G1000 transition training: how is your wing doing it?

Started by Mustang, March 17, 2010, 08:36:22 PM

Mustang

I'm curious to know how other wings are conducting G1000 transition training. Please be specific. Don't just say "in accordance with the regs", as the regs (and the corresponding Cessna FITS syllabi) are annoyingly vague and IMHO inadequate for CAP's needs.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

heliodoc

Previous Wing I was with did a quarterly session with pilots to include refreshing just the buttonology, going over the routes VFR or IFR for the scenarios based portion, review of the MFD/ PFD and its assorted systems and failures, etc.  Two Stan Eval type IP / CFI's had handouts and had the patience of a saint

Then there was towing the 182 onto the ramp with a GPU and more review of buttonology

Then was flying prior to Form 5's and lots of head in and head movement pushing the buttons

REPEAT approx every quarter

The Wing I am in NOW....GOB's  ...no established training program unless one can FIND a CFI who is not with a GOB to fly..... G1000 training in whatever form is sorely LACKING.  Almost entirely on an individual to, for lack of better terms, nag someone to institute a training program.

I am not holding my breath.

How does your Wing do it?   Or is suffering the traditional CAP, we'll just see how this works method(s) of new technology instruction?

Mustang

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Short Field

Quote from: heliodoc on March 17, 2010, 08:50:01 PM
GOB's  ...no established training program unless one can FIND a CFI who is not with a GOB to fly..... G1000 training in whatever form is sorely LACKING.  Almost entirely on an individual to, for lack of better terms, nag someone to institute a training program.

Gee!  Didn't know you were in my wing!!! 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

heliodoc

sparks

My wing doesn't have a specific G1000 program either. It's left up to the squadron or group who has the G1000 equipment to do the training. Requests to wing have mediocre success getting training. Biggest problem is access to the equipment to stay current since squadrons have qualified pilots but don't have the G1000 nearby. Some have bought the King G1000 CD course to use as a system refresher.  Not necessarilly a GOB problem.

heliodoc

^^^

Maybe not a GOB issue...

BUT definitely a NHQ Stan Eval issue when these aircraft arrived on scene

We can say the same about our FBO flight school brothers........but you know what?   With CAP's expertise in all things flight...this is where they SHOULD have stepped up to the plate to show everyone how its done...after all, we are THE Air Force Aux and we are the "holders of the largest Cessna fleet in the nation."

You get my drift?....LEADERSHIP

FastAttack

I know this is an older thread but ,

We did a FITS ground school which took all day.. I was brain fried , but having the sim at home worked great.
Then flew with a CAP G1000 instructor and did the FITS scenario flights.. I am VFR only so I only did the VFR scenarios.

As a supplement our wing conduced several refreshers courses and FITS ground school SAR entry methodology at conference.

Thrashed

I did the ground school.  Not many instructors and check pilots around to finish the process.  Plane sitting in the hangar. I'll fly it someday.

Save the triangle thingy

bosshawk

Had an interesting email from our Wing DOV the other day.  Seems that Cessna is willing to send a G1000 team to the National Board, to be held in San Diego over Labor Day Weekend, and give the complete G1000 Ground School to CAP members,  FOR FREE.  They need 40 people to COMMIT by 15 May in order to make it happen.  The key word is COMMIT, not just show interest.

Of course, you get to spend airfare, hotels and meals in order to get the FREE course.  I expect to be safe and sound in Central CA during that weekend.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

A.Member

If there were enough G1000 planes, then it'd be an issue to address.   

However, there are so few planes available and the requirements for use are so restrictive that the issue a non-starter for most.   Sure, a person could take a class and learn the G1000 but if you're not using it enough it'll be a waste of time.   In addition to the availability of planes, there are two other main issues that need to be adddressed:

1.  Proficency:  It's one thing to get trained, actually being able to maintain proficiency is something different altogether.  This leads to... 
2.  Cost:  The difference in rate between a G1000 equiped plane and a steam-guage one is enough that only a very small number of members are going to seek it out. 

Until those issues are addressed, you're likely to spin your wheels with training.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DG

Quote from: Thrash on April 24, 2010, 04:13:23 PM
I did the ground school.  Not many instructors and check pilots around to finish the process.  Plane sitting in the hangar. I'll fly it someday.

Thrash,

I will fly with you.

My schedule is such that I can fly with you just about anytime.  But I prefer weekdays.

I am a factory trained CFAI, so that will qualify you for Instructor Pilot privileges, per CAPR 60-1.

