United Airline Pilots to use iPad for Nav..

Started by bassque, August 23, 2011, 08:09:19 PM

mon876

Майор Хаткевич

mon876

??? dud that is what this whole article is about

lordmonar

Quote from: mon876 on September 15, 2011, 11:28:42 PM
??? dud that is what this whole article is about
No.  The article is about using the IPAD to replace the paper charts and manuals that the pilots are currently required to carry.

No one is suggesting that the the IPAD is using GPS to actualy fly the aircraft......that would be redundant and stoopid!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

dud that is what this whole article is about

Dude, did you read the article?

The primary reason for this is to replace the 38(ish) pounds of flight manuals with a 1.5 pound device...

...and Angry Birds, of course...

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on September 15, 2011, 11:56:47 PM
dud that is what this whole article is about

Dude, did you read the article?

The primary reason for this is to replace the 38(ish) pounds of flight manuals with a 1.5 pound device...

...and Angry Birds, of course...

They make moving map apps for the fruit pad. That would be handy in a cockpit.

You can get decent GPS signal inside of an aircraft. My phone got good signal tossed on the seat across from me in the Gippsland.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

SarDragon

Good signals aren't so easy to get inside an airliner. I take my GPS with me on trips, and it won't work unless it's right up against a window. The cockpit might be a little better, but I doubt it. And yes, I know that's not really relevant to the original discussion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Al Sayre

They make little bluetooth GPS receivers for just this purpose.  Stick it way out on the dash, you should get at least 6 satelites
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

davidsinn

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 17, 2011, 02:20:30 AM
They make little bluetooth GPS receivers for just this purpose.  Stick it way out on the dash, you should get at least 6 satelites

Active transmitter? Really?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Thom

Quote from: davidsinn on September 17, 2011, 03:52:01 AM
Quote from: Al Sayre on September 17, 2011, 02:20:30 AM
They make little bluetooth GPS receivers for just this purpose.  Stick it way out on the dash, you should get at least 6 satelites

Active transmitter? Really?
I'm not sure what your question means...

There are at least 3 models I know of that are battery-powered GPS receivers, with a bluetooth transmitter that links to an iPad to provide GPS info to ForeFlight and other GPS-aware iPad apps. They are all small enough to place on the glareshield for a clear view of the sky, as needed for good reception.

What was your question/point?

Thom

Thrashed

The iPhone and iPad Gps is not good enough. The add on GPS works great. I have the Bad Elf with Foreflight on my iPhone.

Save the triangle thingy

SarDragon

Active transmitter

That's the big worry on airliners - that transmitters will cause interference to aircraft systems. That's why telephones, most radio receivers, and other devices that might have oscillators with enough power to be detectable beyond a specific distance, are not permitted at all, or, if determined to be safe enough, are permitted only above 10,000 feet. A Bluetooth device fits into that category.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

davidsinn

Quote from: SarDragon on September 17, 2011, 07:34:51 AM
Active transmitter

That's the big worry on airliners - that transmitters will cause interference to aircraft systems. That's why telephones, most radio receivers, and other devices that might have oscillators with enough power to be detectable beyond a specific distance, are not permitted at all, or, if determined to be safe enough, are permitted only above 10,000 feet. A Bluetooth device fits into that category.

This.

A real tablet has a USB port that you can plug a GPS dongle into and not have an active transmitter inches from the avionics.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 17, 2011, 07:34:51 AM
Active transmitter

Blah, blah, blah.

I know some studies have shown narrow situations where on-board electronics might have caused "something", or might not.
The reality is that 1/2 the people on the plane don't shut off their phones, and most laptops have their wifi screaming for
a handshake the whole time they are being used.

Bluetooth in the cockpit is probably pushing it, but I seriously doubt anyone's Kindle is going to make an airplane fly off course.

Most of this is people-management in that you don't want a bunch of loose crap floating around the cockpit, and more so the average, oblivious,
once-a-year flyer would take 20 minutes to get off the darned plane if they didn't have to shut down until they were ready to leave.

Quote from: davidsinn on September 17, 2011, 02:01:29 PMA real tablet has a USB port
This goes without saying.

"That Others May Zoom"

Thrashed

My GPS plugs right into my iPhone, no USB needed.  8)

Save the triangle thingy