Information for New Cadets

Started by CAP428, November 28, 2006, 09:58:57 PM

CAP428

If you were to list the things that absolutely new cadets needed to know and be introduced to in the simplest, most basic form, without going into huge detail just to jump start their involvement, what would you include?

I stress once again, this should not cover every faction of information needed for the Curry or every thing they can learn.  This would only be a general introduction.

This is what I have come up with:

-Overview of Cadet Program (history, program today, purpose)

-Chain of Command

-Customs and Courtesies

-Uniform wear

-Professionalism/Military Bearing

-Basic Drill

-Followership

Once again, these would be generally covered, not too much detail.   Comments, suggestions?

What are the basic things new cadets should be introduced to?

Pylon

Quote from: CAP.gov/cadets
CADET ORIENTATION COURSE (CAPP 52-9, formerly CAPP 50-9) 
New and prospective cadets need to know what the Cadet Program is all about if they are to be successful in CAP.  This optional course provides a synopsis of CAP's history, missions, the duties and privileges of cadet membership, and a basic overview of the Cadet Program.   Reference: CAPR 52-16, 2-2a.
Cadet Orientation Course Materials

Lesson Plans: Camp Curry Training Weekend

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAP428

I know that that exists.  I've read it several times.  That's not what I'm asking.

I want to know your opinion on what new cadets should know as a general introduction, not what NHQ has produced.

Last time I checked, not everybody is always happy with the way NHQ does things *ahem*, so I want to know what YOU ALL as members would like to see cadets taught from the beginning.

Al Sayre

How about:

A list of where to buy items like BDU's, Boots, Field Gear and the other myriad of accessories every new Cadet wants.  Local Surplus stores and internet links, including who has the best prices and fastest shipping. 

A list of SME's for different CAP related areas to help them answer their questions.

A telephone list for their chain of command and an explanation of how to use it.

An explanation and demonstration of e-Services.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DNall

Quote from: Pylon on November 28, 2006, 10:12:05 PM
Quote from: CAP.gov/cadets
CADET ORIENTATION COURSE (CAPP 52-9, formerly CAPP 50-9) 
New and prospective cadets need to know what the Cadet Program is all about if they are to be successful in CAP.  This optional course provides a synopsis of CAP's history, missions, the duties and privileges of cadet membership, and a basic overview of the Cadet Program.   Reference: CAPR 52-16, 2-2a.
Cadet Orientation Course Materials

Lesson Plans: Camp Curry Training Weekend
That's actually a pretty good start. I'm more often then not one of those that isn't satisfied w/ the product NHQ gives me to work with. It always seems they're chasing the least common denominator & not doing justice to the outstanding young people I work with or challenging anyone to push themselves. I like the idea of using this program & enhancing it with DnC/CnC taught to precision standards. You can also take a look at the ALS program from Texas CTEP at http://www.texascadet.org/programs/ctep/als/ That's a program designed to take people that have been thru the NHQ version w/ the typically crappy instructors & bring it together in the right way w/ some extra content.

Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking. There's certinaly a lot of information any new member needs & those resources are out there. I'd try to get a section of my Sq website dedicated to that purpose - which I've yet to get around to. I'd put the ATG up there for training philosophy, the Gorilla guide for uniform wear off the NHQ/CP section of their website, a brief on eServices, a brief on the chain of command that explains for the outsider who to go to for what problems & how to go about talking to them w/o getting in trouble. A couple of activity packing lists might be helpful to look over & post an expedited version of. I'm not sure what you're looking for really.

Chappie

Since the CAPR 52-16a requires that the introduction to CAP's Core Values be completed in the form of "Ground School" (Lesson 1 in "Flight Time" - Values for Living) as part of Achievement 1  (CAPR 51-16a; 2-5; e (1), I would recommend that this lesson be taught in the Cadet Orientation Course. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

CAP428

Quote from: DNall on November 29, 2006, 05:46:45 AM
Otherwise I'm not sure what you're asking.

I just wanted to know what members would want cadets to know first thing.  Basically, if you had to brief a cadet in 2-3 hours about all of CAP in general, what basic things would you cover?

Essentially, since we already have a Cadet Orientation Course, "What would you add, subtract, or change from the current Orientation course?"

DNall

Well an orientation course, be it the one we have or something more profound like the CTEP-ALS I recommened above (which is exactly what would be added), should be over a full weekend, or spread out over a month. Other than that, there is a recruiting shpeal. I don't really see where anything comes between the two, certainly not a 2-3hr brief/course on anything in particular. I guess what I'm saying is I'd love to answer your question & probably have some good resources for you, but I don't understand the purpose or objectives of what you're talking about. If you can help me to understand what you;re talking about, why it needs to be done, and what you hope to accomplish... then I'm sure I can get you what you need.

CAP428

I don't really need anything in particular.  It was just curiosity.  In other words, if you were telling a new cadet about CAP, something that would be more than just a "prospective member brochure" and less than the full orientation, what would you tell them/introduce to them?

Basically, an overview of the things that could be covered in the orientation but without going into them too deeply just yet.

DNall

I see. To me that's a recruiting schpeal. I may give a brochure out, but that's to take home & mostly so they have the website to go do theri own looking. Honestly about half the peopel that just show up now days have already looked into it.

You CAN tell them some VERY brief history - Sub patrol WWII, Civil Defense cold war, SaR/DR/HLS today w/ some examples... cadet roles in ES, couple examples of exciting AE activities recently in your area or unit, flying opportunities, last couple activities you've done, Cadet Program - military aspects, uniforms, how progression works (testing/PFT), NCSAs & scholarships avail after they've proven themselves enough to compete, previous cadets from this unit are now at the academy/scholarships/in the service, etc.

Manage expectations though so they are excited enought o join, but understand it will come slow (as in over a period of years) & they'll have to earn every bit of it just like the rest of us, BUT make them understand you want them as a teammate - emphasize team/being a peer in the group/etc.

20-30mins tops & I can do it effectively faster if need be.

I wouldn't go deeper than that. The next step for them will be to attend an orientation/basic course, which may be right away or may be after a few weeks in the program. The first session of that course will be the intro to cadre & what will be covered, that's probably more what you're thinking about - check the slides & such out of that ALS, it's all there.