Mustang

Quote from: A.Member on April 25, 2010, 06:20:35 PM
2.  Cost:  The difference in rate between a G1000 equiped plane and a steam-guage one is enough that only a very small number of members are going to seek it out. 
What wings are charging a different rate for G1000 than steam gauge?  Mine doesn't.  Same rate as before the glass birds started showing up.

bosshawk

CAWG doesn't charge any more for a G1000 than is charged for a steam guage 182.  A 182 is a 182.  Now, the points about keeping up your proficiency are spot on: I know folks who went through the training, took the F-5 and are not in a Sq that has one, so they have to travel to stay proficient: it seldom works.  I would suggest that those who are in a Sq with a G1000 bird jump through the hoops and the rest either stay home or stay with a regular guage airplane.  The Sq 65 miles down the mountain from me is getting one and I have no intention of flying it.  I will stick with our Sqs 206.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Thrashed

Sure a 182 is a 182, but one costs (value is) four times more.  My wing has a 182 price, not 182 & 182 NavIII.  It's $100.50.  The 206 is $125.50.  The Maule is only $88.00 and has the same engine & fuel burn as the 182!? Either way, its a one hour + drive to the nearest CAP aircraft for me.

Save the triangle thingy

davidsinn

Quote from: Thrash on April 26, 2010, 08:57:34 PM
Sure a 182 is a 182, but one costs (value is) four times more.  My wing has a 182 price, not 182 & 182 NavIII.  It's $100.50.  The 206 is $125.50.  The Maule is only $88.00 and has the same engine & fuel burn as the 182!? Either way, its a one hour + drive to the nearest CAP aircraft for me.

Is that wet or dry?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

bosshawk

I suspect that the price quoted is wet.  I believe that the dry price is set by Reg 173-3, but Wings are allowed to increase that for valid reasons like hangar rent, parking fees, etc.  I think that the current rate for a 182 is $36, plus fuel(don;t hold me to that rate, because I seldom fly a 182). 

Thrash: I, too, drive 50 miles to the nearest CAP airplane, a 206.  Of course, owning my own plane helps me keep current.  If I had to depend on flying a CAP aircraft to maintain currency, I would likely not bother. Your value computation is seemingly subjective: I wouldn'
t pay a nickel more to fly a G1000.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

davidsinn

Quote from: bosshawk on April 26, 2010, 10:04:01 PM
I suspect that the price quoted is wet.  I believe that the dry price is set by Reg 173-3, but Wings are allowed to increase that for valid reasons like hangar rent, parking fees, etc.  I think that the current rate for a 182 is $36, plus fuel(don;t hold me to that rate, because I seldom fly a 182). 

Thrash: I, too, drive 50 miles to the nearest CAP airplane, a 206.  Of course, owning my own plane helps me keep current.  If I had to depend on flying a CAP aircraft to maintain currency, I would likely not bother. Your value computation is seemingly subjective: I wouldn'

I was going to say I thought I heard $36 tossed out at my o-rides. Those are some nasty rates though. I paid $4.07/gal 100LL for my orides and it worked out to be around $50ish per hour just for fuel for a G1000. The 172s I used where quite a bit cheaper.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

mynetdude

Quote from: davidsinn on April 26, 2010, 10:24:08 PM
Quote from: bosshawk on April 26, 2010, 10:04:01 PM

I was going to say I thought I heard $36 tossed out at my o-rides. Those are some nasty rates though. I paid $4.07/gal 100LL for my orides and it worked out to be around $50ish per hour just for fuel for a G1000. The 172s I used where quite a bit cheaper.

I helped  pay for fuel for our squadron who couldn't afford to put fuel in the pre-G1000 plane for cadet orides... that was the most expensive fueling I've paid for (and I got reimbursed through the PIC) but it was $119 for the 2 hours with all the cadets we did.

Now the G1000 has replaced that plane, I was told that it takes the same fuel type and quantity but it burns a little more fuel than the older one does. Don't know if the rate is higher or lower than the old pre G1000 182.

Now as far as what our wing does, well... GOB and if you don't have money you don't get your proficiency but we have two qualified personnel in the southern half who can fly the aircraft for SAREX and ES and orides everybody else is out of the loop because they don't want to pay for the 25hrs required to be qualified and given a F5 on it.

There are a number of people up north who are qualified, not sure how many but we still have some of the older planes as well.

Eclipse

Quote from: mynetdude on April 26, 2010, 10:47:18 PM
I helped  pay for fuel for our squadron who couldn't afford to put fuel in the pre-G1000 plane for cadet orides...

Why isn't the USAF paying for those o-rides?

"That Others May Zoom"