Wing Conference Attendance Stories/Experiences

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 06:28:27 PM

keystone102

The central region of Pa Wing has less members than the east or west parts of the state. To get the eight conference rooms for free we must guarantee 100 rooms per night or pay a $4000 fee for the seminar rooms. Having the Pa. conference in the middle of the state makes it unfair for both the east and west parts of the state and helps us with the room count we need.

I'm sorry for the truly horrid temperature in the banquet facility. We had over 120 people register on site Saturday for the conference and the hotel lost the compressor directly above our banquet room as the dinner started.

The conference is not just for learning more about staff position but should also be used to meet the Wing Staff officer responsible for your duty assignment.

mikeylikey

Quote from: keystone102 on December 28, 2006, 07:57:54 PM
The central region of Pa Wing has less members than the east or west parts of the state. To get the eight conference rooms for free we must guarantee 100 rooms per night or pay a $4000 fee for the seminar rooms. Having the Pa. conference in the middle of the state makes it unfair for both the east and west parts of the state and helps us with the room count we need.

I'm sorry for the truly horrid temperature in the banquet facility. We had over 120 people register on site Saturday for the conference and the hotel lost the compressor directly above our banquet room as the dinner started.

The conference is not just for learning more about staff position but should also be used to meet the Wing Staff officer responsible for your duty assignment.

Why can't the Wing Conf. be held in the Pittsburgh area one year, the Philly Area the next and the central part the third?  In fact the location in the cnetral part of the state is only an hours drive to philly (not realy central is it!!!) while it is 5 hours to Pittsburgh.  How is that freakin fair??  That brings me to another point.....PAWG is so jacked up!  It is almost like the wing is broken down the center and there are two seperate wings.  The Wing Commander and almost the entire Wing Staff are from Philadelphia.  Once again it is not fair, and drives a wedge  between the East and West sides of the state.  Not to mention the almost non-existant support the West gets from Wing. 

All the money goes to support HAWK MTN, you guys are bleeding us dry!  Why can't NHQ run HAWK, why does it have to be the Wing?  HAWK MTN is a has-been program that either needs to be shut down, so we don't have to keep paying for it or new management needs to step in.  Have you ever been there?  CADETS and Seniors running around like they are better than everyone else.  I have been there, and to tell you the truth it sucks!  They build new cottages (waste of money) so that those who say "we stay outside all week long" actaully party and drink all week long while everyone else is on the mountain.  Its a joke, and my efforts from here on out will be to get the place shut down! 
What's up monkeys?

MattPHS2002

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 29, 2006, 03:14:50 PM

Why can't the Wing Conf. be held in the Pittsburgh area one year, the Philly Area the next and the central part the third?  In fact the location in the cnetral part of the state is only an hours drive to philly (not realy central is it!!!) while it is 5 hours to Pittsburgh.  How is that freakin fair??  That brings me to another point.....PAWG is so jacked up!  It is almost like the wing is broken down the center and there are two seperate wings.  The Wing Commander and almost the entire Wing Staff are from Philadelphia.  Once again it is not fair, and drives a wedge  between the East and West sides of the state.  Not to mention the almost non-existant support the West gets from Wing. 

All the money goes to support HAWK MTN, you guys are bleeding us dry!  Why can't NHQ run HAWK, why does it have to be the Wing?  HAWK MTN is a has-been program that either needs to be shut down, so we don't have to keep paying for it or new management needs to step in.  Have you ever been there?  CADETS and Seniors running around like they are better than everyone else.  I have been there, and to tell you the truth it sucks!  They build new cottages (waste of money) so that those who say "we stay outside all week long" actaully party and drink all week long while everyone else is on the mountain.  Its a joke, and my efforts from here on out will be to get the place shut down! 

Just to give you an idea of the non-existent help we get out here in the west, several years ago (about 4 as I remember it) I applied for ECI-13, I got the books as planned and applied for the test not long after to allow for college to get in the way as it would. Weeks go by and I never get the test, so I made a few phone calls one of them to the wing TCO and started asking questions, keep in mind that I was 125 miles from home taking a summer class at the time, I also informed him that my dad would be out in the Harrisburg area for something or other in the next week or so and that the TCO could either call me or talk to my dad.... still waiting for that phone call......
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

fyrfitrmedic

I don't know how long you've been in CAP in general and PAWG in particular, but I remember more than once seeing various attempts at rotating the PAWG conference locations on a yearly basis. These efforts ultimately proved somewhat less than successful, if memory serves.

I live and work in SE PA, not too far from the PA/DE border. It takes me approximately two hours to get to Harrisburg unless I decide to ignore traffic laws [which doesn't happen]. It takes me approximately six hours to make the Pittsburgh area. A 60-minute drive from here to Harrisburg would involve an average speed far enough above the speed limit to potentially warrant license revocation. you might want to double-check your guesstimates regarding driving times again.

Regarding the East v. West thing, this happens with every administration. When A.A. Milano was PAWG/CC for life back in the day, the eastern end of PA was neglected, as was just about everywhere not in the metro Pittsburgh area. I really can't speak for how the western end of the state is being treated because, with the exception of sporadic listserve posts and the PAWG newsletter, information doesn't seem to make it from west to east very effectively for whatever reason.

Yeah, I've been there - both as a student and as a staff member numerous times over the past 25 years or so. I'd be interested in reading/hearing something more specific [and less of a shrill rant] than the above, and some corroboration of your allegations would be useful as well. Even better, how about some constructive suggestions?

MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?