Feedback for quarterly news show

Started by BFreemanMA, March 08, 2018, 08:16:11 PM

BFreemanMA

Hello CAPTalkers,

After stepping down from command about a year ago, I've been assigned as our unit's PAO. Part of my goals involved creating a regular nightly news-style show that we could release to the public and let them know what's been going on - but in a bit longer and more in-depth format than a few pictures and a blurb could show.

After several months, I've finished our first episode and I'm looking for feedback from the CAP community at large: What do you like about the format? What would you recommend I change? Do you have any advice for a PAO who took a couple TV classes 10 years ago at college to improve his style?

I'd welcome any and all feedback. Thank you very much for your time!

Link is here:  https://tinyurl.com/y8tmsygf
Original Facebook release post is here: https://tinyurl.com/y7o8uzxx
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

kwe1009

Overall, a great idea and if you can keep it up it could be a great recruiting and retention tool.  Some constructive feedback: The intro music is a little much and it looks like you are wearing a green t-shirt with your ABUs (could be my monitor though).  You may need to get some better microphones as some segments sounded like they are in a bucket.

BFreemanMA

Kwe, thanks for the feedback! I'll have to scour the royalty-free areas of music to find something a bit more tame.

The shirt color does look off, although it wasn't at the time. I wonder if my white balancing had anything to do with that. Achieving a consistent look and sound across the program was a battle for me, but I'll look into it further!

We also shot it on a smartphone without any microphones (the things we could do with more money!) so I'll aim to make getting some nice lavaliers our next priority. And maybe a proper video camera!

Thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers. I appreciate it very much!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

etodd

Quote from: BFreemanMA on March 08, 2018, 08:16:11 PM

Part of my goals involved creating a regular nightly news-style show ....

After several months, I've finished our first episode ...

Ummmm   ;)

Joking aside, you are off to a great start!  My initial comment is to streamline, edit tight and get it under 5 minutes. The general public will not watch all of this one to the end.  Yes, all of the information in this video could easily be edited down to 5 minutes. Ask the interviewees the same questions over and over until they get their answer down to a quick sound bite, instead of a long rambling answer.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

BFreemanMA

Hey, regular just means at a regular time...maybe those 'regular times' are months inbetween?  >:D

Kidding aside, good point about the length, and I agree. I'll take all these notes and bring them back to my commander and "production team" for next time!
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer

Fester

Hey, that's a nifty documentary about our 358 different uniform combinations but you missed the BlueDU's and the Blazer combo!

Kidding aside, well put together.  The only feedback I have is that the sound balancing seems a bit off to me and the length is too long.  But fantastic job!
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

West MI-CAP-Ret

Quote from: BFreemanMA on March 08, 2018, 08:16:11 PM
Hello CAPTalkers,

After stepping down from command about a year ago, I've been assigned as our unit's PAO. Part of my goals involved creating a regular nightly news-style show that we could release to the public and let them know what's been going on - but in a bit longer and more in-depth format than a few pictures and a blurb could show.

After several months, I've finished our first episode and I'm looking for feedback from the CAP community at large: What do you like about the format? What would you recommend I change? Do you have any advice for a PAO who took a couple TV classes 10 years ago at college to improve his style?

I'd welcome any and all feedback. Thank you very much for your time!

Link is here:  https://tinyurl.com/y8tmsygf
Original Facebook release post is here: https://tinyurl.com/y7o8uzxx

Did you say nightly?  That might be a very hard sell and you'll run out of things to talk about.  HOWEVER, although I believe they've stopped, but I've listened to the Maryland Wing's monthly podcasts, from a few years ago, because they havn't produced a show since 2014.  I found this link that was on the internet: http://www.podcasts.com/civil_air_patrol_today .  You can get some helpful ideas on subjects to discuss, and it's really exciting to get cadet involvement whenever possible.

The Maryland wing is not doing these podcasts, but back-in-the-day before podcasts, the Wing PAO used to do these types of interviews on Sunday mornings on a local AM radio station (which for Maryland, covered the entire state and then some).  With the internet, what you're thinking of doing could be great for recruiting, but I fear trying to do something like this nightly (unless I misunderstood) would either be too time intensive, or you'd run out of material and fast. 

I'm excited about what you're trying to do.  Sadly, recruiting really hasn't been a problem with CAP.  It's the retention part.  Kids/teens go to YouTube, look at all the great things we're suppose to be doing, then when they find a unit, the cadet leadership are not too excited about trying or doing things and after three to six months, we lose the cadets and most of the equipment we loaned/issued them with the understanding they have to give it back... but I digress  :-\
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)