Government Shutdown impact to CAP?

Started by Papabird, September 25, 2013, 05:25:21 PM

SunDog

Sounds like we have cancellations, slowdown/partial shut-down in progress in my Wing. Sqdn meetings  may take place, depending on locations, I guess. Gone real quiet. . .

Going to a simulator for instrument currency, do some yard work, etc. I can use the time off. . .

PHall

My unit meets on a small military installation that has just about totally shut down.
Should be interesting to see if the Department of the Navy Civilian Police officers let us on base for our meeting tonight.

MacGruff

Got lots of notifications in my Wing from various levels in it. Had the regular meeting with cadets and our safety briefing as normal yesterday. We're on a county airport site, so no military impact to us. Our airplane is away for its 100 hour maintenance period so we had no orientation flights or major exercises scheduled for now anyway.

In other words, so far, nothing!

Phil Hirons, Jr.

RI Wing's CI 4 - 7 Oct was postponed today to a yet to be decided date.

Slim

Had no problem getting into our Army Reserve center last (Tuesday) night.  The lights were still on, the gate and door codes still worked, everything was ops normal.  Only difference was a few less cars in the parking lot.

I'm sure most of the civilians and military full timers aren't working, but I'm pretty sure they still have to have someone there to answer the phone during the day.

Slim

SunDog

We had our sqdn meeting, location not Fed dependent. Our flying club is a NAF, and is open. Schedule is jammed, between CAP  members dropping CAP aircraft and jumping over, and some maintenance spikes. Have learned to make CAP aircraft "extra" flying, and have another main option or two. Great if it's available, but availability not so certain. 75-25 split works for me. Situations vary of course. . .

Eclipse

NHQ just authorized self-funded proficiency flying as well as agency-funded missions.

Edit: Specifically C7, C12, and C14 missions.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on October 03, 2013, 10:55:37 PM
NHQ just authorized self-funded proficiency flying as well as agency-funded missions.

They must think we are in it for a long haul...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

SunDog

Brilliant, just so well planned - couldn't have had that figured out last week? Couldn't have forseen this contingency, and thought it out in advance? Who is driving thus bus. . .

Eclipse

It was two days during a week no one does anything anyway.

It's not like there were crews clamoring to fly and we've been tossing off the walls like World War Z.

Odds are 1/4 of the membership isn't even aware of the shutdown, let alone any cognizance it affects CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Crazy idea   ---- Any way that CAP might step in to help smooth out some of the civilian furloughs?  Granted, the vast majority of these jobs are going to be beyond what CAP members can pick up that quickly, but surely there are some basic needs that CAP members might help fill. 

Of course, if we had a working augmentation program we would already be somewhat positioned to do this. 

Eclipse

I'd be willing to bet that's not allowed for the same reason the furloughed employees themselves aren't allowed to show up for free.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quite possibly you're right about that.  But, it depends on if such augmentation was being done as a corporate or AFAM-assigned mission.  We've heard stories of various informal augmentation being done on AFBs basically as corporate missions though I personally would think that they should be AFAMs. 

I wonder how the shutdown would impact CAP Chaplain augmentation then?  I think those are done as AFAMs in some form or fashion, though I don't think they actually get mission numbers. 

Майор Хаткевич

How many chaplains do that, nationally.

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2013, 12:07:45 AM
Crazy idea   ---- Any way that CAP might step in to help smooth out some of the civilian furloughs?  Granted, the vast majority of these jobs are going to be beyond what CAP members can pick up that quickly, but surely there are some basic needs that CAP members might help fill. 

Of course, if we had a working augmentation program we would already be somewhat positioned to do this.

You don't even want to go there. Furloughed employees would not be happy to see unpaid "volunteers" basically taking food out of their families mouths.

NIN

National Guard facility was open, they even had the floor matting stuff from the workout room outside being cleaned and the workout equipment sitting in the middle of the drill hall.

Guard was the same old contract dude from every week.

The parking lot that I drive thru to get to the Armory was almost empty... usually, its not.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

RiverAux

Quote from: PHall on October 04, 2013, 01:31:54 AM

You don't even want to go there. Furloughed employees would not be happy to see unpaid "volunteers" basically taking food out of their families mouths.

Uh, our elected leaders are already taking food out of their mouths.  Whether CAP does or does not fill in behind them isn't going to move the needle on that. 

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they're not going to outsource AF civilian jobs to CAP members.  We might just help keep the lights on in a few offices. 

PHall

Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2013, 02:22:07 AM

Uh, our elected leaders are already taking food out of their mouths.  Whether CAP does or does not fill in behind them isn't going to move the needle on that. 

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they're not going to outsource AF civilian jobs to CAP members.  We might just help keep the lights on in a few offices.

I'm not worried at all since very, very few CAP members have CAC cards to enable them to do anything on a government computer.
And just about everything is done on the computer these days.

abdsp51

Quote from: PHall on October 04, 2013, 03:00:05 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on October 04, 2013, 02:22:07 AM

I'm not worried at all since very, very few CAP members have CAC cards to enable them to do anything on a government computer.
And just about everything is done on the computer these days.

Plus the cost and process involved to get them is a PIA.

SunDog

Quote from: Eclipse on October 04, 2013, 12:04:31 AM
It was two days during a week no one does anything anyway.

It's not like there were crews clamoring to fly and we've been tossing off the walls like World War Z.

Odds are 1/4 of the membership isn't even aware of the shutdown, let alone any cognizance it affects CAP.

Three days, or, about 1% of the days available in the FY. The "update" on eServices still says emergency missions only. I haven't seen any comms changing that, at least not yet.  We tend to goof around early in the FY, flying pro, self-funded check rides, things like that. About 1 in 4 of my checkrides happen in non-CAP aircraft.  On the plus side, I do get a notice to renew my membership on each log-in; looks like they have their priorities in order, per past performance.