Skirts at Encampment-

Started by Tags, June 28, 2011, 10:43:26 PM

Tags

Ok......i am very confused about something.  :P
At my regular squadron meetings i wear the Air Force Blue regulation skirt with regulation blouse, hose, flight cap and black pumps. I am filling out my application form for the 2011 MAWG encampment, and i noticed it does not mention a blues skirt on the Required Equipment List for Cadets......only 'Blues Pants (slacks)'. Is the skirt not allowed at encampment? Will i have to buy pants?

1LtNurseOfficer

It probably varies encampment to encampment.  Contact the encampment POC for questions.

SABRE17

if you end up needing blue pants Coastal Patrol 18 (19044) has a few in stock

cap235629

either is acceptable if they tell you different you have room to gripe. We had female cadets at the Arkansas wing encampment who wore them for religious reasons.  It is a very simple accommodation.  As there are no BDU skirts, there is no option there. 
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Persona non grata

I had the problem with the BDU thing so I got this as a nice alternative.  I wear it for heritage reasons.

Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Майор Хаткевич

I knew of a deeply religious family in AL CAP, and they had BDU skirts...

Persona non grata

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 29, 2011, 05:53:44 PM

Is that a JOKE or for REALIZE!! ?. If it is for real then we need to have a 90 page discussion in the uniform thread :D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

davidsinn

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 29, 2011, 06:14:51 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on June 29, 2011, 05:53:44 PM

Is that a JOKE or for REALIZE!! ?. If it is for real then we need to have a 90 page discussion in the uniform thread :D

We did tear it apart in a thread. There are pics I believe. Try searching for it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 29, 2011, 04:38:01 PM
I had the problem with the BDU thing so I got this as a nice alternative.  I wear it for heritage reasons.

There are Scotsmen in this world who will kill a man for referring to a kilt as a "skirt"...

"That Others May Zoom"

SABRE17

Two twins wore KILTS to my senior prom, although they are 110% Scottish. I gave them uber kudos, plus that was the deal, their mom paid for prom, they wore what she mad them wear haha.

Flyinsarge

My sister wore her skirt at encampment, so you'll be fine I am sure :).

capmaj

As your DCC is a former cadet..... try asking him.

Rowan

Quote from: eaker.cadet on June 29, 2011, 04:38:01 PM

Camo Kilt!  Love it!   :clap: ;D

Dad2-4

I understand not wearing BDU pants for religious reasons, but bastardizing the BDU uniform with a BDU skirt is not the way to handle the situation IMHO.
Either wear the uniform or wear suitable civilian clothes.

DC

Quote from: Dad2-4 on June 30, 2011, 11:32:29 PM
I understand not wearing BDU pants for religious reasons, but bastardizing the BDU uniform with a BDU skirt is not the way to handle the situation IMHO.
If Cadets and their parents have a serious religious/moral objection to wearing a standard, essential uniform then perhaps CAP is not the program for them. CAP regs allow for some accommodation when it comes to religious apparel (allowing for head coverings, for example), but there has to be a reasonable limit. BDUs don't come with skirts for a reason, they would be highly impractical in the field.

cap235629

Quote from: DC on July 01, 2011, 03:49:38 AM
If Cadets and their parents have a serious religious/moral objection to wearing a standard, essential uniform then perhaps CAP is not the program for them. CAP regs allow for some accommodation when it comes to religious apparel (allowing for head coverings, for example), but there has to be a reasonable limit. BDUs don't come with skirts for a reason, they would be highly impractical in the field.

which is moot at encampment.  There has been a long debate on how we can REQUIRE BDU's when we don't supply them as a rule.  If this cadet has a religious objection to wearing pants, why wouldn't you accommodate her?  I think they would have a huge advantage in a court of law as we are federally funded.....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

Tags

I was asking about the Blues uniform skirt lol. I got no beef with trousers, i just prefer the skirt with Blues.
I checked it out some more and found that they are allowed. Thanks for answering :)

(Oh and btw, BDU skirts are not included in the regulations, and anyone who wears them is out of uniform. )

DC

Quote from: cap235629 on July 01, 2011, 04:01:40 AM
Quote from: DC on July 01, 2011, 03:49:38 AM

which is moot at encampment.  There has been a long debate on how we can REQUIRE BDU's when we don't supply them as a rule.  If this cadet has a religious objection to wearing pants, why wouldn't you accommodate her?  I think they would have a huge advantage in a court of law as we are federally funded.....
How is it moot at encampment? I don't think it would be wise for a female cadet to rappel or run an obstacle course while wearing a skirt. Ironically, I think that would compromise their modesty much more than wearing pants would.

If a cadet insisted on joining I would accommodate them as best I could, but I would not allow participation in activities where the UOD was BDUs. Since so many activities are conducted in BDUs (and with very good reason, blues are not appropriate in all circumstances), I do not think the cadet would get as much out of CAP as they would another youth program that does not share CAP's stringent uniform regulations.

As for providing BDUs, if a cadet cannot obtain them on their own my unit does have a limited supply for issue. I am aware that that is not the case everywhere, but at least in my area it is not a problem.

Quote from: rrel on July 01, 2011, 04:09:20 AM
I was asking about the Blues uniform skirt lol. I got no beef with trousers, i just prefer the skirt with Blues.
I checked it out some more and found that they are allowed. Thanks for answering :)

(Oh and btw, BDU skirts are not included in the regulations, and anyone who wears them is out of uniform. )

We know, the discussion has deviated a little from your original question. To answer your question, you should be fine with a skirt, but it is best to check with the activity staff just to be sure. IIRC there were plenty of female cadets wearing skirts at the last encampment I attended.

Perez

Tags, I would definitely talk to your DCC about this. However, as a cadet who can speak from a previous year of experience, I can tell you that there were female cadets at MAWG 2010 wearing skirts. Weather or not there is any specific "wing" policy on this I can't say.
Train hard, train smart, and love life.

Hawk_Girl

Quote from: Tags on June 28, 2011, 10:43:26 PM
Okay......i am very confused about something.  :P
At my regular squadron meetings i wear the Air Force Blue regulation skirt with regulation blouse, hose, flight cap and black pumps. I am filling out my application form for the 2011 MAWG encampment, and i noticed it does not mention a blues skirt on the Required Equipment List for Cadets......only 'Blues Pants (slacks)'. Is the skirt not allowed at encampment? Will i have to buy pants?

I have been to seven encampments, spanning three different wings, 5 as staff and have either worn a skirt or seen skirts worn at every encampment. You should be good.

"The size of your success is measured by the strength of your desire; the size of your dream; and how you handle disappointment along the way." ~ Robert Kiyosaki