Wing Conference Attendance Stories/Experiences

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 06:28:27 PM

Major Carrales

I went to my First Wing Conference (Texas Wing) in 2000, basically by myself.  I knew absolutely no one and only another member of my unit went.  I attended the breakout sessions and other meetings...basically alone and left with lots of info, but no networking.

I went with my Cousin in 2003...so at least there would be someone I knew.  By then I had meet lots of people from around the Group but no one beyond that.

I  intend to go this April...I expect a few from my unit to go.

How best can a newby interact at a Wing Conference without feeling ackward and awed?  Any stories?  Suggestions?

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

davedove

I went to the Maryland Wing Conference in November.  Not only was it my first CAP conference, but I had only been a member for a few months.  Probably the best thing you can do is make sure you meet the wing officers for your specialty track.  Although, I will have to admit, I didn't do much more than just introduce myself.

I did have the advantage of a few other members from my unit attending, so I knew somone there.  Also, the guys from my unit knew some people from other units, so I got introduced to a few other people.

Even if you don't get any real networking done, you can at least meet a few new people.   That way, the next time you go there will be a few familiar faces.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Psicorp

Major,

If you're lucky enough to live around where the Conference is going to take place, I'd suggest offering your services in helping out with the organization, set-up, and take-down.   

This coming Conference will be my first, and since it's going to be held in the same town I live in, that's what I've done.   Members who fly in to the local airport will need transportation, items will need to be picked up, delivered, set up, etc.   No better way to meet people rather than to help out...beats just standing around at the Conference hoping to meet someone to talk with.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

bosshawk

Joe: I have attended a whole bunch of CAWG conferences over the years: about the last 5 in a row, since I am now on the Wing Staff.

My humble advice: join into discussions whenever you either have a question or a comment.  Doesn't matter a dime whether or not you know anyone.  Your participation is just as important as that of the Wing CC.  Go to the breakout sessions that appeal to you; listen to what is said; ask questions and make comments.  You have as much or more experience in CAP matters as many of those attending the conference.

There are usually lots of social gatherings: join them, introduce yourself and get into the group.  Your level of participation is up to you: do what you are comfortable with.

Paul
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Major Carrales

Quote from: Psicorp on December 15, 2006, 06:55:37 PM
Major,

If you're lucky enough to live around where the Conference is going to take place, I'd suggest offering your services in helping out with the organization, set-up, and take-down.   

This coming Conference will be my first, and since it's going to be held in the same town I live in, that's what I've done.   Members who fly in to the local airport will need transportation, items will need to be picked up, delivered, set up, etc.   No better way to meet people rather than to help out...beats just standing around at the Conference hoping to meet someone to talk with.

The 2005 Texas Wing Conference was in Corpus Christi...the Hurricane had delayed it until a bit later that it should have been.  I attached myself to the staff and handled the PAO work...mostly, but also manned the registration table with Capt Saddler of Victoria, Texas.

I had forgot to mention that conference...I guess since I didn't hit a single Breakout session as per trying to make the Conference run smoothly.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Major Carrales

Quote from: bosshawk on December 15, 2006, 07:08:54 PM
Joe: I have attended a whole bunch of CAWG conferences over the years: about the last 5 in a row, since I am now on the Wing Staff.

My humble advice: join into discussions whenever you either have a question or a comment.  Doesn't matter a dime whether or not you know anyone.  Your participation is just as important as that of the Wing CC.  Go to the breakout sessions that appeal to you; listen to what is said; ask questions and make comments.  You have as much or more experience in CAP matters as many of those attending the conference.

There are usually lots of social gatherings: join them, introduce yourself and get into the group.  Your level of participation is up to you: do what you are comfortable with.

Paul

Thank you for the advice, Paul.  the first time I went I was a bit awed by seeing Colonels and the like.  People who's names I had only seen in WINGS over TEXAS and CAP NEWS.   Since I didn't know anyone and no one knew me I was a bit lost.

Pity  they don't have a "FIRST TIMERS" meeting breakout session early in the conference, at least everyone there would be on equal footing.  Sort of like a "Class of __________" where people new to CAP could network with peers, then network with BIG WIGS...then sort of maintain the communication from then on.

I plan to see how many CAPTALK (Texas) people I can meet at that sort of thing.

Thanks,

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

mawr

The Alabama Wing CC has initiated a Open Commanders Call to all Wing membership on a quarterly basis for 3/4th of the year with the Wing's Conference acting as the fourth.

These Open Commanders Calls are one day meetings similar to a conference less the breakouts.  All information is given to the membership, et al.  Add in a chance to socialize along with plenty of information and everyone has fun.  And if the units come in CAP vans and planes, part of the travel expenses are reimbursed by Wing. 

It is hoped that communication from wing staff to the membership will be increased and additionally, those who would be put off by our Wing Conference will now be willing to attend because they will now have met people and not feel out of place at a Conference.

We just completed our second such meeting last weekend and it was a success though attendance was somewhat less than the first.  We feel that the time of year has something to do with this though and are excited to conduct the next one in June as our Wing Conference is at the end of March.

Last years conference was subsidized by donations from corporations and the entire conference (two nights stay at hotel, Commanders Barbeque, conference and banquet) cost my wife and I about $100 though those who waited to the last minute didn't get much of a discount.  Our Conference Committee is hoping to repeat this for our 2007 Conference and with luck, this will increase attendance. 

In the end, attendance is what's  important as it doesn't matter how good the information made available at the Conference,  if you aren't there to recieve the information then the effort is moot.  I also am a big believer of socializing, breaking bread together.  I believe there is much good in knowing your fellow Cadets and Officers beyond CAP and your Wing Conference is a great time to do this.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

bosshawk

I certainly would second the suggestion of a breakout session for newcomers: our wing is so big that we tend to forget about the newbies attending the conference.  I can see that such a session would be beneficial to the new guys.  We, too, have a general open session at the Wing Conf, but only once a year.  With over 3,000 members it is hard to get more than a pittance at the Conference: never mind trying to do it in different parts of the state.  For example, we are lucky to get 10 percent of our members to attend the conference.

sounds like you have a good approach, Joe.  Have at it and have fun.

Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

carnold1836

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 06:28:27 PM
I went to my First Wing Conference (Texas Wing) in 2000, basically by myself.  I knew absolutely no one and only another member of my unit went.  I attended the breakout sessions and other meetings...basically alone and left with lots of info, but no networking.

I went with my Cousin in 2003...so at least there would be someone I knew.  By then I had meet lots of people from around the Group but no one beyond that.

I  intend to go this April...I expect a few from my unit to go.

How best can a newby interact at a Wing Conference without feeling ackward and awed?  Any stories?  Suggestions?

Joe,

This will be my first conference with CAP. My plan is to assist as best I can with the cadets since that is my track. Also because my squadron is somewhat of a co-host with Phantom Senior Squadron I will probably very busy, probably hearding cats...errr....cadets to and from Muster Days. I highly suggest coming out to Camp Mabry during Muster Days and see some really great exhibits of Texas military history. I'm lucky though I have never met a stranger and can talk to anyone and not intimidated by anybody. I've served drinks to several star generals at TXANG confrences before so no bigs there. Jsut jump in and interact.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Major Carrales

Quote from: bosshawk on December 16, 2006, 12:44:04 AM
I certainly would second the suggestion of a breakout session for newcomers: our wing is so big that we tend to forget about the newbies attending the conference.  I can see that such a session would be beneficial to the new guys.  We, too, have a general open session at the Wing Conf, but only once a year.  With over 3,000 members it is hard to get more than a pittance at the Conference: never mind trying to do it in different parts of the state.  For example, we are lucky to get 10 percent of our members to attend the conference.

California and Texas, and probably ALASKA, have the same sorts of Logistical issues in making these things attendable.  I am sort of shocked that the CAL WING Conference is sparcely attended.

The NEWBIE specific breakout session might take a chunck out of the AIMLESS WANDERING I did at the WING CONFERENCE the first time I attended.  At the very least one might meet a friend in that session and not have to go it alone.

Could I assume that California CAP is more...Group Centered or Squadron Oriented?  Do Group and Wing officers visit unit more frequently?

Thanks for the well wishes.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

fyrfitrmedic

With few exceptions, I've found PAWGs conferences to be both constructive and reasonably enjoyable. After all these years and given my family's longtime involvement in CAP, it's no surprise that such events have the feel of a family reunion anymore.

I'd have attended this year's PAWG conference, but I had a bit of a schedule conflict with a wedding - my own...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Chappie

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 16, 2006, 08:41:21 AM
Quote from: bosshawk on December 16, 2006, 12:44:04 AM

California and Texas, and probably ALASKA, have the same sorts of Logistical issues in making these things attendable.  I am sort of shocked that the CAL WING Conference is sparcely attended.

The NEWBIE specific breakout session might take a chunck out of the AIMLESS WANDERING I did at the WING CONFERENCE the first time I attended.  At the very least one might meet a friend in that session and not have to go it alone.

Could I assume that California CAP is more...Group Centered or Squadron Oriented?  Do Group and Wing officers visit unit more frequently?

Thanks for the well wishes.

The CAWG Conference begins with a "no-host" reception.  This is a great time for old-time members to introduce "newbies" to others.  I make it a point of trying to introduce new members within the CAWG chaplain service to others in the Chaplain Service as well as in Cadet Programs and Emergency Services.  This helps to forge a connection between the names they read in the wing e-mails and events. 

I have been attending CAWG Conferences for a few years now.  Both Col. Larry Myrick and Col. Virginia Nelson have worked at making the conferences worthwhile to attend.  Their efforts have proven successful in that it is hard to find a facility to host the conference (rooms for break-out sessions, etc.).  The concluding banquet is always maxed out. 

