Main Menu

Cadet specialty tracks

Started by FNelson, April 23, 2018, 05:58:50 PM

FNelson

I recently learned that there are a certain number of specialty tracks that cadets are allowed to attain ratings in. But there are some questions I have that I have not been able to find answers for. What rating level are cadets attain (technician, senior, or master), which of the specialty tracks are we allowed to pursue, are the requirements the same as they are for senior members?
C/2d Lt. Forest Nelson
Santa Fe Composite Squadron "Flying Tigers"
"A legacy of Honor"

Holding Pattern

It is my understanding they can attain the badges for the rating but not actually achieve the rating until they become a SM.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

TheSkyHornet

Specialty Tracks are a component of the senior member Professional Development program (CAPR 50-17).
http://captalk.net/index.php?action=post;topic=23142.0;num_replies=2

LSThiker

Quote from: FNelson on April 23, 2018, 05:58:50 PM
I recently learned that there are a certain number of specialty tracks that cadets are allowed to attain ratings in. But there are some questions I have that I have not been able to find answers for. What rating level are cadets attain (technician, senior, or master), which of the specialty tracks are we allowed to pursue, are the requirements the same as they are for senior members?

Yes Cadets can earn the specialty track badges. It is:
1). ES
2). Comm
3). History
4). IT

The requirements are all the same for cadets as with seniors. The exception being specific items to the SM program, such as Level1.

Cadets cannot earn the specialty tracks as that is only reserved for SMs. You only earn the badge. As far as what level depends on the track. For ES and history, it is only the basic badge. For Comm, you can earn up to master. I am not sure for IT. It is basic badge only for IT.

The requirements are found in the respective specialty track pamphlets.

Now that I am at a computer, here are the quotes:
Quote from: CAPP 223Cadets may serve as a Cadet Historian under a senior member Historical Officer.
This does not fulfill a staff duty analysis requirement. Cadets can earn the Basic
Historian Qualification Badge (Technician Rating Badge) if they can complete all
of the requirements for the Technician Rating, but they cannot officially receive
the Technician Rating until they become a senior member and complete the
required time as historian or assistant historian as reflected in eServices as well
as any other task requiring it be completed by a member holding the duty
position of historian or assistant historian.

Quote from: CAPR 100-14.7. Cadet Eligibility for Communicator Badge/Patch. Cadets are encouraged to pursue each level of the communicator badges. To do so, cadets must meet all the training requirements listed in the appropriate section of CAPP 214 with the exception of the portions specifically intended for the senior member training program. If a cadet authorized to wear a communications badge or patch subsequently transfers to Senior Member status, badges/patches earned as a cadet may continue to be worn for up to 4 years; however, remaining requirements of CAPP 214 must be completed at each level in order to qualify as holding the actual Technician, Senior, or Master levels of the specialty track. See CAPP 214 for the approval process for cadets.

Quote from: CAPR 35-6a. CAP Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge: Complete all requirements of CAPP 213, Emergency Services Officer-Specialty Track Study Guide, Technician Rating. Cadets can earn the Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge as they can complete all of the requirements for this rating, though they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until they become a senior member.

Quote from: CAPP 227
Cadets who serve as Cadet Information Technology
Officers (C/ITO) are not eligible to earn the IT specialty
rating. However, those cadets who serve in this capacity for a
minimum of one year and complete the required duties may be
authorized to wear the basic IT Specialty Badge for the duration of
their cadet membership upon approval of their wing commander
(authority may be delegated). The authority to wear the badge
may be documented by completion of a CAPF 2a, Request for and
Approval of Personnel Actions, and retained in the cadet's personnel
file. The wear of the badge as a cadet does not translate to the
earned technician rating once a cadet becomes a senior member.
Cadets who become senior members will need to complete all of
the requirements established at the time that they complete the
training as a senior member.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: LSThiker on April 23, 2018, 07:07:28 PM
Quote from: FNelson on April 23, 2018, 05:58:50 PM

Yes Cadets can earn the specialty track badges.

The OP didn't ask about badges. He asked about ratings. Cadets can earn the badge. They cannot earn the rating until becoming a senior.

So to clarify:
You can complete the training. You can receive the badge. You are not rated in a Specialty Track until transferring to senior membership, at which time you can assume the rating earned* (from the work performed during your time as a cadet).

*Pending completion of any outstanding stipulations

Long story short:
Cadets do not earn ratings. You will not hold a rating as a cadet. You can earn the brass but not bear the title.

LSThiker

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 25, 2018, 03:05:13 PM
The OP didn't ask about badges. He asked about ratings. Cadets can earn the badge. They cannot earn the rating until becoming a senior.

If only I had said that:

Cadets cannot earn the specialty tracks as that is only reserved for SMs. You only earn the badge.

Quote from: CAPP 223Cadets may serve as a Cadet Historian under a senior member Historical Officer.
This does not fulfill a staff duty analysis requirement. Cadets can earn the Basic
Historian Qualification Badge (Technician Rating Badge) if they can complete all
of the requirements for the Technician Rating, but they cannot officially receive
the Technician Rating until they become a senior member
and complete the
required time as historian or assistant historian as reflected in eServices as well
as any other task requiring it be completed by a member holding the duty
position of historian or assistant historian.

Quote from: CAPR 100-14.7. Cadet Eligibility for Communicator Badge/Patch. Cadets are encouraged to pursue each level of the communicator badges. To do so, cadets must meet all the training requirements listed in the appropriate section of CAPP 214 with the exception of the portions specifically intended for the senior member training program. If a cadet authorized to wear a communications badge or patch subsequently transfers to Senior Member status, badges/patches earned as a cadet may continue to be worn for up to 4 years; however, remaining requirements of CAPP 214 must be completed at each level in order to qualify as holding the actual Technician, Senior, or Master levels of the specialty track. See CAPP 214 for the approval process for cadets.

Quote from: CAPR 35-6a. CAP Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge: Complete all requirements of CAPP 213, Emergency Services Officer-Specialty Track Study Guide, Technician Rating. Cadets can earn the Basic Emergency Services Qualification Badge as they can complete all of the requirements for this rating, though they cannot officially receive the Technician Rating until they become a senior member.

Quote from: CAPP 227
Cadets who serve as Cadet Information Technology
Officers (C/ITO) are not eligible to earn the IT specialty
rating. However, those cadets who serve in this capacity for a
minimum of one year and complete the required duties may be
authorized to wear the basic IT Specialty Badge for the duration of
their cadet membership upon approval of their wing commander
(authority may be delegated). The authority to wear the badge
may be documented by completion of a CAPF 2a, Request for and
Approval of Personnel Actions, and retained in the cadet's personnel
file. The wear of the badge as a cadet does not translate to the
earned technician rating once a cadet becomes a senior member.
Cadets who become senior members will need to complete all of
the requirements established at the time that they complete the
training as a senior member.