GAO CAP/HLS study

Started by w7sar, November 04, 2012, 08:17:40 PM

docbiochem33

Any government study requires 4 more studies of the original study to make sure that study was correct and then 4 studies of the 4 new studies to ensure accuracy in those studies.

Garibaldi

Quote from: docbiochem33 on November 28, 2012, 04:08:30 AM
Any government study requires 4 more studies of the original study to make sure that study was correct and then 4 studies of the 4 new studies to ensure accuracy in those studies.

How long have you studied this?
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

JeffDG

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 28, 2012, 03:37:14 AM
CBP missions would probably raise Posse Comitatus issues anyway.
And I've never really understood that...(Note, I'm talking history here, not law or referring to the specifics of how the US Posse Comitatus Act came into being or has been interpreted over time)

Security of a nation-state's borders has traditionally been the sine qua non of a nation's military.  When did border control become something that it was inappropriate for the military to participate in?

ZigZag911

Agreed, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but border access is viewed strictly as a law enforcement issue.

RRLE

Quote from: JeffDG on November 28, 2012, 12:46:49 PMSecurity of a nation-state's borders has traditionally been the sine qua non of a nation's military.  When did border control become something that it was inappropriate for the military to participate in?

The US and its main border allies Canada and Mexico pride themselves on their demilitarized borders. Demilitarzied means no military. The US-Canada border was demilitarized as a result of the Rush-Bagot Treaty, which dates to the late 1800s. The US/Canada border is the world's longest demilitarized border. I am not aware of any such treaty vis-a-vie Mexico. That border remains largely demilitarized by tradition.

sarmed1

Quote from: ZigZag911 on November 28, 2012, 02:38:03 PM
Agreed, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but border access is viewed strictly as a law enforcement issue.

My guess is because with the exception of trying to prevent the entry of "terrorists" we are not at "war" to the extent that military involvement is the solution.  In essence those who gain entry without proper procedure are basically more like tresspassers rather than invaders.  Thse who bring "things" in illegally are trying to subvert the tax's we generate on goods and services not "subvert" our defenses.  So all "criminal" acts.  Some are no doubt citizens of the US (ie those doing/recieving the smuggled items...including people)  and that I think is the real major part if the issue of PC, use of military forces against our own citizens.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

SarDragon

Quote from: RRLE on November 29, 2012, 08:39:00 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on November 28, 2012, 12:46:49 PMSecurity of a nation-state's borders has traditionally been the sine qua non of a nation's military.  When did border control become something that it was inappropriate for the military to participate in?

The US and its main border allies Canada and Mexico pride themselves on their demilitarized borders. Demilitarzied means no military. The US-Canada border was demilitarized as a result of the Rush-Bagot Treaty, which dates to the late 1800s. The US/Canada border is the world's longest demilitarized border. I am not aware of any such treaty vis-a-vie vis-à-vis Mexico. That border remains largely demilitarized by tradition.

FTFY.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret