Orientation flights

Started by CAPSQDN102, July 09, 2011, 03:33:16 AM

CAPSQDN102

I have a cadets father that would like to become a senior member and fly one of our aircraft on an oriantation flight and teach the cadets about flying he has a comercial pilots license and he's doing a test for CFI, so what do you think should I let him fly

davidsinn

Quote from: CAPSQDN102 on July 09, 2011, 03:33:16 AM
I have a cadets father that would like to become a senior member and fly one of our aircraft on an oriantation flight and teach the cadets about flying he has a comercial pilots license and he's doing a test for CFI, so what do you think should I let him fly

Does he meet the requirements as laid out in the regs?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Short Field

And does he understand it is a "orientation" flight according to a syllabus and not five free hours of flight instruction?

Sign him up and let him start the qualification process to be a O'Ride pilot.  It is not that fast a road to a Fm 5 check ride.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

Hmmm... the original post looks like it was written by a cadet. But if it's for real:

Getting parents involved with CAP is (almost) always a good idea. Some of our most active and successful senior members have cadets in the program.

Like any other prospective pilot member, made sure that he knows the rules before signing on the dotted line.

a2capt

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on July 09, 2011, 03:39:44 PMLike any other prospective pilot member, made sure that he knows the rules before signing on the dotted line.

Cadet or no, he won't get approved as an o-pilot without wing approval.

Make sure he understands that it will likely be 6-months to a year before he is approved, assuming he has the minimum hours PIC.
Presumably a commercial working on his CFI would meet that, but you never know.

3-7. Classification of CAP Pilots

d. Cadet, Teacher and ROTC/JROTC Orientation Pilots.
(1) Current CAP senior member.
(2) CAP VFR Pilot at least 21 years of age (or have a valid FAA CFI certificate).
(3) For powered airplanes have 200 hours PIC time.
(4) For gliders have 100 flights as PIC or be a qualified CFIG.
(5) For ROTC/JROTC Orientation Pilots have 300 hours PIC time and completed the exam for "Orientation Pilot – Powered for ROTC". This exam will be taken every 4 years. (If over the 4 year limit, 60 days from the date of this regulation are allowed to retake the test.)
(6) For Cadet and Teacher Orientation Pilots complete the exam for "Orientation Pilot – Powered" if a power pilot and "Orientation Pilot – Glider" if a glider pilot.
(7) Satisfactorily complete a Cadet/Teacher Orientation Flight endorsement on a CAPF 5 within the preceding 12 calendar months and be designated in writing as an ROTC/JROTC or Cadet/Teacher Orientation pilot by the, region or wing commander, or their designee.

Those are the minimums, some wings have additional hoops.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 03:49:19 PM
Quote from: EMT-83 on July 09, 2011, 03:39:44 PMLike any other prospective pilot member, made sure that he knows the rules before signing on the dotted line.

Cadet or no, he won't get approved as an o-pilot without wing approval.

Make sure he understands that it will likely be 6-months to a year before he is approved, assuming he has the minimum hours PIC.
Presumably a commercial working on his CFI would meet that, but you never know.

3-7. Classification of CAP Pilots

d. Cadet, Teacher and ROTC/JROTC Orientation Pilots.
(1) Current CAP senior member.
(2) CAP VFR Pilot at least 21 years of age (or have a valid FAA CFI certificate).
(3) For powered airplanes have 200 hours PIC time.
(4) For gliders have 100 flights as PIC or be a qualified CFIG.
(5) For ROTC/JROTC Orientation Pilots have 300 hours PIC time and completed the exam for "Orientation Pilot – Powered for ROTC". This exam will be taken every 4 years. (If over the 4 year limit, 60 days from the date of this regulation are allowed to retake the test.)
(6) For Cadet and Teacher Orientation Pilots complete the exam for "Orientation Pilot – Powered" if a power pilot and "Orientation Pilot – Glider" if a glider pilot.
(7) Satisfactorily complete a Cadet/Teacher Orientation Flight endorsement on a CAPF 5 within the preceding 12 calendar months and be designated in writing as an ROTC/JROTC or Cadet/Teacher Orientation pilot by the, region or wing commander, or their designee.

Those are the minimums, some wings have additional hoops.

You did pick up on the part about this being a cadet's father, right?

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on July 09, 2011, 03:58:52 PM
You did pick up on the part about this being a cadet's father, right?

I meant "cadet or no" as to the poster, not the pilot.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

Quote from: a2capt on July 09, 2011, 03:48:17 PM
This could be them..
http://www.pawingcap.com/gp3/102/

Gee, it's really nice to see my old squadron doing so well.   ;D

scooter

I wonder about those that just want to be an Oride pilot and nothing else. If they aren't going to actually do something for the squadron, like take on a job, then I think they should be discouraged or just told no. Give the Orides to the people that put out the effort to support the squadron first. They earned the free flying.

PHall

Quote from: scooter on July 09, 2011, 08:26:25 PM
I wonder about those that just want to be an Oride pilot and nothing else. If they aren't going to actually do something for the squadron, like take on a job, then I think they should be discouraged or just told no. Give the Orides to the people that put out the effort to support the squadron first. They earned the free flying.

Many of the "ES" pilots won't fly cadet orientation flights. They don't want to be "bothered" with dealing with the "kids".
They joined CAP to fly Search and Rescue!!!

So if you get a guy who wants to fly orientation flights you hang on to them.
Pilot availability is one of the biggest reasons O-Flights get cancelled.

a2capt

I wish it was pilot availability.. it's been engine cylinders, magneto, 100 hour .. WX once, and .. oh, money. Several times, money. We've had to ditch o-flights about 8 times since January.

jks19714

I kind of wish that they gave an orientation flight to seniors.  I'm primarily a commo/IT guy, both by vocation and avocation, but it has been > 30 years since I've been in a light aircraft.  Seeing how they perform searches would be nice -- it's not very fulfilling to sit exclusively at one end of the commo pipeline.  My second SAREX I asked to work comms at the Wing end -- good experience.
"
I've only been in CAP for 4 months, so most of my SAR "expertise" comes from books and my 25 years in the volunteer fire service.  Lots to learn!

john
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Eclipse

Seniors can get O-Rides, but it would be on their own, the unit, or the pilot's nickel.  It's probably easier to go as aircrew ballast.

"That Others May Zoom"

jks19714

Quote from: Eclipse on July 09, 2011, 10:31:44 PM
Seniors can get O-Rides, but it would be on their own, the unit, or the pilot's nickel.  It's probably easier to go as aircrew ballast.

I doubt they need THAT much ballast on anything smaller than a C-17!   :o

We fly traffic missions pretty regularly for DELDOT, maybe I can qualify as a stowaway!
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

Spaceman3750

If there is transport time for the plane before picking up cadets can a senior near where the plane is based ride along on the "dead legs"?

Thrashed

Good question. SM's can ride in CAP aircraft, but the transport to o-flights is normally billed to the AF under orientation flights. Why would they allow a SM on an orientation mission number? I don't know the answer, but I'll ask up the chain.

Save the triangle thingy

davidsinn

Quote from: a2capt on July 09, 2011, 09:25:33 PM
I wish it was pilot availability.. it's been engine cylinders, magneto, 100 hour .. WX once, and .. oh, money. Several times, money. We've had to ditch o-flights about 8 times since January.

You're not in INWG are you? ;) That sounds a lot like what I'm fighting right now.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Thrashed

It's funny how everyone begs for O-flights when the plane is down, gone, or there is no funding. When we get flying, I have a hard time filling the seats with cadets! I can't get pilots either. Most quit CAP and the rest don't want to do O-flights. Some of us have little free time too.

Save the triangle thingy

davidsinn

Quote from: Thrash on July 10, 2011, 04:09:57 AM
It's funny how everyone begs for O-flights when the plane is down, gone, or there is no funding. When we get flying, I have a hard time filling the seats with cadets! I can't get pilots either. Most quit CAP and the rest don't want to do O-flights. Some of us have little free time too.

I've got the funding and the cadets but no airplanes or pilots. It's quite annoying.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn