to get close enough to turn the wrench.  If you aren't willing pick up the wrench, don't complain about the people who do.
What does a C/Sra(my cc won't let me take my drill exam!) do on wing? :p
In all seriousness, sometimes you can't do much. What can I do? Try and take over from a c/capt? I'd love to see that!!!
Make suggestions? Tried!
Talk to him privately? Did it, it did help some.

Oh, and welcome to captalk, you should join CAP.... ;)
It is still fun, even though my squadron stinks
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

bmharold

Well I honestly don't know what I want to do most. I think aerial observation sounds pretty cool, but at various times have toyed with the idea of getting my amateur radio license...maybe communications? I don't really care where I go it all seems pretty cool to me. I would probably be of the most use in logistics or admin..because that's what I do, but I would also like to expand my horizons a bit.

One of the things that worries me ATM is the cost of uniforms, equipment, and of course keeping the wife happy which means balancing the amount of time I spend doing CAP activities with the amount of time spent keeping her company.

bmharold

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 06, 2011, 11:28:16 PM
In all seriousness, sometimes you can't do much. What can I do? Try and take over from a c/capt? I'd love to see that!!!
Make suggestions? Tried!

I think our situations are slightly different, seeing as I can drive across state lines, buy rifles/shotguns, tobacco, alchohol, and purchase handguns, rent a hotel room, etc. In all seriousness though, you will get alot more of that in the DoD too man. I am not worried about incompetence persay so much as an overall lack of action...I don't want to play USAF dress up and chew the fat for three hours once a week...that is just as boring as sitting at home.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: bmharold on September 06, 2011, 11:35:38 PM
Make suggestions? Tried!

I think our situations are slightly different, seeing as I can drive across state lines, buy rifles/shotguns, tobacco, alchohol, and purchase handguns, rent a hotel room, etc. In all seriousness though, you will get alot more of that in the DoD too man. I am not worried about incompetence persay so much as an overall lack of action...I don't want to play USAF dress up and chew the fat for three hours once a week...that is just as boring as sitting at home.
I was grumping at al sayre. =p  >:D

It didn't have anything to do with the thread...  :-[

I know that I will run across these situations, but not all of them CAN be changed, and it isn't for lack of trying.  :'(

Just drop by the squadron a couple times, you will be able to get the general feel, and know if it is what you want. [Not serious --->] No obligations... No money down... (I can't type that with a straight face)But wait, theres more! If you join within the next 20 minutes, you'll get a cookie! 8)

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

bmharold

While I was lurking the forums over the past week or so I was wondering about the service dress. Can senior members still wear the old style service dress, and if so is there a reputable online supplier of such items? Maybe deserving of it's own thread, but just as convenient to ask here.

bmharold

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 07, 2011, 12:05:52 AM
Make suggestions? Tried!

I know that I will run across these situations, but not all of them CAN be changed, and it isn't for lack of trying.  :'(

Just drop by the squadron a couple times, you will be able to get the general feel, and know if it is what you want. [Not serious --->] No obligations... No money down... (I can't type that with a straight face)But wait, theres more! If you join within the next 20 minutes, you'll get a cookie! 8)

It can't possibly be as bad as active duty young Jedi. At least you can in principle at least leave of your own accord. LOL Go Navy!!! Hooyahh!

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: bmharold on September 07, 2011, 12:21:10 AM
Make suggestions? Tried!

It can't possibly be as bad as active duty young Jedi. At least you can in principle at least leave of your own accord. LOL Go Navy!!! Hooyahh!
Meh, at least you are a coastie (I hear the war drums of the coasties on here)

FYI, there is an edit button... jus' saying >:D

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Thrashed

[/quote]
I am not worried about incompetence persay so much as an overall lack of action...I don't want to play USAF dress up and chew the fat for three hours once a week...that is just as boring as sitting at home.
[/quote]

I've seen that too. I just step in and make it happen. For example, if you can't get emergency services training at your squadron, go somewhere else and get it. I did. You can train anywhere with anyone. You can get involved with other squadrons that you don't belong to. There is a lot of sitting around at my squadron every week.

Save the triangle thingy

Thrashed

Quote from: bmharold on September 06, 2011, 11:32:29 PM
One of the things that worries me ATM is the cost of uniforms, equipment, and of course keeping the wife happy which means balancing the amount of time I spend doing CAP activities with the amount of time spent keeping her company.

Don't spend a lot on uniforms, you don't need much. I have one set of BDU's, one set of blues (no jacket or tie!), and one polo shirt uniform to fly in. Keep it simple and keep it cheap. I don't do CAP everyday, so I don't need much. Don't buy any expensive equipment. If you need something that CAP won't provide, do a fundraiser and use squadron funds. CAP doesn't come first in my life or my kid's (two cadets in family). My family comes first, school, church, etc. I miss stuff on weekends if I'm at church or camping with my family.

Save the triangle thingy

bmharold

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 07, 2011, 01:08:00 AM
Make suggestions? Tried!

Definitely not a coastie. Puddle pirates don't have aircraft carriers.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: bmharold on September 07, 2011, 01:56:02 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on September 07, 2011, 01:08:00 AM
Make suggestions? Tried!

Definitely not a coastie. Puddle pirates don't have aircraft carriers.
Epic quote train.

My baddddd, it was a typo, I meant aren't. :-[

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Al Sayre

Make suggestions? Tried!

Granted that as a C/ SrA, your sphere of influence is limited.  You said that talking privately to your CC helped a little.  What else can you do?  Be the best C/SrA in your squadron.  Set an example for the other cadets.  Help the other cadets in your flight with their problem areas.  Be a mentor to cadets junior to you.  Promote as often as you can, and increase your sphere of influence.  As you become a more senior C/NCO and C/Officer, be your squadron's CAC rep - then you have a voice at wing.  Submit suggestions to the COC on ways to make things better.  Put up a suggestion box.  It doesn't happen overnight, but you can incrementally make small changes that affect more people than you can imagine.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787