Long live the 'Hog!

Started by Panache, December 16, 2013, 09:55:39 PM

Panache

Bill Blocks Air Force from Retiring A-10 Warthog

QuoteThe bipartisan defense budget that passed through the House Thursday includes strict language mandating the Air Force not execute any plans to retire the A-10 Warthog. The legislation specifically blocks the Air Force from spending any money to divest A-10s through calendar year 2014.

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Welsh has said the service needs to retired older, single mission aircraft like the A-10 in order to reserve funding for newer aircraft like the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, which is slotted to take over the A-10's close air support role.

UH60guy

That's great to hear! I always get irritated when I hear arguments the alleged jack-of-all-trades F-35 will be able to fill that role. The A-10's one of the infantryman's best friends out there. When you see dust kick up and a few seconds later hear that "BRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAP" you know you're in good hands. "Surgical" air-to-ground missiles/bombs from the F-35 just can't compete.

All the services are going through reduction pains. What kills me (as an Army guy) is we're horrible at telling our story, and have no big sexy acquisition platforms (I think 47 states with registered voters make F-35 parts). Meanwhile the USAF and USN sell the line they can win a war with billion dollar platforms and a big red "push to win war" missile launcher button. Sure, we may prepare for the Pacific pivot and a state-to-state conflict while saying we'll never do counterinsurgency again, but never forget the enemy has a vote on whom the next war is with. "Low" tech single mission platforms like the A-10 will excel if/when another ground slog breaks out.
Maj Ken Ward
VAWG Internal AEO