The location of the conference oftern determines the number of attenders.  The yearly conference is conducted a various locations throughout the state to encourage as many as possible to attend since the state of California is large and demands a lot of driving time.  In recent years the location of the conference has been in Concord, Fresno, Bakersfield, Ontario, Santa Maria, Newport Beach/Irvine,Sacramento.  Average attendance has been a little over 300. 

Participation in the break-out sessions is a great way to meet others who are involved in the same specialty tracks or interests.  During the breaks in between session is a good way to engage others in conversation and to get better acquainted.

To answer Major Carrales' question about the Group or Squadron centered/orientation...depends upon the Group.  The location of the group in which I reside in encompasses an area that demands a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive one way between squadrons.  It makes visitation of squadrons difficult during the week, if one has to work.

Having been on both Group and Wing staffs, e-mail has been one of the most efficient way to keep in communication within the CAWG.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

bosshawk

I certainly concur with Chappies comments on the CAWG Conferences.  I went to one or two in my early years in CAP(mid-90s) that were absolute wastes of time and money.  Most of the conference was spent on the Wing Staff giving themselves self-congratulations for a job superbly done.  In more recent years, both Wing CCs that you mentioned have done a great job making the conferences useful and fun.

The biggest problem with attendance is the distances involved: CA is nearly 800 miles from north to south.

From my limited experience, Groups that I have belonged to(2 or them) have made little or no effort to get people together on any regular basis.  Oh, yeah, they have commanders calls, but those are usually non-productive and certainly not social.  Also, as Chappie points out, distances are tough: the Group that I just left is probably 200 miles north to south.

Don;'t have any easy solutions.  My previous advice to Major Carrales still stands.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SarDragon

Well, here's a check-in from SoCal. I, too, echo the commentary on the quality of the recent conferences. I attended two in Santa Maria, and one in Ontario, and was impressed with all three. Going to Sacramento had too many cost and time constraints involved.

The only advice I can offer is to avoid any tendency to "shoot from the lip". Know your audience before being too critical about something, it may come back to bite you. BTDT; no shirt.

As for group-/squadron-centric, we have a pretty decent balance in my group. It's about 100 miles between the two most distant units, but Grp HQ is up in the north end of our geographical area. My unit is almost 100 miles from HQ, so getting to the usually useful f2f Commander's Calls can be a struggle. Most months there is just a conference call that works very well for most business.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MattPHS2002

I also attended this years PAWG conference and, other than the dinner being an absolute nightmare rather enjoyed myself, I just wish they'd rotate them through the state so we don't end up in Harrisburg every year.

I didn't attend any of the breakouts because none looked particularly interesting  enough to warrant me sitting there and most likely getting bored anyway.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

fyrfitrmedic

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 27, 2006, 10:16:58 PM
I also attended this years PAWG conference and, other than the dinner being an absolute nightmare rather enjoyed myself, I just wish they'd rotate them through the state so we don't end up in Harrisburg every year.

At various times over the past quarter-century or so there have been attempts at rotating the PAWG conference; turnout has historically dropped considerably when the conference was moved from a central location.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

mikeylikey

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on December 28, 2006, 12:31:52 AM
Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 27, 2006, 10:16:58 PM

At various times over the past quarter-century or so there have been attempts at rotating the PAWG conference; turnout has historically dropped considerably when the conference was moved from a central location.

It always seems that wherever the Wing HQ is located, the confrence will be nearby.  That is a real bummer to those that have to drive 5 or 6 hours. 
What's up monkeys?

MattPHS2002

Thats what people have said but it matters not:) I've got the two I need and unless it comes back this way or I have some other reason to go odds are I won't.
1Lt Matt Gamret

SarDragon

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 28, 2006, 01:01:53 AMIt always seems that wherever the Wing HQ is located, the confrence will be nearby.  That is a real bummer to those that have to drive 5 or 6 hours. 

It's just as bad or worse here in CAWG. The short drives from the ends of the state are 5 - 6 hrs to a central site, and when it's not in central CA, 13 hr drives are common.

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 28, 2006, 02:28:03 AM
Thats what people have said but it matters not:) I've got the two I need and unless it comes back this way or I have some other reason to go odds are I won't.

Well, then you're depriving yourself of significant benefit. I have learned a lot about the aspects of CAP that I participate in at our conferences, have gotten up-to-date info on the state of the wing, and have met some great folks from the other parts of the wing that I might not see otherwise.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MattPHS2002

Generally I would agree with you but the 4-5 hour drives aren't worth it to me, plus the cost of the hotel, I may go again but I doubt it will be next year, maybe the year after, I will most likely never attend the dinner again though cause while not quite h#%% on earth it was pretty close.

That and I was hoping to get 2Lt epaulet's and as usual Vanguard didn't have one of the (IMO) most commonly needed rank insignia and yet I could pick up the Major one's for the TPU for a member of Group Staff
1Lt Matt Gamret