Scientists plan mission to blow up an asteroid 'hurtling towards Earth'

Started by keystone102, August 17, 2011, 04:37:07 PM

Eclipse

Yeah one more thing, um... none of them wanna pay taxes again.

...ever.

"That Others May Zoom"

PWK-GT

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2011, 04:43:58 PM
Yeah one more thing, um... none of them wanna pay taxes again.

...ever.
I volunteer to guard Liv Tyler! ;D
"Is it Friday yet"

Persona non grata

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

HGjunkie

*Cough* Am I the only one who noticed this is from the Daily Mail?  *cough*  :angel:
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

titanII

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 18, 2011, 01:09:11 AM
*Cough* Am I the only one who noticed this is from the Daily Mail?  *cough*  :angel:
I saw that too, proceeded to read the article, and then proceeded to shake my head and smirk.  ;D

Quote from: PWK-GT on August 17, 2011, 05:18:59 PM
Oh no, please don't remind me of that terribly scientifically inaccurate movie!!! ::)
;D
No longer active on CAP talk

MIKE

Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: titanII on August 18, 2011, 01:11:52 AM
Oh no, please don't remind me of that terribly scientifically inaccurate movie!!!

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Hey, it might have "issues" with the science, but it will kick the butt out of your 5.1 system!

"That Others May Zoom"

DC

titanII

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2011, 01:39:39 AM
Hey, it might have "issues" with the science, but it will kick the butt out of your 5.1 system!
;D That's true

spacecommand

Deep Impact followed a "tad" more believable storyline.

Of course there's a lot more science to blowing something up in space, blowing it up in space might actually make things worse.
Depends entirely on the composition, size etc of the object.

Another theory I like is, instead of blowing the thing up, pushing the object off course so it misses the Earth, though that doesn't sound as cool as blowing one up. 

Lots of research still needed.

SarDragon

Quote from: spacecommand on August 19, 2011, 09:50:31 PM

Of course there's a lot more science to blowing something up in space, blowing it up in space might actually make things worse.

Another theory I like is, instead of blowing the thing up, pushing the object off course so it misses the Earth, though that doesn't sound as cool as blowing one up. 

Exactly.

Watch a video of skeet or trap shooting some time. The destroyed bird's fragments maintain the same trajectory as before, because of the differences in masses. Simply shattering it with a big explosion doesn't reduce the mass, or have a great effect on the trajectory.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

titanII

Quote from: SarDragon on August 19, 2011, 09:59:22 PM
Watch a video of skeet or trap shooting some time. The destroyed bird's fragments maintain the same trajectory as before, because of the differences in masses. Simply shattering it with a big explosion doesn't reduce the mass, or have a great effect on the trajectory.
THANK YOU! I've always tried to explain why blowing up an asteroid wouldn't work, but never could really make a good point. Permission to use this metaphor in the future?

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Exactly.

This is where Deep Impact had things a bit better.  They wanted to split the object in half, each half passing on either side of Earth.  This obeys conservation of momentum, which is one of those rules you really can't ignore!  Now, the timeframe they had was wildly unrealistic and distorted to Hollywood specs, but the basic principle was not bad.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

blackrain

Quote from: DC on August 18, 2011, 01:41:54 AM
Quote from: MIKE on August 18, 2011, 01:27:42 AM
Quote from: PWK-GT on August 17, 2011, 05:18:59 PM

I volunteer to be an animal cracker.
+1,000

North or South????

I think my winds are favoring a landing on runway 18 with a rollout all the way to the far end >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

♠SARKID♠

I always thought the micro-gravitational pull solution was interesting.  Send a really heavy satellite out into deep space to meet up with the object, and park it right next to it on a parallel path.  Over time, the satellite's gravity pulls the asteroid a tiny tiny fraction off heading, which over a vast distance in space amounts to pulling the object off it's collision course.

SarDragon

Unless the added satellite is substantially more massive than the object you're trying to divert (not a trivial task), the paths would merely converge.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2011, 04:10:53 AM
Unless the added satellite is substantially more massive than the object you're trying to divert (not a trivial task), the paths would merely converge.

Unless the satellite is able to periodically use a thruster to maintain a constant distance.

davidsinn

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 12, 2011, 05:21:48 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 12, 2011, 04:10:53 AM

Unless the satellite is able to periodically use a thruster to maintain a constant distance.

The amount of energy needed to get the Δv required to lob an sufficiently massive object + fuel to an asteroid would be better spent just pushing the asteroid into a new orbit.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

tsrup

Quote from: JeffDG on August 19, 2011, 10:25:46 PM

Exactly.

This is where Deep Impact had things a bit better.  They wanted to split the object in half, each half passing on either side of Earth.  This obeys conservation of momentum, which is one of those rules you really can't ignore!  Now, the timeframe they had was wildly unrealistic and distorted to Hollywood specs, but the basic principle was not bad.

Isn't that what they wanted to do in Armageddon as well?
Paramedic
hang-around.