Air Force Tech Schools...

Started by NCRblues, September 01, 2010, 07:12:50 PM

If the Air Force were to offer SM's  the opportunity to attend portions of the Tech Schools related to your specialty tracks, would you attend?

Yes
No
Maybe
Don't Know (Explain)

NCRblues

This question is based on a hypothetical thought.  Just trying to see how much interest there is in bettering our organization on the Senior level.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

coudano

mc_delta

As a cadet that will be transitioning over to the Senior Member program in the next couple of years, I do believe this sounds like a fantastic idea.  I would see it as a great experience to learn what I need to learn for my position in CAP.  Attending a tech school would also allow for the uniformity of Senior Member training. 
"What some folks call impossible is stuff they haven't seen before."

NCRblues

Quote from: coudano on September 01, 2010, 07:30:19 PM
on whose dime, meh...

Like i said earlier, this is just a hypothetical. This is an idea that was floated by some SM's and active duty members at a local meeting. The logistics have yet to be figured out, just wanted to gauge support.

RiverAux

In general I would be interested, but that would depend an awful lot on how much of the curriculum would be applicable to CAP use and the duration of the school.  I could see CAP members finding any public affairs and historian classes potentially helpful and maybe a few others.

DBlair

I believe the USCG Aux does this to a certain extent, and are provided a number of funded slots to these schools. As a CGAux member, I remember reading about the various opportunities, and some sounded quite interesting.

...now if only I could get them to send me to scuba or jump school. lol  :P
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

lordmonar

I think the AFIs and regulations already allow for that....if the individual is willing to pay for it and there is room for the the training pipe line.

That said.....there is probably not a lot of empty seats and who has the money for the 6-8 weeks most tech schools take.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MICT1362

Quote from: lordmonar on September 01, 2010, 08:25:31 PM
I think the AFIs and regulations already allow for that....if the individual is willing to pay for it and there is room for the the training pipe line.

Cite Please.

AirDX

Quote from: MICT1362 on September 01, 2010, 08:34:28 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 01, 2010, 08:25:31 PM

Cite Please.

AFI10-2701

3.18.1. Space Available Training Opportunities. All CAP members may, at their own expense,
attend training programs offered at DoD Installations. FTCA/FECA does not extend to this activity.
Such training will be offered for CAP personnel on a space available basis at no additional cost to the
Government. CAP-USAF/CC and the training activity commander must approve the request prior to
CAP participation. Examples of such programs include aerospace physiological training in accordance
with AFI 11-401, Aviation Management, CISM training, etc..
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: AirDX on September 01, 2010, 09:35:42 PM
Examples of such programs include aerospace physiological training in accordance

What...?  No special operations or Security Forces training?   >:(

>:D

NCRblues

^ the group that put this idea together did not have that kind of training in mind. We were more thinking along the lines of logistics, flight ops, PAO, ext.... and even then only for portions of the Tech schools. (I.E. our PAOs don't need the 2 weeks the AF spends on "PA and military law" or "PA overseas training")

DBlair

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on September 02, 2010, 12:18:08 AM
Quote from: AirDX on September 01, 2010, 09:35:42 PM
Examples of such programs include aerospace physiological training in accordance

What...?  No special operations or Security Forces training?   >:(

>:D

I guess my scuba or jump school hopes are out as well. lol
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: NCRblues on September 02, 2010, 12:22:02 AM
^ the group that put this idea together did not have that kind of training in mind. We were more thinking along the lines of logistics, flight ops, PAO, ext.... and even then only for portions of the Tech schools. (I.E. our PAOs don't need the 2 weeks the AF spends on "PA and military law" or "PA overseas training")

I'm well aware that those types of schools aren't within the realm of necessity (or even feasability) for this program.  It was all in jest, hence, the  >:D

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DBlair on September 02, 2010, 01:00:36 AM
... jump school hopes are out as well. lol

At the risk of derailing the thread, airborne school is highly overrated although the curriculum is fairly straightforward:

Week 1: Separate the men from the boys
Week 2: Separate the men from the fools
Week 3: The fools jump

By the way, I am a 1988 graduate of that particular course at the Benning School for Wayward Boys.

We now rejoin your regularly scheduled discussion thread already in progress.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

RickFranz

Funny this should come up.  I was a Admin NCO in the USAF, and to think my first rating was in Admin.  At least it gives you a view of how the USAF runs things.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

vmstan

MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

MICT1362

So, Im guessing something like this:

Logistics Officer- Logistics Tech School
Administrative Officers-Admin Tech School
Chaplains-Chaplain Corp Trainig Program
Cadet Programs- Instructor School (Cadence, Drill, C&C Portions ONLY)
Public Affairs- PAO Tech School
Operations Officers- PJ (GSAR portion ONLY!)
Plans and Programs- Plans and Programs Course
Comm Officer- Comm Tech School
Transportation- Transportation and Vehicle Maintenance
Supply Officers- Supply Tech School
Historian- Historian Tech School
IT Officers- Cyberspace Support Tech School
Finance Officers- Finance Tech School

If I'm wrong NCR please correct me.

PhoenixRisen

Quote from: MICT1362 on September 02, 2010, 07:15:33 PM

I'd be all over that...  *drool*

</nerd status>

sarmed1

I think from a continuity stand point it would be hard to pick and choose the class portions you need to attend at an official tech school.  What is more realistic, and much more cost effective; CDC's:  basically the either online or hard copy self study courses all airmen do for their respective jobs after the completion of tech school in order to meet the 5 level skill requirement.  (the same way CAP officers can enroll in SOS, ACS etc etc)

Also there a number of on-line/computer based training courses that the various agencies of the AF run that would be useful to CAP members.  I have in the past coordinated access to the USAF med-learn training site for HMRS medics to complete the contingency public health course; one or two told me they took some of the other courses offered as well.   Basically they need to be sponsored into DEERS as a contractor (DEERS enrollment is required for eligibility verification)  the rest is up to the member.

Its an area you should look at; all of the CDC are on the Air University page. 

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SJFedor

Quote from: MICT1362 on September 02, 2010, 07:15:33 PM
So, Im guessing something like this:

Logistics Officer- Logistics Tech School
Administrative Officers-Admin Tech School
Chaplains-Chaplain Corp Trainig Program
Cadet Programs- Instructor School (Cadence, Drill, C&C Portions ONLY)
Public Affairs- PAO Tech School
Operations Officers- PJ (GSAR portion ONLY!)
Plans and Programs- Plans and Programs Course
Comm Officer- Comm Tech School
Transportation- Transportation and Vehicle Maintenance
Supply Officers- Supply Tech School
Historian- Historian Tech School
Finance Officers- Finance Tech School

If I'm wrong NCR please correct me.

Why would a CAP Operations Officer go to PJ training? Even just the GSAR portion, what benefit would that give a Ops Officer? You may want to take a look at 20-1 and the description of what an Ops Officer does...

An ES officer, on the other hand, maybe could use it, but even that's a stretch.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)