Carrying on the Basic PC topic.

Started by Майор Хаткевич, April 06, 2010, 02:35:46 AM

Майор Хаткевич

I've purchased an HP Mini 210-1010NR, which is basically your standard 1gig Ram/250GB harddrive netbook.

Cost was $300, and it does more than enough for college/work/even some gaming (pre-2002 games that is!).

My fiancee has a similar Dell, which can be upgraded to 2 gig ram.

Cost for hers was $350, but it had some extra features.

The only draw back on the entry models is the fact that they lack a cd-drive, and your options are:

Put the software on a flash drive
Put the software in a different PC, and network the cd-drive.
Purchase an extarnal CD-Drive.

I personally used my network and my laptop to get software onto the netbooks.

CadetProgramGuy

I also decided to purchase a Netbook about 6 weeks ago, a HP.

Not liking the absence of the CD drive and the touchpad is very touchy, other than that I like it a lot.

BillB

eBay can be your friend. You can find external CD-RW drives for almost any brand of computer including Macs. On the Dell you can find DVD-CD drives that install internally for less than $40. One problem you may find, many USB ports don't have enough voltage to support an external drive.  A neighbor bought a Dell D600 on eBay which has a CPU speed of 1.6 gig, put in 2 gigs of memory a DVD-RW/CD-RW drive, bought a floppy drive 1 180 gig Hard drive and a new battery as a spare. (the floppy slides into the same slot as the DVD drive) Total cost $225. The D600 had ethernet port as well as an internal 56k modem
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Eclipse

Few people really have a need for a CD drive these days - I use mine maybe 10-15 times a year, and rare is anyone using them
daily.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2010, 01:58:50 PM
Few people really have a need for a CD drive these days - I use mine maybe 10-15 times a year, and rare is anyone using them
daily.

^ You need it initially to load up any software you may have, but most software now can be downloaded off the internet and then you simply input your key codes. The problem does come up with gaming, as most games require a CD to run, in which case you end up getting a No-CD patch.

The touch pad >IS< touchy, but that is because the right/left click buttons are part of the actual pad. It's all good if you're used to removing your finger from the pad, or using the double tap on the pad to "click" things.

P.S. Much better than an iPad too! I have multi-app functionality, wi-fi or wireless from a carrier >I< choose (or don't!). I can just as easily read books on it, and I can have just about 4-5X "stuff" than any iPad can hold.

MIKE

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 06, 2010, 02:23:22 PMThe problem does come up with gaming, as most games require a CD to run, in which case you end up getting a No-CD patch.

Not so much anymore.  Most newer games only require the DVD for the install, and that is if you buy a boxed copy versus a digital download.  Usually have to have an internet connection though.

You guys will be using these computers for CAP business right... and to browse CAP TalK?
Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on April 06, 2010, 03:49:11 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on April 06, 2010, 02:23:22 PMThe problem does come up with gaming, as most games require a CD to run, in which case you end up getting a No-CD patch.

Not so much anymore.  Most newer games only require the DVD for the install, and that is if you buy a boxed copy versus a digital download.  Usually have to have an internet connection though.

You guys will be using these computers for CAP business right... and to browse CAP TalK?

Mine has all the CAP Regs/Pubs/Pamfs/Etc on it...as well as typing this here on captalk!