Undergraduate Pilot Fam Course

Started by Raja1020, December 27, 2010, 08:46:07 PM

Raja1020

Hello again this time I'm asking for some more info on the Undergraduate Pilot Fam Course in Texas. The page for it on CAP's site gave me no contact info, if anyone has an email or a phone number(PM) I would really appreciate it. Also, if any cadet has already been to this NCSA, how is it, would you recommend it?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Raja1020

DC

Quote from: Raja1020 on December 27, 2010, 08:46:07 PM
Hello again this time I'm asking for some more info on the Undergraduate Pilot Fam Course in Texas. The page for it on CAP's site gave me no contact info, if anyone has an email or a phone number(PM) I would really appreciate it. Also, if any cadet has already been to this NCSA, how is it, would you recommend it?
EDIT: I just saw that you were asking about Texas specifically. Consider the following an attempt to get you to consider Mississippi instead.

I attended the Mississippi course in 2009, I cannot speak for the one held in Texas, they are run by different people and from what I have heard are very different experiences. From what I have heard from people that have been to both, TX is more 'fun', but MS is more geared toward actually immersing you in a UPT-like environment and giving you a real taste of Air Force pilot training.

With the disclaimer out of the way... If you are in any way, shape, or form seriously considering a career as an Air Force pilot, you need to go to SUPTFC (the MS one!). You will get a very in depth look at what Undergraduate Pilot Training is really like. It an semi-academically intense course, there is a lot of information taught and tested, and you will spend several hours each night studying if you want to graduate. You will get to do a lot of cool stuff too, including several rides in a T-6 simulator, behind-the-scenes tours of the major parts of the 14th Flying Training Wing, and several opportunities to hang out with and talk to real UPT students, instructors, and some of the base leadership. If you are near the top of the class (the top 6 out of 30 in '09, including yours truly) in academic standing by the end of the week you will get a fairly long flight in a T-1 Jayhawk, which was beyond awesome. On my flight we did a low-level at 500 AGL through the mountains in Tennesse, I have heard other times they have done formation flights. Cool stuff either way. There is also plenty of fun, recreation type stuff to ease the strain of the academics, including a picnic, apool party, bowling, a trip to the gym/rec center at the MUW, etc.

It was a great experience and a lot of fun, and I would recommend it to anyone that is seriously interested in USAF aviation. To be honest though, if you aren't then you will probably think it's a waste of time.